Simpson Chubby 3 Super appraisal

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
JackieMartling

Simpson Chubby 3 Super appraisal

Post by JackieMartling »

I have used the Simpson Chubby 3 Super now for a little over a week, and have alternated it with the Kent BK8 a couple times. Keep in mind, the following is simply my opinion based on a week's worth of use. I do not purport it to be anything other than opinion, and accept that others might disagree with it, or might have had different experiences. Also, in time, my opinion on the matter could change. Having said all of that, in short, I have two conclusions: one, I think I prefer the Simpson to the Kent, but only marginally (keep in mind that I adore the BK8, so for me to like the Chubby even marginally better is saying something); two, the Simpson does not result in a better shave than the BK8. Some explanation is in order. The second conclusion is self-explanatory: in essence, I am not noticing I get a better shave using the Simpson than I do using the Kent. Other factors, such as razor type, blade type, cream type, shaving technique, etc., have a much more dramatic impact on the quality of my shave than the difference between these two brushes. It supports Gordon's theory of diminishing returns, that once you reach a certain level of quality in a brush (I would say the Kent BK or the Vulfix Super level), small, incremental increases in quality come at an increasingly greater cost. So, from that standpoint, do you need to spend $380 for a Simpson instead of $130 on a Vulfix or Kent? In my opinion, no. Would you want to? That's a different matter.

Which leads me back to my first conclusion. Why do I prefer the Simpson? Well, for one, I like the feel of the hair better. I love the Kent's softness; it is very luxurious and a pleasure to use. But the stouter Simpson silvertip feels more "responsive" on my face. I do not find it to be scratchy, just stiffer. I do not object to the stiffer hair at all, and so far neither does my face. It's really a personal thing, and hard to explain. Both hair grades whip up a good lather. The biggest difference between the Chubby 3 and the BK8, though, is the density of the knot. The Kent has a 26mm knot, the Chubby 3 a 30mm knot (maybe 29mm). However, the Kent is less densely packed and has opened up to the point where its brush head actually looks bigger than that of the Simpson. Only when you look at the knot itself can you see that the Simpson is actually thicker, and thus "bigger." Between the stouter hair and the denser knot, which is also bigger in size, the Simpson just feels more substantial on my face, although not at all unwieldy. I have heard people say a 30mm knot is huge, really too big, but I find I like it; it feels right to me. The knot is also more deeply set in the handle on the Simpson. Emily of Em's Place taught me the trick of taking my index finger, poking down into the center of the bucket, and visualizing from the outside the point at which I cannot push down any further. That point is the top of the knot, and gives an indication of where it is set. On the Kent, it seems my finger stops just slightly above where the hair meets the handle. On the Simpson, it feels like it is below the handle line. This might, in theory, allow for the Simpson to retain more heat, but I am not noticing a substantial difference in heat retention between the two brushes. One area where I prefer the Kent is the handle. As Gordon has mentioned, the Chubby has quite a thick handle, and it can be a little bit cumbersome. The Kent fits more comfortably in my hand and is just easier to work with. The Chubby is less so, but not in a way I find bothersome or annoying, just not as ideally comfortable to use as the Kent.

Considering the Chubby cost almost three times as much as the BK8, do I like it almost three times better? Certainly not. Do I regret having purchased the Chubby? Definitely not. I bought it for variety, primarily, and to see what all the fuss was about with Simpson. I feel it has broadened my understanding of shaving brushes in general, and hair grades in particular. I appreciate the qualities of both brushes, and feel the Simpson is a very nice addition to my shaving collection. I will continue to use both brushes as my mood dictates, but for now find myself using the Simpson more often, and enjoying it just a bit more. I am glad to have it.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Sat May 07, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Very informative post. Since I responded at length over at Wetshavers, I won't repeat it all here. Suffice to say, that your recent experiance does seem to mesh with my notion that the actual performance cut-off for shave brushes, is in the $100-$150 area, and that beyond that price, one's chiefly into the realm of nuace, personal preference, and other psychological factors. Of course, buying a brush for such factors is perfectly valid, there's no need to pretend that it's otherwise. But, it's likewise wrong to try and tell new wet shavers that they somehow 'need' a $300-$500 brush in order to have a 'really good one' that will do the job properly. Regards, Gordon
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Nice post Nathan; articulate and informative as usual.
Joey
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I concur with everyone else. Nathan's writing is always well-crafted and a pleasure to read.

I also feel better now, since I'll never be able to spend $350 on a brush! :lol:

I think a Vulfix #41 or the equivalent Savile Row is in my future though.

The brush I have is simply too damned big for regular use. Now, before you all start asking... It is a handmade brush with a redwood handle from a gentleman on Yahoo StraighRazorPlace that I bought a little while ago. Here are the specs:

- No. 1 Quality Super Badger bristles, 29mm knot shaving brush head imported from China.

- Handle height: 3-2/8 inches

- Bristle height: 2-6/8 inches.

- Total Height: 6 inches

The bristles "bloom" about the size of a med. apple! So much so that there is no way to have them all in contact with the QED soap at one time (which can get pretty messy while building a lather).
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko