Straight razor sharpening

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Benefactor

Straight razor sharpening

Post by Benefactor »

As long as you keep your razor reasonably sharp from the time you get it, and don't let it get really dull, or dinged etc. is it actually necessary to use a hone? Would a strop with different kinds of pastes do the trick just as well?
Thanks
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Use of a pasted paddle strop can extend the time between honings, but it's an open question as to how far the paddle can extend this interval, but "indefinitely" is an awfully long time. It's probably best to assume that at some point you'll need a hone.
Benefactor

Post by Benefactor »

mparker762 wrote:Use of a pasted paddle strop can extend the time between honings, but it's an open question as to how far the paddle can extend this interval, but "indefinitely" is an awfully long time. It's probably best to assume that at some point you'll need a hone.
But then probably only a hone with a finer grain count?
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Benefactor wrote:But then probably only a hone with a finer grain count?
All razor hones have fine grain counts. Most guys do rough work like cutting a bevel with a 4k hone. The Norton 4k/8k combination hone will do a good job at quickly setting the bevel, and the 8k side will polish this bevel for a nice smooth edge. Attempting to use a finer hone can take you many hours (the Norton is an extremely fast hone for such a fine grit).

If you really don't want to worry about honing then you can send out the razor to a honemeister when it gets to that point.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's true that a pasted strop will delay the need for honing, and if done frequently enough a fine Swaty-style barber hone will keep the edge where it should be. There are aggressive metal-eating pastes available - Flexcut Gold will serve the purpose of a fairly coarse hone and quickly at that. It is possible to completely maintain a razor that has its basic bevel formed this way, and I did it that way for some time as I am one of those that have a love-hate relationship with Nortons. Now I have a set of Shapton stones I am finding they suit me well.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

drmoss_ca wrote:I am one of those that have a love-hate relationship with Nortons. Now I have a set of Shapton stones I am finding they suit me well.
I thought I was the only one! I've got the 8k and 15k Shaptons and love them and am seriously thinking about getting a 5k and ditching the Norton for good.
xChris

Post by xChris »

drmoss_ca wrote:... I am one of those that have a love-hate relationship with Nortons. Now I have a set of Shapton stones I am finding they suit me well.

Chris
mparker762 wrote:I thought I was the only one! I've got the 8k and 15k Shaptons and love them and am seriously thinking about getting a 5k and ditching the Norton for good.
Hmm... Very interesting, and something for me to think about.
Chris
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I've had great results from my Norton, so it's not going away any time soon.. IIRC, Rich maintained his blades for 2 years without needing to take them to the hone, so it's possible to last a while. Under those circumstances, it would be more practical for you to just pay for honing instead of getting a Norton. I bought one because I knew I'd maintain a large rotation, already knew how to hone and was planning on selling the occasional blade.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm on my second Norton 4k/8k - the first came apart and wouldn't stay reglued. But I've not always been happy with the results. The Shapton 2k, 5k, 8, 15k are great and soon the 30 k will be here. Should last me out!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

On mine there seems to be something wrong with the 4k side - it's about the same speed as the 8k side. I got it for ebay work, a task for which my example is about useless.
netsurfr

Post by netsurfr »

[quote="drmoss_ca"]I'm on my second Norton 4k/8k - the first came apart and wouldn't stay reglued. But I've not always been happy with the results. The Shapton 2k, 5k, 8, 15k are great and soon the 30 k will be here. Should last me out!

Chris[/quote]

Boy, that 30K is pretty pricey! Only have the Norton combo stone but am seriously considering the Shapton stones...

Regards,
Steve
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The 30k Pro stone is no longer available, even though it is still shown on the website. I'll be getting a 5mm thickness of the same material on top of float glass. Half the price, same surface.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Why that's practically a bargain!
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

mparker762 wrote:Use of a pasted paddle strop can extend the time between honings, but it's an open question as to how far the paddle can extend this interval, but "indefinitely" is an awfully long time. It's probably best to assume that at some point you'll need a hone.
I think indefinitely is a good way to describe it.

If you're always keeping the edge optimally sharp, by definition, you're bever letting it dull to the point of nreeding a serious hone. It's like proving a negative, but I think logically you need to remove material from an edge to keep it sharp. You can let it dull and hone, or you can hone a little at a time. Either way, you should end up at the same point.

I can't attest to indefinitely, but I do have a few razors I've kept track of and handled very carefully that have required nothing but refreshing for two years.
Joe
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

mparker762 wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:I am one of those that have a love-hate relationship with Nortons. Now I have a set of Shapton stones I am finding they suit me well.
I thought I was the only one! I've got the 8k and 15k Shaptons and love them and am seriously thinking about getting a 5k and ditching the Norton for good.
I have the 8K and 16 Glastones.
Joe
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Joe Lerch wrote: I can't attest to indefinitely, but I do have a few razors I've kept track of and handled very carefully that have required nothing but refreshing for two years.
Using only a paddle strop? Or using a swaty or some other barber hone?
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

mparker762 wrote:
Joe Lerch wrote: I can't attest to indefinitely, but I do have a few razors I've kept track of and handled very carefully that have required nothing but refreshing for two years.
Using only a paddle strop? Or using a swaty or some other barber hone?
Usually, I refresh with just a few swipes (3) on a Swaty.
Joe
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

Please send all your Norton hones to Scorpio. Thank you for your support. :D

I forsee a Shapton buying spree in the future of many... :twisted:

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"