Superspeed sampler

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I just scored a very lovely 1959 SuperSpeed flare tip on eBay. I also have a few Aristocrats ('40's vintage, I believe), several Techs and a 1951 SuperSpeed black tip. I haven't been shaving with DEs

I had heard that the late '50s SuperSpeeds might be a touch more aggressive than the Aristocrat, but just by looking at the heads of the Aristocrats and the '51 and '59 SuperSpeeds, they look pretty much identical. True?

Also, I assume that Merkur, specifically the 1904, shaves a touch more aggressively than a SuperSpeed. Can anyone comment?

Dave
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Re: Superspeed sampler

Post by With The Grain »

totally bumping my own thread, i think was my best, though its probably out dated and maybe wrong now. Just made a new convert who i think will be browsing super speeds as per, perhaps, my outdated, recommendation.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Speaking of aggressiveness, did anyone ever come up with a good way to measure blade exposure that correlated well with aggressiveness?
OneMoreW

Post by OneMoreW »

Interesting stuff. I just bought a couple razors on eBay for $11.50 (a steal for any Gillete) and included in the two razor deal were a blue tip, no biggie there, and what appears to be yellow or tan tip 40s Style Super Speed. I am digging around everywhere to find anything out about this bad boy. Some say black with paint taken off (black ips were not painted anything I do not think but black plastic throughout (correct me if I am wrong) in any event looking at the pic taken from the ends of the handles, looks like plastic and consistent color throughout to me. Some have suggested too much sun fading the black to tan or yellow? And some have suggested bleach or another cleaning solution producing this color.

I am looking for opinions, ideas, suggestions on how to test or who to contact and etc

Any help out there?
tan-tip-1.jpg
tan-tip-1.jpg (155.28 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
tan-tip-2.jpg
tan-tip-2.jpg (174.54 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
tan-tip-3.jpg
tan-tip-3.jpg (237.92 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
tan-tip-4.jpg
tan-tip-4.jpg (179.34 KiB) Viewed 1488 times