Review of the Gillette New Red-&-Black

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
2clfrwrds

Review of the Gillette New Red-&-Black

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Gillette New razors are easily available in antique stores and on The Bay, and they're cheap compared to Gillette Adjustables. Usually the gold plating is worn through, and before they're cleaned up, they're downright ugly; they're inexpensive because there's not much demand.

Mine is called a "Red and Black," because of the two-toned box:
This is a very common razor, sold from 1930-1939. Mine came with a cardboard pack of Divico Hair Cut Blades, which will stay safely in the box!

The three-piece design is astonishingly simple.
The blade fits over a threaded stud on the cap, which has a fin to orient the blade. The saddle has a full-length notch to accept the fin, and the stud fits through the hole. The handle has a threaded socket to secure the head assembly. You won't have any blade alignment worries if you buy a used New!

The design is elegant when compared to a Gillette Fatboy.
It's clear, when the blades of the two razors are placed at the same level, that the handle of the New is shorter, and the head angle is much shallower. The head of the New is wider, but it's more manouverable, due to its shallowness. The New weighs less than the Fatboy (with all its moving parts), and the New is just as well balanced in the hand.

Here you can see the blade exposure.
You'll also see that the cap isn't gold anymore, but more the color of copper plumbing pipe! This razor had only a few freckles of gold plating left when I got it, so to clean it up, I just hit it hard with Brasso. Cleaning the razor was quick, not having to worry about maintaining any gold finish, and it makes no difference in the shaving performance. Incidentally, the handle had what looked like Vice-Grip gouges -- maybe the handle had been screwed on too tightly at some point. This lowered the purchase price, and since I wasn't worried about preserving the gold, I easily cleaned up the damage with a fine file and an emory board.

So, how does it shave? I've used it twice now, and I enjoy it very much. (As required by law: YMMV!) At first I was concerned about shaving with an open comb, but this is quite a mild razor, and isn't for you men who've modified your Adjustables! My first shave was not very close, because I was so conservative; the second shave was outstanding, as good as any razor/blade combo I've tried so far: comfortable, smooth, and long-lasting. Plus, when shaving, it's fun to watch the lather filter through the teeth of the comb, and the way it piles up on the bottom of the head:
The shallow head makes it harder to maintain the proper angle when my attention wanders, but I'm sure it will become automatic in time. The real test? After today's shave, I splashed on some Pinaud Clubman: a little warmth, but no burn. That's a good shave!

Given all the shave cremes/lotions/balms/scents I've accumulated, I have only enough room for three razors on my "Daily Shaver" shelf. For months, the three spots have been held by my go-to Gillette Slim, the trusty Fatboy, and a sentimental favorite, a '55 Superspeed. But now which razor will take the third spot? Whose shaves get the raves?
It's the New! The Fatboy is demoted to the storage bin under the sink, with (gasp) the old electric!

--Glenn
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Bump

Glen
Are you still using the Red and Black? I saw one the other day at a flea market, decided against it because the outside teeth were bent, musta been dropped. I think I'll search for one.
Steve/Bronco

Post by nodaktim »

Steve,

I have one as well (I know...surprise, surprise...huh, <sarcastically>).

They are nice shavers. I prefer the Israeli Crystals in mine...(again, I know...surprise, surprise...huh, <sarcastically>)
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Thanks Tim, I'm going shopping!

I know you saw this the other day from Charlie
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16668
Should be interesting to see where else they pop up!
Steve/Bronco

Post by nodaktim »

Yeah, I did. I still prefer "Crystal" to "Navarro" though.

I believe the Gillette 'NEW' razor is a tad bit more aggressive than say a Gillette Tech though. So, keep that in mind.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Right - Crystal, since I have billions!

I enjoy my red tip SS so I should enjoy it.
Do you have a red tip, does it compare?
Steve/Bronco

Post by nodaktim »

jslfl wrote:Right - Crystal, since I have billions!

I enjoy my red tip SS so I should enjoy it.
Do you have a red tip, does it compare?
Sorry Steve. I do not have the red-tip SS to compare them.
~ Tim ~

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

A lot of us like the shave these give. I have two gold ones with worn finish. I'm still hoping to find a silver-colored one with a good finish at a moderate price. They aren't as common, but I don't think people bid them up all that much, either.
c white

Post by c white »

Nice review. This is a razor everyone should try since they're so easy (and cheap) to find. Don't let the open comb scare you, this is about the mildest razor I've ever used, in fact, for me it's infuriatingly mild. I have better luck with the NEWs without the coat hanger shaped teeth.
Last edited by c white on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris
royalcrown

Post by royalcrown »

Cool review - for some reason I like the look of old razors... once they've been cleaned.

I love the irony of that razor name. "New." And the first picture is it in that rusty box.

Enjoy the shaving
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

royalcrown wrote:Cool review - for some reason I like the look of old razors... once they've been cleaned.

I love the irony of that razor name. "New." And the first picture is it in that rusty box.

Enjoy the shaving
Yeah, nothing like a "NEW" that is 70 years old and anything but "new". :D
~ Tim ~

cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

Here's mine.

royalcrown

Post by royalcrown »

That looks as good as new!

OK, I'm done with the cheesy puns -blows brains out-

Seriously though, nice restorative work.
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

royalcrown wrote:That looks as good as new!

OK, I'm done with the cheesy puns -blows brains out-

Seriously though, nice restorative work.
I was lucky to get one in good shape. I used some neutral shoe polish on the box to bring out the luster.
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Mike, that is fantastic! Thanks for the pictures!

That settles it, this razor is on my list to look for.

Wonder if Glenn knows we brought his thread back to life?
Steve/Bronco

Post by nodaktim »

jslfl wrote:Mike, that is fantastic! Thanks for the pictures!

That settles it, this razor is on my list to look for.

Wonder if Glenn knows we brought his thread back to life?
I believe he is still out of the country on that business trip of his to...Brazil I think.
~ Tim ~

Stubble

Post by Stubble »

I have a NEW also, very nice razor and a real pleasure to use. Sometimes I use a Feather, other times a Sharp, either way a great shave.
Being that they are really a nice razor, I'm surprised they don't get more mention on the forums. Additionally, they are fairly inexpensive to get.............even the dreaded "bay" has them at fairly decent prices.
Best, Ken
Stubble
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I really like the look of these razors and feel that they are underappreciated for the most part and sell quite inexpensively on eBay. The cased ones are very nice but as Pauldog said, the Silver-tone NEW is handsome. I'm going to hate to sell this one.
Mike
robert-00

Gillette Red & Black

Post by robert-00 »

This razor was sold as the Red & Black Special for 50 cents in 1939. The metal case was covered in 'Texol' fabric. It was advertised as gold plated. Some of the razors in this case also had a knurled 'Brownie' style handle, the one with the knob on the end.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

jslfl wrote: Glenn
Are you still using the Red and Black? I saw one the other day at a flea market, decided against it because the outside teeth were bent, musta been dropped. I think I'll search for one.
Steve, absolutely I still use this puppy. Today I had 2 day's worth of beard, and the NEW is great for that: open comb and a gentle design.

Good call, not buying one with bent teeth. I've never been able to straighten them without breaking them off.

BTW I made a mistake in this review, not capitalizing the razor's name. Most people refer to it as a NEW, I think because that's the way Gillette spelled it inside the covers of some cases.

--Glenn
Last edited by 2clfrwrds on Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.