Brushes by Rakowski ??

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ex-user

Brushes by Rakowski ??

Post by ex-user »

Good morning gentlemen...

Has anyone here purchased one of the "Rakowski" brushes that are offered regularly on eBay?

I would be grateful for any comments regarding the quality/characteristics
of these brushes.

Thanks in advance

Robert
Percypurps

Post by Percypurps »

I won the Birds Eye Maple shaving brush offered in the last batch but I have yet to receive it. I know that Dinder1 who posts on B&B won one of the horn handled brushes from the same group , maybe ask him. I'll get some pics up when mine arrives.
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Hi guys!

This may be gravedigging, but . . . Mr. Rakowski has a website:
http://www.tjrakowski.com/

Looks like he makes lotsa good stuff!

~Tim 8)

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I've not read any "rave" reviews, but I understand there is a tendancy to have an overabundance of glue at the base of the bristles.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Percypurps

Post by Percypurps »

Sorry for not getting anything up sooner, I forgot all about this thread.
I'm still working through some camera issues at the moment so no pictures yet, but I can offer the following observations:
1. The handle is nicely made, it looks good and is reassuringly comfortable in the hand.
2: Unfortunately, the overall quality control is not quite so good, the actual knot is not centred (this is nit picking of the highest order, I know) but it does detract from the aesthetic appeal of the brush.
3. Although none of the glue has entered the actual knot of badger hair (which is a complaint I have heard voiced before) it is clearly visible at the base of the knot.
4. The badger hair is certainly not the highest quality I have encountered, the indivdual shafts are very thin and have a tendency to form "spider's legs".
5. The knot is quite loosely packed, and this in combination with the thin bristles makes for a very soft and moppish brush; makes my Kent BK4 look like a Simpson's Chubby.
This may sound very negative, but given the immense amount of pride Mr Rakowski seems to take in his work and the assurances he makes concerning the performance of his product, I wouldn't dismiss these brushes out of hand. True, there are issues with the overall quality of the actual knot, but the handles are well made. Perhaps if the owner was able to source a better quality badger hair things could improve exponentially. Or, seeing as he undertakes custom work, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend having the handle amde by Rakowski and then having the brush bristled by the likes of Shavemac.
Regards,
PP
Last edited by Percypurps on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

There have been a couple of threads over at B&B, if you are inclined to brave another forum and do a search.
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for the link Tim, he DOES make some nice looking stuff. Too bad the quality is apparently not up to snuff (thanks PP). Although the suggestion of having him do a base and then have Shavemac add the bristles is a good one.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Rakowski

Rakowski Shaving Brushes

Post by Rakowski »

I'm flattered, I had no clue my product was being discussed on this neat site. My name is Tom Rakowski, I am the creative person behind my line of brushes. Originally, my claim to fame have been pipe tampers. I chose to create a new product simply because the existing brushes on the market are at best stale, the designs lacks any basic imagination. I don't know about you, but I like function and artistic form. I'm not knocking the competition, I'm just saying I wanted something beautiful. Since I could not buy it I decided to make it. The entire design cycle took over a year to develope. I source my Silvertip and Super Badger from the same suppliers as the "big name" companies. I know this for a fact.

A little about my brushes:

Yes, there was a small issue of exposed glue in the brushes, this matter has been remedied and the glue problem is simply an afterthought. Done.

Furthermore: the individual shafts are consistent in diameter and noticably stiffer then comparable models. I own about 78 brushes (what can I say ...I'm one of the afflicted) I have done comparative tests to conclude this notion, however I respect individual opinions and perception plays a major role in evaluation.

In ref. to brush quality, I do not cut corners here, I source the finest and would not have it any other way. Again, individual opinions vary, but know this: you are purchasing the best quality that I can possibly deliver.

I have met so many interesting people since I started making brushes, it is absolutely wonderful. I thank you kindly for your business, for your words of encouragement and for your critical analysis. I will have some very different models coming out soon, something that detracts from the traditional shape. Stay tuned!

Thank you again!
Tom J. Rakowski
www.tjrakowski.com
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

'Gravedigging'! I know just what you mean, Tim. You shouldn't encourage us.

That's a very dangerous site you have there, Mr Rakowski!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Re: Rakowski Shaving Brushes

Post by drP »

Rakowski wrote: I own about 78 brushes
Only 78 :shock: ...........

