Dispose of razors...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brderj

Dispose of razors...

Post by brderj »

I think my first instinct to save all my blades, then litter the country as a "booby trap" may not be in my best interest. How do you dispose of your used up blades when you are done? Is there even a safe way to do so? I found that feather makes a plastic looking contraption that holds all the blades, or is this just another thing people can live without?

Oh and Michael I'm sorry if this is also in your book, I can't help how long things take to get here! :D

Thank you for your time,

Jay
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

It is in his book.

You can make one out of a liquid filled can, or buy them from classicshaving or leesrazors. You could also buy a sharps container.
Chris
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Most of the DE blade cartridges come with their own means of disposing of your blades. Their is usually a slot on the back of the cartridge for this purpose.
brderj

Post by brderj »

Zaniix wrote:It is in his book.
Of course it is! :wink: I'm going to have the whole book memorized before it gets here.

Thanks for the info
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

If you buy your blades in 5 packs or 10 packs, those usually include storage for used blades. If you buy blades in bulk, often you simply get a cardboard box holding 100 blades. From the book:
You can easily find commercially made disposal safes for razors. The 99-cent Feather Blade Safe works well, for example. But it’s also very easy to make quite a good blade safe, as follows.

Take a small can containing a liquid—for example, a small can of evaporated milk—and drain the contents by punching two small holes in the top. Wash out the can, using the two holes. Then turn the can over and, using a hacksaw or a thin Dremel blade, cut a slit in the side, just under what was the bottom and is now the top. The slit should be just wide enough to admit a double-edged blade.

The can then sits (upside down, with the two small holes you made in the top now at the bottom) and you discard the blades through the slit, just under the now-top. When the can is full, a tap of a hammer permanently shuts the slit. There you have it: an opaque, unbreakable, metal blade safe with no lid to open.
(I'm quote just because it's easier to copy and paste than to write out a whole new description---and in this case I can't give a link, but I do give my source. :) )
brderj

Post by brderj »

You have no idea how stupid I feel now, :oops: I have never noticed that with my package of blades I have.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Again. :D

Gen. Patton
prism

Post by prism »

I picked up an old Burma Shave jar for $0.99. When that fills up, I dump it into an old coffee can. When that's full, I'll just tape it shut, mark it old razor blades and leave it for recycling. I know, unnecessary steps, but I just like the way the Burma Shave jar looks on my bathroom counter. :D Vic
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

I picked up a sharps container from my local med place. They're apparently free from a lot of places. I go through a lot of blades for various things and I never felt right about just throwing them in a soda can or something. The best thing, short of that, is to tape a used blade to some rigid piece of cardboard with packing tape. That way it's pretty much entombed unless someone really wants to get it off and it hsouldn't provide a cut hazard to anyone.

i recommend a small sharps container though.
proFeign -
Dovo Bergischer Lowe / Dovo 4/8 / WB 6/8 ~1870 / Slim Boy / Norton 4000-8000
charvey

Post by charvey »

I took a tin can that once held chicken broth, rinsed it out really well, and tapped a small slot in the top.

It has drainage in the bottom, which is actually the top, and the slot is thin enough to let the blades slide in without coming back out easily.
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

One of the things I like about DE shaving is that the blades are biodegradable. I feel bad placing them in a plastic container that isn't going to help this natural transition back to the earth. has anyone come up with a solution for disposing on the blades without encasing them in plastic?
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

By coincidence my latest video addresses this very issue. 8) Personally, I like using piggy banks. :lol:

--Mark
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Jay,

I use an empty Altoids Peppermint container. Once full, which I've not been able to do, I'll super glue the lid shut and wrap it with Duct (100 Mile an Hour) tape.

Or you can buy a blade bank from Lee's Safety Razor or Classic Shaving. I think they run around a buck or two.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

Racso_MS wrote:Jay,

I use an empty Altoids Peppermint container. Once full, which I've not been able to do, I'll super glue the lid shut and wrap it with Duct (100 Mile an Hour) tape.

Or you can buy a blade bank from Lee's Safety Razor or Classic Shaving. I think they run around a buck or two.
I dig the altoids idea, I may run with that. Cut a sliy and raise it a fraction with a prybar to allow the blades to slip in. Call me nuts, but wouldn't wrapping the thing in duct tape be wrapping it in plastic? That wold kinda kill the whole thing... I think. 100MPH tape and Duct tape are made out of a vinyl...right?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Jay, I use a metal container as described here.
4hits

Post by 4hits »

prism wrote:I picked up an old Burma Shave jar for $0.99. When that fills up, I dump it into an old coffee can. When that's full, I'll just tape it shut, mark it old razor blades and leave it for recycling. I know, unnecessary steps, but I just like the way the Burma Shave jar looks on my bathroom counter. :D Vic
Please consider that at your recycling facility the old coffee can may handled by a live person on the sort line. Granted, the sorters should be wearing kevlar gloves, but it still could be a safety hazard nonetheless.

Further, in facilities where the can might be sorted by trommel, the can is ultimately flattened and/or baled. I would wonder if as the can is being flattened the blades could "explode" out of the can.

Just recalling my tour of the local recycling facility...

I recall reading that some people who dispose of their own used needles place them in a coffee can, duct tape the can, and place the can in their regular trash, where the can is ultimately landfilled.
Danl

Blood is a big expense - Virgil "The Turk" Sollazzo
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

jpolaski wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:Jay,

I dig the altoids idea, I may run with that. Cut a sliy and raise it a fraction with a prybar to allow the blades to slip in. Call me nuts, but wouldn't wrapping the thing in duct tape be wrapping it in plastic? That wold kinda kill the whole thing... I think. 100MPH tape and Duct tape are made out of a vinyl...right?
Probably does kill the recycle idea, but will do wonders for protecting someone or an animal from getting hurt just in case the super glue failed.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Steve-o

And now for something only _slightly_ different...

Post by Steve-o »

Okay, so I have this Adjustable in no-better-than-good condition that is misaligned. I'll give it to someone who thinks they can fix it and is willing to live with the result -- if I can find that someone.

But, assuming it cannot be repaired, can I recycle this razor as metal? Or will it live forever in some landfill somewhere? :(
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm using a soda can. The blades fit right in the top. Should I be using something a little more substancial?
-Andrew-
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

Leisureguy:

Thanks for that. I'm going to go with that Idea, looks safe, and all ends up back where it belongs, a pile of rust and nutrients. Bravo for your idea!
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

drumana wrote:I'm using a soda can. The blades fit right in the top. Should I be using something a little more substancial?
I would highly recommend something that won't be penetrated by the blades if it gets crushed. A tin can works well and sharps containers are extraordinarily sturdy. Technically any steel biodegrades but it would be better to recycle it as steel at your local dump.

I really like the sharps container though, tons of space and designed for things to not fall out of it plus they're clearly marked as "do not f- with"
proFeign -
Dovo Bergischer Lowe / Dovo 4/8 / WB 6/8 ~1870 / Slim Boy / Norton 4000-8000