Stahly Live Blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rmcnelly

Stahly Live Blade

Post by rmcnelly »

After getting fairly good at using my Gillette HD Adjustable, I've been using a Stahly Live Blade found on eBay. Anyone else using one of these?

This is a 3-1/2" tall, very heavy/dense DE razor, with a wind up mechanism that causes it to vibrate for a few minutes after turning the base a few times. It's given me very close shaves, and I'm quite taken with it. It came in a square plastic box, and I have no idea of it's age.

Having to wind it periodically is a pain, but I use a rag to get a good grip.

The interesting thing, is the blade is mounted at a slight angle to the safety bar, and upper curved cap. I doubt the angle is anything as steep as a Slant Bar, but it is very noticable, and probably contributes to the nice shaves I've been getting.

Keep an eye on eBay for these things, but ask the seller if it works first. I've heard some have broken springs or were wound too tight.
--Rick
Gold GEM Micromatic tapered handle
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
themba

Post by themba »

I received one of these in a trade with a friend. I a new to the DE world, so I have been using a Gillette adjustable also recieved in a trade. Mine works when you wind it up, but I have been to scared to put it to my face. You are right, I does have some weight to it.
rmcnelly

Post by rmcnelly »

When you feel comfortable with the Gillette, give the Stahly a try. It really gives a smooth shave.
--Rick
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
growler

Post by growler »

I've seen these on eBay and thought they were a gimmick. They really work well?
themba

Post by themba »

As I mentioned before I have not tried mine vibrating yet. However, a word of caution if anyone intends to buy one; Make such that the seller claims it is working. Some are being sold as: "I have not tried it" or " I don't know how it works". It works by twisting the base, only about two or three full turns. You may be able to wind it more, but if you over wind this razor you will damage it. I don't think these are easily fixed either. I am more anxious to use mine, but mostly out of curiousity than anything else.
rmcnelly

Post by rmcnelly »

Growler,

I've been shaving with mine for several days now and am pleased with the results. I've suddenly broke out with several ingrown hairs though, which I've not had using a Gillette HD Adj.

The vibration removes some of the feedback you get from the razor. When shaving against the grain going up my neck, I can feel the resistance when hitting tougher hairs, and let the razors vibration pull it thru rather than applying any more pressure.

It may very well be a gimmick, but it doesn't shave any worse. If the ingrown hairs continue to be a problem, I'll switch back to the Gillette and see if it clears up.
--Rick
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I just got a working Stahly from ebay. It is definitely a hefty razor.

I know this may sound stupid, but how do you put a blade in it? :-k
Danny
rmcnelly

Post by rmcnelly »

The head screws off. Grasp the ends, and turn counterclockwise :-)
--Rick
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

rmcnelly wrote:The head screws off. Grasp the ends, and turn counterclockwise :-)
Thanks! I didn't want to force anything. :)
Danny
rmcnelly

Post by rmcnelly »

I've been using the Stahly as my primary razor for quite some time now. My Gillette HD adjustable, Shick injector, and PAL Adjustable injector are gathering dust.

The Stahly's weight seems to give a great shave. My routine is to give it 7 quick half winds, shave half of the face, 7 quick rewinds again, repeat for each pass.
--Rick
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

I recently got a Stahly off ebay and found it rather akward to use and the vibration seems more for show. So I unscrew the fat handle and replaced it with a skinny Gillette tech handle and it's turned out to be a dandy razor, the guard bars are better made the most mass produce razors I'm sure in it's time it was a pricey razor. Bob.
growler

Post by growler »

Interesting idea! And since I have two Stahly's, I just might give that a try!
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

I've had one in my collection a long time and used it a few times, but it really isn't comfortable to use. For some reason, the vibration seems overdone. I find that the mild vibration on an M3P or Fusion is much more effective. It seems to be tuned to the razor.
Joe