New "old" brush...Should I use it or not?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!

Should I use this brush or not?

Poll ended at Wed May 11, 2005 8:35 pm

No
33%
Yes
67%

Total votes: 15

honkdonker

New "old" brush...Should I use it or not?

Post by honkdonker »

I recently happened upon a never used "old" shaving brush, a pure badger Ever Ready 500PBT. While used ones are quite plentiful on ebay, I have never happened upon a pristine one before.

I got this for a song on Ebay, in the original box, entitled a "Rex Lather Brush" via Rexall Drugs. A clerk had handwritten "April - 67" on the box, so this puppy is almost 40 years old.

I can still faintly smell a bit of what must be the badger hair smell in the brush, but I have to open the breech and sniff pretty deeply. The brush is in gorgeous condition, and I am tickled pink with my find.

Here is my dilemma: Should I shave with this unit, or not? What do you guys think?

Thanks.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Honk, If you decided not to, what would be your reason? Gordon
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Did you purchase it to use and found it to be in better shape than you thought ? Did you purchase it because it was a good deal? Or, did you purchase it to collect. I guess it all depends on what your intent was. I don't see anything wrong with using it if you want to. On the other hand, If it was worth a good deal of money or it has sentimental value then I probably would shelf or display it.
Joey
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

The only good brush is a working brush!!! :D
I do not believe that this is considered a rare item. Other than for its (pristine?) new/unuised condtion I would go ahead and enjoy it. That provides for either collectiing or using or both!
Regards
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Gordon, I guess the only reason I would not use it is because I don't think there are very many unused brushes of this type available. It certainly isn't worth much money, so it would be because of the sort of rarity of it.

JoeDizzy, I purchased it because it was a great deal, only a couple of bucks, and because it was new "old" stock. I am not really a collector, as the only brush I use is the magnificent Floris I obtained from Gordon some time ago.

Ron, I agree, it is not a rare item, per se. I certainly am not naive enough to think it would ever be worth much, that is for sure.

Maybe I need to get another brush like a SR, or Vulfix, or Kent, or better yet, a Plisson or Mooney...

Thanks.