Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Post by brothers » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 pm

That's been my assumption. Regarding the practicality of putting a nylon washer between the handle and the base plate of a safety razor. I've not read of any complaints made about scratching or wearing having any effect on the performance of someone's razor. For the sake of discussion would it be fair to think it's more a matter of vanity or anticipated cosmetic issue as opposed to preventing a specific malfunction?
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

John Rose

Re: Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

Post by John Rose » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:48 pm

:-k
No.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 am

Gary, I take my razor apart and clean it up after every shave, so it would cause more wear than someone doing the same once a week. I also have only done this with certain expensive stainless steel razors, as I don't think stainless steel is as hard as chrome.

I'd say I did it for some combination of practical and cosmetic considerations.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 am

Isn't a chrome razor just chrome plated (on top of soft brass or pot metal)?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm

drmoss_ca wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 am
Isn't a chrome razor just chrome plated (on top of soft brass or pot metal)?
Yes, but the chrome plating doesn't seem to scratch as easily. (I can't state this empirically.)

I might also note, in answer to Gary's original question, that protecting an expensive razor against scratching helps to maintain its value in the event of future resale. I haven't resold any of my razors, but John, whose ad is the reason behind this thread, has.

- Murray

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Sounds like a commendable practice, especially when there is a high end shaving instrument involved. A prospective buyer/collector will hopefully be reassured that the seller habitually takes great care when he uses his razors. I think I mis-used the term "vanity" in my posts, for which I apologize. Actually, now that I've been made aware of this practice I will get myself a few washers, and will install one on my own razor.

Edit: The question just now occurred to me, as I think about it. Does it work? I have assumed that nylon under pressure will not scuff or rub the surface or finish of the metal razor base. Nylon is a very strong substance. Just a bit of a puzzle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Nylon is also used for simple bearings.
I would worry that a nylon washer would allow a head to come unscrewed more easily, so it could become a safety issue.
A thin rubber O-ring might be better. Or, a washer fabricated from a bicycle inner tube.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 am

I don't know what material the one washer I have in use is made of. It is a soft material, so it shouldn't scratch. I bought it after I noticed that the polished stainless finish on my new iKon razor was getting scratched between the handle and the razor bed.

Washers come in different thicknesses, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that doesn't take up too much space on the spindle.

- Murray

brothers

Post by brothers » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 am

The material used should have a bit of friction between the surfaces, as is the case without a washer, so the head won't tend to loosen up during use.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 am

I'm thinking glove leather, real or vinyl.

primotenore

Post by primotenore » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 am

John Rose wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm
Nylon is also used for simple bearings.
I would worry that a nylon washer would allow a head to come unscrewed more easily, so it could become a safety issue.
A thin rubber O-ring might be better. Or, a washer fabricated from a bicycle inner tube.
Actually, I find the nylon washer allows for a tighter tighten-down. Never had an issue with the handle coming loose. I like the idea of the washer and use one on all of my non-TTO razors.
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>