i have it bad for a str8

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

i have it bad for a str8

Post by Sam »

well, shaved with my first str8, a cheapie that someone gave me. i dont know what to look for, but i want a new one. god, i need help. i am jonesing bad. dont wanna pay a lot, but get a good bargain. someone HELPPPPPPPPPPP

sam
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

But Sam..how did your first str8 shave go? Was it close and comfortable? Or was it a bad shave?
:::Vince:::
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, bad shaves as far as closeness. first shave, no nicks nor irritation. second shave a little irritation. i dont have a strop yet, so that may have something to do with it.

i gotta get better on my neck. it has been so long since i used my mach3 turbo handle (i have no blades) that i cant remember if it shaved close or not. i do remember irritation on the neck with it. well the trade off is that i get maybe 95% of the closeness on my neck with my vision

sam
luigi

Post by luigi »

Keep checking eBay and your local antique shops for Sheffield steel razors. I found a Wade & Butcher at n antique dealer and paid $19 for it. I sent it to Lynn Abrams from the straightrazorplace forum on Yahoo to have it honed and it came back absolutely gorgeous. He told me I probably had me a $200 razor. It is a big, hefty 1 inch bladed razor that I want to have a new handle put on, but it shaves great. You really can't go wrong with any W & B, but there are many good quality razors out there. Many officionadoes still feel that a carbon steel blade is better than stainless. I have a few of both and I am having a hard time telling much difference. If you want a brand new str8, you can't find much better than the French Tissard Issaud. Their razors mostly use Sheffield steel, as well. Do your research and you will find the razor that will give you a lot of pleasurable shaves. :)
Luigi shaves with a DE, but would shave more with his Str8s if he had the time.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yes, i am now prefering a TI razor. something about its heft and how it just feels better and sturdier. i guess its blades is less flexible and that seems to help me on the neck.

sam
kal

Post by kal »

Gentlemen
I'm not familiar with the Thiers manufacturing process or the formula of the steel they use, but I've been using their razors for well over ten years now and find that halfway through the second pass I sometimes have to do a little additional stropping to retain the razor sharpness for the final part of the shave. I never need to do that with other razors such as Dovo or Case or even the historical Thiers.
This leads to the conclusion that modern Thiers razors have a high carbon content.
I would greatly appreciate an informed opinion on the special techniques used by Thiers and what makes them different from other manufacturers.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ive had one dovo, a new bismarck and one ti, a bison. both are 6/8. they were my two favorite shavers of the 7 i had tried. even better than a new old stock 7/8 friodur. to me, the ti is heftier in the spine and less flexible, if that makes sense. the edge on it is better that on my bismarck. i just shave better with it. sold the bismarck this past weekend and i am getting a club razor at straightrazor place, a ti.

sam
kal

Post by kal »

Chris
Thanks for the valuable info.
I have to admit, when I started using Str8s there was no internet and access to info was greatly limited. I had to rely on the experience of local barbers and found each with his own technique and prefrences, so through trial and error I developed my own, only to discover later how much they differ from other peoples.
For example, I insist on honing my razors as frequently as every six or seven shaves. I use the Dovo very fine wetstone and just apply a few very light strokes at the time. Most wetshavers would consider this criminal and they never touch their hone befor at least 30 shaves. The same with stropping. I have yet to meet two experienced wetshavers who agree on number of strokes, use of pastes etc. etc but thats what makes it interesting.
I look in from time to time on the Yahoo forum but being 51years old I'm not eligible to join. I must be missing something!!
I'm ordering the diamond paste, thanks.
Regards
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

They let me join the Yahoo forum and I'm 62!
Are you telling us you have to be a certain age to join......or are you having us on :)

Steve
kal

Post by kal »

Thank you gents
They must have changed their policy, I'm a new member !!