Head Shaving Razors.....

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
wintermute

Head Shaving Razors.....

Post by wintermute »

Can anyone out there recommend any good head shaving razors (the one's designed specifically to do the job) and places to get them - I got talking to a friend of a friend today, and we got onto the subject of shaving. He's been using his grandad's straight razor for the past 5 years (I was suitably impressed by this :shock: ) alongside his Mach3, though he did complain about the costs of running the latter - I did suggest a DE).
Anyway, he also shaves his head, and I mentioned that a little while ago I spotted something specifically designed for the job, but now can't find it anywhere - I did find the Merkur one, but I'm sure that there are others; Any of you guys out there who know about such things & can give me a few leads, links or even opinions about them if you use them?
As always, any advice gratefully recieved! Thanks!
:D
Kev
"The truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country isn't there?"
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

The one I hear mentioned most often is the Headblade:
http://www.headblade.com/
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've been head shaving for a long time, and the best way to do it is with something like a fusion. On the weekend when I have more time I use a DE. Use a good soap or cream and a blade shaving 4 times a week can easily last a month. I think the cost (price of a fusion blade) one pays for a good very fast head shave is well worth it.

Clive
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Risking accusations of beating a dead horse, injectors make great head shavers. I have used the Headblade, Atra, M3, Sensor, Gem, and various DEs, and I always end up back with the injector.

Of course, YMMV.
Jim

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
Mark Twain
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

My problem is that I go back and forth between full-grown hair and shave-head. The shave would clog up an injector pretty badly. If not for that, it sounds like it would be well worth trying. I've used double edge (even a Futur once) and single edge razors, with decent results.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

i have been shaving my head with a merkur HD for a few weeks and now i am thinking about moving over to the slant. it took about a week or so to get the amount of time down to about what it took me with a M3...
i'm sorry i waited ten years before trying a DE. i don't have razor burn or bumps on the back of my head any more. :D
i won't shave with cartridges anymore. also i tried the headblade thing and IMHO, it isn't worth buying. it clogs up, looks like a toy and only kinda' works "ok" when used with their pre-shave oil stuff. but i would still be rolling around a piece of plastic strapped to my fingers? not my cup of tea. and also hard to get around the ear areas.

to shave with a DE is really not that much time extra especially if you're already half bald :oops: ..... don't forget about lathering with a brush on your head...feels great! 8)
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

i actually just shaved my head a few minutes ago with a couple days growth of stubble on it. i wanted to see how the results would be with the palmolive "brushless" just in case i needed to in the future. i of course did NOT use a brush. i mixed in a little liquid neutrogena on my head and used a feather blade in a slant for the first time "upstairs". the blade was a few shaves old.

i was surprised at how well and easy the blade just slid down each pass. it moved very easily WTG for one pass. i did some touch-ups and i am very happy with how easy and how well it all worked out.

of course YMMV, but my vote is for the DE baby all the way!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Has anyone tried head shaving with a bar of olive oil soap, with or without a brush? (It also seems that not all olive oil soaps are equal...)
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i've tried almost every razor option conceivable on my head (short of a straight or an electric) over the years and have come to the conclusions that the best is the mach 3. YMMV of course.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Pauldog wrote:Has anyone tried head shaving with a bar of olive oil soap, with or without a brush? (It also seems that not all olive oil soaps are equal...)
Pauldog,
I used some Aleppo soap to shave my head. I used it a couple of times without a brush and a few times with. It shaved decent, not spectacular, but decent. The only issue I had with it was that it did not get my scalp baby bottom smooth. I wouldn't recommend it.