Question about DE (per side usage)

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
zecarioca

Question about DE (per side usage)

Post by zecarioca »

Hi,

I have seen various posts about how many shaves can one get out of a DE razor. While it is individual, the consensus seems to be around a week's worth or so. Is this an estimate of per side usage or per blade (both sides)?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion of how to monitor or ensure that both sides are getting equal usage, to avoid one side being overused, and the other underused?

Thanks,
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

z;

As a matter of habit picked up when I first started using a DE, I rotate the razor 180 degrees after every stroke. That insures both edges get pretty much the same usage. I have done it so long now it is just part of the routine and not a conscious act. Even so, I change blades every 4-5 shaves and don't push the usage. Some guys can get 7+ shaves from a blade, so it depends on the individual. Curiously, I also get about 4-5 shaves from an injector or a SE razor. Go figure.

BobS
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i individual tastes vary, but i shave a couple of strokes on one side of the blade, spin the razor and shave a couple of strokes on the other side of the blade then rinse the razor. i figure that this gets me close enough to side equality.

reguarding length or blade usage - i change out my blade every monday morning. the blade might be able to go a touch longer but i see no point in pushing the limits. at this rate a $16.50 box of 100 blades will last me nearly two years.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I get 5-6 days of shaves out of a blade. I also mse the method above where I stroke a time or two, flip and use the other side then rinse and repeat. Seems to wear the sides pretty evenly.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Most people just use both sides of the blade when they shave.

These blades are not expensive, so there's no reason to obsees about it. The simplest thing is to change your blades on schedule. For example, if they last you a week, every Monday. Or if you have a five razor rotation, the first of the month. That let's enjoy the shaving instead of scheduling blade changes.
Joe
timc

Post by timc »

Joe Lerch wrote:Most people just use both sides of the blade when they shave.

These blades are not expensive, so there's no reason to obsees about it. The simplest thing is to change your blades on schedule. For example, if they last you a week, every Monday. Or if you have a five razor rotation, the first of the month. That let's enjoy the shaving instead of scheduling blade changes.
Or with a 60 razor rotation, you can change once a year. :shock:
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

timc wrote:

You catch on quick!
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Gatorade wrote:
timc wrote:

You catch on quick!
Cute, but there's a point where it doesn't work, because you use the razor so infrequently that the blade rusts or otherwise deteriorates between uses.
Joe
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

divotmax wrote:z;

As a matter of habit picked up when I first started using a DE, I rotate the razor 180 degrees after every stroke.
ditto
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

The Splott Method, named after the district of Cardiff where I lived doing my postgrad stuff. (Yes, it exists. "I know: let's call it 'Splott'." The mind boggles.)

It goes like this:

Shave, shave, sha-- SPLOTT, ick [TWIST RAZOR 180°] shave, shave, shave, sh-- SPLOTT, ugh [RINSE RAZOR] shave, shave shav-- SPLOTT etc., da capo al fine.

The complementary blade-changing routine is similar:

Shave, sha-- OW, shave OW, shave shave SPLOTT, ow [TWIST RAZOR] Shave, OW, [THINKS: DAMN CREAM} shave SPLOTT ouch [RINSE] sha-- ouch [THINKS: DAMN WATER] sh-- YIKES :idea: Voice From Space He Say C H A N G E . . . B L A D E , E A R T H . . . F O O L

[CHANGES BLADE].

See how easy it is when you have a system?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
JP

Post by JP »

Aw heck! All you need is a stroke counter built into the handle. :P
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you use one side exclusively for x days, and then the other side for x days, you have too much to remember. Just turn after each stroke, and get a new blade when this one seems done.
Higesori

Post by Higesori »

notthesharpest wrote:If you use one side exclusively for x days, and then the other side for x days, you have too much to remember. Just turn after each stroke, and get a new blade when this one seems done.
Agree. On top of changing sides, maybe we should flip it upside down every y days or strokes to make sure we have even wear and tear on the blade (and our face) . . . too complicated and bothersome for a relatively cheap item that's supposed to give us relaxation and enjoyment!
Derek
Headshave

Post by Headshave »

Shave one cheek, rotate. Shave other cheek, rinse.
Shave one side of "neck to throat", rotate. Shave other side of "neck to throat", rinse.
Reapply lather, repeat process but going s-n.

Day 4, change blade before beginning.

Tesco blades are £2 for 10. Hardly a bank-breaking routine. :)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Higesori wrote:Agree. On top of changing sides, maybe we should flip it upside down every y days or strokes to make sure we have even wear and tear on the blade (and our face) . . . too complicated and bothersome for a relatively cheap item that's supposed to give us relaxation and enjoyment!
An edge doesn't have two sides. That's why they call it "edge". :) Flipping the blade upside down has no effect - or if it does, it means your blade was already damaged beyond usefulness.
wernst

Post by wernst »

I guess I am in the minority here about blase-side usage:

I simply pay no attention to it, provided Im using something like a SS where the "front" and "back" sides are impossible to tell apart.

I figure that via random chance I will more-or-less use both sides of the blade over the course of a week. So far, no problems.

Things change when I use an adjustable, which has a definate front and back, thanks to the indicator that points to a number on the adjustment ring. For these razors I have a totally stupid system that suggests I am much more compulsive than I actually am:

If the number on the adjustment ring is odd, then that's the side I use on Odd numbered days. If that number is even, then that's the side I do on Even numbered days.

-Warr