There are no Q Date codes...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

There are no Q Date codes...

Post by nodaktim »

I was thinking about what date code would be for a 1976 razor. Going from 51=W, I thought 76=V. But after looking again at the rather helpful date code site...Gillette Razor and Blade Dating and Feature Information I noticed that I was wrong. 1976=W because the letter Q has been skipped.

Does anyone have a thought as to why Gillette did that? :-k
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
verde
Ice Ice Baby

Post by verde »

My former employer did not use the letter "Q" in it's dat codes for two reasons.

1. A "Q" con sometimes be difficult to distinguish from an "O"

2. When stamping into metal the tail would be a weak point in the pressure, therefore the tooling would take extra force and break or deform.

I'm not for sure this is why Gillette didn't use it, but I think it's common.
-Mike

"If you teach a poor young man to shave himself,
and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more
to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas."
--Benjamin Franklin
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

So it wouldn't get confused with "O" the little tail on a "Q" might not always come through clearly on the stamping.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

That's what I read, that the "O" and "Q" are too easily confused. The stamping problem with the tail of the "Q" would contribute to this problem.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Okay, this is not the first auction I have seen that claims to have a "Q" Date code.

Check out THIS EBAY AUCTON.

This pic is from the above mentioned auction just in case the auction pics become no longer available in the future.

The next two pics are from a different listing also claiming to have a "Q" date code, but I can no longer find the listing to post a link to.

Any thoughts?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

According to a passage in Phillip L Krumholz's "The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook", in 1971 for 1 or 2 months the Date Code Q WAS used before being canned and R became the 1971 Date Code most likely because of confusion as stated earlier...so they DO EXIST!.
Mike
Random

Post by Random »

So does this make them rare and collectible? Hehe ;)
- Barret
shaveC

Post by shaveC »

Arghhhh! I traded a long black adjustable away thinking that it was an "O" code with a scratch next to it. The little line to make it a "Q" was VERY faint and since I thought there was no Q code........
Anyway I have a short black handle adjustable with a Q code, is it worth more than the same razor with a different code?
-Ricky
thedailyblade

Re: There are no Q Date codes...

Post by thedailyblade »

Hmmm... Pretty sure I scored one of these mythical razors. Just now put it up on the old auction site so we will see just how rare it is based on demand. Anyway, here is a pic that shows the Q very very clearly

Hope this help clear the question up as to whether it exists or not

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, it would appear there is a "Q" code! Thanks for sharing that bit of clarity with us.

Welcome to SMF, thedailyblade!

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

finding a Q code is like finding a 0 4 gold plated super adjustable in near mint condition. it happens enough so that we know they exist.
Enjoy the razor.