The Double Ring Rocket has an official name!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

shaveC wrote:Well, even if it isn't correct, we can still declare it the "Rocket 500" on these forums, for ID purposes.
Agreed. Good work Charlie!
Danny
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

shaveC wrote:Well, even if it isn't correct, we can still declare it the "Rocket 500" on these forums, for ID purposes.
I'd say we call it the 500 when it's the regular sized one, and if anyone picks up a 500 the size of a small woman, it'll be a Rocket Set...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

ichabod wrote:
I'd say we call it the 500 when it's the regular sized one, and if anyone picks up a 500 the size of a small woman, it'll be a Rocket Set...
I long for that razor. The weight of the head on that thing must be pushing 30 pounds. AND it has a terrific coif! AND it walks and talks and smiles winningly! And why NOT store your razor on a hotel luggage rack? My gosh, they did things right in the old days.

On another note entirely I've just cleaned up an old Rocket (single-ring) found in an antiques shop and boy oh boy is it ever a smooth shaver. I'd have to sya I prefer it even to the #66 for closeness and smoothness and it feels a little less like shaving with one's total equity since it costs less than 400.00. For those of you who've not tried the "slim" Rocket or the 500 it is well worth the bux it's commanding and is a lovely object to boot. Why oh why did I invest in those furshinlugger Auto Strops!!!???

back to the grind,

k
Risky

Post by Risky »

What are the other two razors in the ad and why do they cost so much more?

Sorry, Gillette noob here.
James R
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Here was a late night Switzerland eBay purchased, Labeled a "Scheermes" it is the Double Ring Rocket (No. 500) that I managed to score for a measley $18.00 US Shipped. Cleaned up to a wonderful state...Will be put to the test tomorrow...also picked up a smart looking "Gillette" Badger Brush that has been cleaned and soaped with TABAC to make it smell nice. Quite a surprise as it too came off a non US eBay site, Sweden eBay with other items that I'm selling off because I really wanted this little brush. Might use them together tomorrow.

Mike
Occam

Post by Occam »

I've seen Gilette has the word "Set" on the outer boxes of single examples of the Aristocrat series etc. and it refers to the fact that this was sold as a razor together with a blade dispenser and case.

Hence they were sold as a set.

Gatorade wrote:Just when I thought things were clear, I find this ad.

I am still sticking to the "Rasoir no 500" because this one says Rocket Set. Maybe the rasoir no 500 was part of the Rocket Set?
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Occam

Post by Occam »

BTW Roger Gaignard appears to have only one achievement...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Track_ ... 27s_Sprint

He was a bronze medallist in the year 1957 so we can assume that these razors in the plastic boxes were around at that time.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Fox

Post by Fox »

They probably used "Rocket" as an appealing marketing name, what with the whole space race and the use of rocket influences in american designs, which were regarded as very cool by the people stuck in post war Britain.

500 would be the "Proper" designation, but "Rocket" would look and sound better in advertising, much like "Fusion" and "Mach 3".

Chris
Chris
-----------------------------
Land Rovers - If I turn the radio right up, that rattle will go away.

My go-to Razor: Ally-Handle Gillette Rocket HD
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

If you look at the adverts posted, then you will notice that even the Aristocrat # 66 is just labeled "Rasoir no 66" (Razor # 66). It is not labeled as an 'Aristocrat # 66'. It does refer to the razor as an "Aristocrat one-piece razor " in the description of the razor as seen in this Coronation ad...

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... coronation

I still think we can call it a 'Rocket 500' at least on this forum.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

What's the single ring Rocket called? Just a "Rocket"?
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

nodaktim wrote:If you look at the adverts posted, then you will notice that even the Aristocrat # 66 is just labeled "Rasoir no 66" (Razor # 66). It is not labeled as an 'Aristocrat # 66'. It does refer to the razor as an "Aristocrat one-piece razor " in the description of the razor as seen in this Coronation ad...
Regardless of what the ad says, the cardboard box is labeled "Gillette Aristocrat No. 66".

Danny
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

nodaktim wrote:Charlie,

Maybe it is both a "Rocket" and a "500" or in other words a Gillette "Rocket 500" like the Gillette "Aristocrat 66". :-k
I doubt the 66 would have been called an ¨Aristocrat¨ in France. An implement designed to hold a sharp blade to ones neck, in France, with a name like ¨Aristocrat¨... well, it would have been very bad taste. :wink:
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."