help identifying a Gillette DE

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
freebird

help identifying a Gillette DE

Post by freebird »

Hey Guys,
My dad gave me a Gillette razor this morning, have been trying to identify it.
I found some pictures of one similar in the collectors corner sticky, and also this one over on ebay. Mine is the gold razor, the stamping on it says Reg. US Pat Off. Made in USA. On the inside of the blade holder it reads "Pat No's on Package", which is really helpful since I have no package to go with it. I appreciate any help I can get on this one. The razor is almost too nice to shave with, but I probably will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-Edge-GILLETT ... dZViewItem
rnconync wrote:Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

It's on old Gillette Tech. Super nice when paired with a Feather blade.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
freebird

Post by freebird »

I appreciate the help. I'm a newbie when identifying DE's although I've used them of and on for years. The ones I collected were for the enjoyment and the usefulness.

As soon as I can unpack my collection I'll post some pics. When I moved I had a broken leg so others packed for me and my razor collection remains lost in the pile of boxes.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Don't hesitate to start using that fine Tech. They are easy to find on Ebay or even here on the Selling/Trading forum if you need a replacement.
freebird

Post by freebird »

I asked Dad where he had picked this one up, he said a yard sale a month or two back,said he gave fifty cents for it. I think I'll start following him around from now on.

Is there anyplace that I can find information on the date codes? I'm certain this one doesn't have one, but when I find my other razors I'll probably start trying to find out a little more about them.

This one will more likely see 'some' usage, at least until I get the hang of a straight razor, and probably even then for shaving the open area in my van dyke.
GregCavi

Post by GregCavi »

This site is great for dating!

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Greg
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

That style with no date code would probably be from the 1930's.
Steve/Bronco

Post by salbev »

man, that's a sweet lookin razor. i love the fat handled silver tech!
great find!
freebird

Post by freebird »

yeah, it really is, I wish it were mine. That silver one is nice. The one I have is the fat handled tech except it's gold. I used it the other evening, shaves great, but I have really sensitive skin and wound up with a good razor burn. I'm not totally convinced it was the razor though.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Outside of my Injector, this is the most forgiving razor I own (silver). It seems to love German Wilkinson and Derby blades. So far though, the Swedish Gillettes give the best shave. Need to try a Feather next.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>