Hey, i'm still the Alpha guy on top of the rock :lol:
Peter
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

drP wrote:

drP, you know the pressure is on. The 100th brush is going to have to be something really special.
Richard
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

rustyblade wrote:
drP wrote:

drP, you know the pressure is on. The 100th brush is going to have to be something really special.
I was thinking of one of these........... :shock:

Peter
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Rakowski wrote:I have met so many interesting people since I started making brushes, it is absolutely wonderful. I thank you kindly for your business, for your words of encouragement and for your critical analysis. I will have some very different models coming out soon, something that detracts from the traditional shape. Stay tuned!
I'm not big on brushes (I do own one of yours), but some of your str8s that I've seen on Ebay are stunning.
Joe
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

pp, I appreciate your detailed desciption. I must say that all in all, these do not sound very appealing, not for someone who is interested in a shave brush as a good working tool, anyway. If they can make a BK4 seem like a Chubby by comparison, well, I think I'll pass.

Peter, Yes definately! One of those MUST be your 100th brush! Why, it's just perfect!.....sigh.....not a pretty 'disease'...no...

Gordon
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Looking back at my last post, I realize I didn't discuss the brush (duh!). I bought it because the wood was beautiful and it was silver tip badger, although not the "real" stuff some guys will tell you about here. It may even be that it has most, or all, of the characteristics discussed here, but since it's commercial it's probably what the industry, failing to consult us, has mistakenly defined as silver tip.

This has nothing to do with Mr. Raskowski, just the fact that some of the guys here have their own definition of the "real" thing as meaning a particular type of Manchurian or the equivalent (newbies, ignore this whole issue and buy what you like, forget names and snob appeal). Mr. Razkowski's silver tip is as real as reputable manufacturers' who've been in the business a LONG time.

My only complaint is that the knot feels kind of sparse, although the handle is a beautiful piece of work and the brush well constructed. I'm sure part of it is me because I'm used to using much bigger brushes, like a BK8 and the original SMF brush. This one is small, but I have one that size I bought years ago at Hoffritz which is real badger, and it feels a lot denser. I wash the Razkowski bristles in my hot water to remove all the lather, before a cold rinse and shake-out. When I squeeze out the lather and hot water, it always feels thin, and I can't help feeling disappointed.

The hairs are fine quality and soft and the brush creates a good lather and applies it well, but doesn't feel as plush on my face (or make the lather as thick) as my other brushes. At that price you could get a plain looking best badger with more utility, but without the artistic appeal.

Mr. Razkowski, my suggestion would be to have a denser knot. I don't know how much it would affect the price, but I sure would have liked it in a brush that looks as great as this one.
Joe
Rakowski

Rakowski Brushes

Post by Rakowski »

I took the liberty of compiling the most thought provoking questions/critiques concerning my product. I take this information very seriously since it allows me to constantly "stay on top of my craft". To satisfy "some" speculation concerning the quality of my product I have a FAQ on my website: www.tjrakowski.com

Is my product world class? I don't dwell on it. But I will challenge ANY manufacturer in the world to an unbiased performance test. As they say: Bring it On! I've had this challenge for over a year and no takers. As a degreed engineer the tests I have done are conclusive and repeatable per standard testing models (the same ones used to determine deflection rates in natural bristles).

In ref to brush density: it is packed as dense as it could get, any more dense and it would be in the next knot size range. The quality is as good as its going to get for a premium badger Silvertip and Super Badger. Yes, there is a difference between the two pedigrees, they are not mutually interchangeable. Anyone that tells you that Silvertip is Superbadger is WRONG.

Let's face it, I'm a new face in an industry dominated by 100+ year old names and royal warrants, I'm having a blast!

In the upcoming weeks I will introduce more designs, stay tuned and thank you for all your input, keep it coming!

Happy Shaving!
Tom J. Rakowski
www.tjrakowski.com
Rakowski

Rakowski Brush bodies with any brush head you like

Post by Rakowski »

Goodmorning!

This morning during my early workout (35 mile bike ride, kinds short since I was in a hurry). I do my best thinking on the bike since there are no interruptions, no tel calls, maybe the occasional rattlesnake on the Texas backroads. With the addition of offering you my brand of Silvertip and Super Badger shaving brushes, I decided to add a twist, here is my idea:

I will carve any handle you like either from my regular production models or custom work. You supply your brush and I install your brush head into my handle.

*OR*

You can take my brush body and have any manufacturer you like custom mount their brush head.

Right now I am working on tooling to create some more classy, unique, "outside the box" perhaps daring shapes.

All your input has been wonderful, What do you think??
Tom J. Rakowski
www.tjrakowski.com