Plastic throwaway

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
shaveC

Plastic throwaway

Post by shaveC »

Today I went to visit someone in the hospital and saw something very interesting on the table in their room. It was a plastic disposable DE, he said the nurse used it to shave him. He had a couple of small nicks lol. Anyone ever seen these things? I broke the top off to find out what blade was in it, but they are not labeled.
themba

Post by themba »

I have seen them on medical supply sites when I was searching to see if guarded DE blades where still made. As you stated, they were used for "medical prep" Basically, to shave patients.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Devin has shaved a few male patients at the nursing home she's doing her clinical in with those same plastic razors.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
shaveC

Post by shaveC »

Think they are worth trying? lol
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Exactly right. These razors are used to prep patients for surgery. I’ve used them frequently (on patients), and tried them myself once or twice when I forgot my own while on-call. From my recollection, I would take a pass; they’re pretty rough going.

Steve
penshaver

Post by penshaver »

a google search on 'double edge patient prep razor' gets you lots of hits.... ASR even makes them, using 'comfort coated stainless steel blades".... They seem to go for about 35 cents apiece in bulk, hundred piece lots.... but they probably don't give you that wonderful 'superspeed' weighted balanced feel..... ;-)

Steve L.
QUI ME AMAT, AMET ET CANEM MEUM.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Once when I bought some razors from Phil Krumholz (Razorman2) on eBay, he included one of these razors as a free bonus. I guess the reason they might be preferred to (say) a Bic is that you get two edges to shave with before having to clean hair out of the blade.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

While not the same, they made me think of these razors from Blademail:

Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Oh, here you go. From ASR's website:

Richard
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I first saw these disposable DE razors 20 months ago, when I was diagnosed with two blockages in arteries around my heart-at age 38 (bad family history, my Dad died at 42 of a massive heart attack). Before my angioplasty & stinting, and ever since during checkups my Cardiologist office has used these razors to prep for surgery, tests etc.

I finally swiped one of these razors out of curiosity. I tried to shave with it, but it was sheer torture. I cut my face up and was irritates for days. Never again.
Cheers,

Craig
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

rustyblade wrote:Image
It might be the angle, but these look as if they have only one edge - I can't see the fingers of a comb on the rear-side. Are they actually Gem-like blades inside?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Chris, they are dual sided. In the top picture look at the clip on guard.

ASR also have a PDF here: http://www.asrco.com/content_items/pdfs ... r_line.pdf
Richard