First Bic Metal Shave

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
paperpundit

First Bic Metal Shave

Post by paperpundit »

About two months ago, I sent Bic a nasty-gram asking why I couldn't find the Metals anywhere around here. Well a box arrived yesterday with a nice note and 20 Metals. So I thought I'd break one out this morning...

What a great shave. A little too light to replace my Tech as an everyday razor, but certainly good enough to take with me on the road. And far better than either the Bic Sensitives or Bic Originals. It may even replace my Bump Fighter-loaded-with-a-Trac II combination that I usually use for a quick shave.

All the best
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

I use the Bic Metals, too, primarily when traveling. Often, just one or two shaves with the Bic Metal then into the dustbin it goes. By using a Metal, I don't have to carry my best Merkurs around and it gives me some variety, too.

But I am also impressed with the shave quality that I get from the Bic Metal. It gives me a nice close shave when I use it with Palmolive brushless cream (the green tube).
dwight
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jack, Glad that you finally got some, even if you had to fight for them ( chuckle ). They haven't been sold around here for years, except once, briefly, at the Dollar Store last year. I was the one who first suggested them on the old forum, when a member possed the question; 'what would you do if you were on a trip ( not to a large city ) and found you'd forgotten your shave kit?" I posted back that I hit the local drugstore chain for a bag of Bic Metals and a tube of Palmolive shave cream. Some members picked up on that, tried them, and it went on from there. They are still my first choice, if I flew with carry-on only ( which I don't....but if I did.. ). They are also a fine choice for the newbie to traditional shaving, as a transition razor, without having to spend much money. They are basically plastic light weight Schick Injectors....more of less.
Regards,
Gordon
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Yeah, I have an injector...in fact, I have two. An old 1940s bakelite model and a PAL adjustable that I don't quite care for...

I rather liked the Bic better. Thought it was a smoother shaver...my problem with injectors is that I usually wind up taking a big chunk out...but just once! Same with the GEM. Great shave, but one big chunk of skin missing, about every third or fourth shave...

Well, if you need any, Gordon, since you are so close by...

How many shaves are they usually good for? I usually toss a disposable after three, just, well, just because!

All the best,
Jack

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jack, With the Bic Metals, three shaves usually. That's it, though. But, at those prices, that's fine by me. Interesting about you issue with the injectors. I'm not sure what that's about. Have you ever tried a later model Schick?....and are you using the US-made Schick blades?
Regards,
Gordon
Razorburn

Post by Razorburn »

I like the Metals for traveling as well, great shave. I can only get 2 shaves out of one and then I start cutting myself with it.

I stockpiled about 60 of these when I found out my local Walmart was going to stop carrying them. Bought a few more when Big Lots had them for a while.

I only use them for travel since I can throw them out when I'm done with them.
Rob
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Anybody want me to post their order number for Walgreens? The gal from Bic gave it to me...I guess we could all just visit our local store and ask to have them stocked.
Jack

jbc

Post by jbc »

First, I am always looking for an opportunity to learn something and I think that I am going to take this opportunity. Doesn't bic make strictly disposable razors? I had no idea that they made double edge razors and/or blades. Second, I don't think that I would ever use a Trac II but I am curious, is the trac II a great shaver? I would imagine that it would cut and irritate less then the Sensor, Mach 3 and Fusion does since it has only two blades. How does the quality of the saves compare to the current Gillette models? How about the mechanism to attach the cartridge to the handle in what way does it differ from the Sensor? If I put a trac II along side a current model sensor what are some of the biggest differences that I would see?
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi JBC -

The Bic Metal is a single-blade, single-edge razor with a very compact head (normal width however) and a steel wire for a safety bar. The compact head on this razor seems more solid than on other Bics, tough the overall razor is still very light in weight. The compact head of this razor allows it greater finesse/control for trimming and touching up. I believe Bic offers a twin-blade razor, but this isn't it.

The Trac II is a twin-blade razor with a fixed head. It doesn't pivot like the other cartridge razors that we know today, so you still have to control the angle of the blades. I have seen gents on this forum compare the Trac II to the Schick Injector in the way it handles, with the advantage of twin blades.

The Gillette Sensor not only has a pivoting head, but it also had floating blades that are supposed to flex over changing contours of the skin.

- Murray
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Ah JBC, thank you for giving me a moment to think about the good old days of when I started shaving...The Trac II was the best a man could get, David Bowie had hit songs, and I still had a full head of hair...

But enough about that. I learned to shave on a Trac II, and it isn't a terrible razor. Two blades, fixed head. Think of it as a cartridge version of the Good News razor. The advantage to the disposable, in my opinion, was the heavier handle.

Today, when I long for a quick shave, I use a Bump Fighter handle with a Trac II blade. I like the heft of the Bump Fighter handle, and generic Trac II blades fit just fine. Shave as you would a DE, no floppy head and pivoting blades on this weapon of choice. I usually do just a down stroke, and it isn't BBS. Maybe a cross stroke to clean things up. If I do an upstroke, I'll get ingrown hairs. But for a quick shave or on the road, it is my choice.

The Metal is a single-edge disposable. I think the advantage over the Originals or Sensitives is the metal guard. Heck, my wife even noticed that my face wasn't "red and choppy" in her words, which happens when I use either of the other Bics.

If you find a Metal, I'd buy them. Great way to start into wet shaving, or to use on the road. If you'd like to experience the transition from DE to Fusions the shaving world went through in the last 35 years, check out the Trac II.

All the best,
Jack

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chuckle, Just to throw a wrench in the monkey works, I'll add that Bic actually does make a classic DE blade ( in Greece, I believe ), and that they are available in some areas of Europe and South America. Brett's used them, and found them to be quite good. Unavailable here, however ( of course ).
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

bernards66 wrote:Chuckle, Just to throw a wrench in the monkey works, I'll add that Bic actually does make a classic DE blade ( in Greece, I believe ), and that they are available in some areas of Europe and South America. Brett's used them, and found them to be quite good. Unavailable here, however ( of course ).
Regards,
Gordon
Yes, indeed, the BIC DE blades, marketed under the Astor brand name and made in Greece (as are the Metals) are fine blades, and very reasonably priced. Not quite Swedish Gillettes, mind you, but much less expensive.

Regards,
Basil
nuttz565

Post by nuttz565 »

If any one has a "family dollar" store in your area there is a good chance you will find bic metals there. I was just at the one in my area and they had a ton of them in stock and they were going for $1.69 for a 5 pack!!....
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

+1 on the Dollar stores.
Saturday morning, I picked up a Gillette Sensor for $3, and cheapo Sensor look alike cartridges for a buck or two. I even found 5 Trac II type cartridges for $1.

Of couse, I wont use these for a daily shaver, but are great for a travel set up.
dwight