What is the Theory Behind the Battery Powered Manual Razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
LtMac

What is the Theory Behind the Battery Powered Manual Razors?

Post by LtMac »

My parents came to visit yesterday after taking a trip to celebrate their 48th wedding anniversary. At a hotel where they stayed, a Schick Quattro battery powered manual razor was left by the hotel for the guest's use. My dad shaved with it once and didn't care for it, but knowing my fondness for shaving products brought it to me. I shaved with it today, but didn't care for it either. My question is, what is the purpose of the battery powered vibration? Is there a scientific theory that it is supposed to make the whiskers stand up more or make the razor glide smoother or is it all hype and a way to sell new razors with the "newest development in shaving"? I didn't really notice that it did anything different except buzz when using it.

Don
In God We Trust; All Others Checked Through NCIC
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

I think the theory is that the vibrations make the blades saw through the hairs, giving you a smoother, tug free shave. Never tried one myself. Not rich enough to experiment with all the expensive cartridge razors they come up with... :wink:

/Nicholas
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

The idea is that the vibrations keep the blade from snagging on your face as you pull it accross.

I think the vibration makes it harder to hold the razor snug on your face lessoning the razor burn. Mostly its marketing mumbo jumbo
Chris
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The theory is that their company owns a battery manufacturer and saw the potential extra sales.

(Both Gillette and Schick own battery brands as well.)
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

The theroy is: they always introduce the battery power a year or two after the manual power. So everybody thinks they are missing out on something and buy the battery powered razor plus the added bonus of selling more batteries as per notthesharpest.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

notthesharpest wrote:The theory is that their company owns a battery manufacturer and saw the potential extra sales.

(Both Gillette and Schick own battery brands as well.)
That's what I thought but the battery lasted for a year shaving 3 times a week.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

Could it be what Pt Barnum supposedly said ? "There's one born every minute and two to take 'em." Kidding aside I will never know first hand because I will never buy one. I did have a customer at work tell me that Gillette had sent a free sample of their 5 blade cartridge razor to him and for shaving the head it is the best thing that he has ever used. Check out the link for an example of man's never ending quest for a better shave

http://cgi.ebay.com/KING-OSCILLATOR-SAF ... dZViewItem

Jimmy
Regards,

jimmy
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Vibrating razors have been around for a long time. There is even a windup one that works mechanically. I've tried quite a few. I think the theory is the same as an electric toothbrush. The vibrations are equivalent to many strokes.

Unfortunately, few of them work. The exception are the MP3 and Fusion. The usual problem is that the vibrations are too strong. In the two Gillette razors they are very slight but seem to be tuned to the razor. It really makes a difference with these razors, and it results in a very good shave. Just the ticket for the untrained average Joe.

I've also noticed that in the Gillettes the vibration causes you to lighten the pressure. It makes it feel like you're just painting your face, with the blade floating over it. As long as you don't bear down on the razor it works fine.
Joe
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

If I recall, Gillette was forced to pull misleading language in their adds suggesting that electrical pulses were used to make hairs stand up.
DemonWolf

Post by DemonWolf »

The theory is a very simple one based on years of research: If you convince men that their current shaver is insufficient and that they have always wanted your product even though they never knew it existed. And if you make it battery operated people will pay more.

:P
SteveW

Re: What is the Theory Behind the Battery Powered Manual Raz

Post by SteveW »

LtMac wrote:My parents came to visit yesterday after taking a trip to celebrate their 48th wedding anniversary. At a hotel where they stayed, a Schick Quattro battery powered manual razor was left by the hotel for the guest's use. My dad shaved with it once and didn't care for it, but knowing my fondness for shaving products brought it to me. I shaved with it today, but didn't care for it either. My question is, what is the purpose of the battery powered vibration? Is there a scientific theory that it is supposed to make the whiskers stand up more or make the razor glide smoother or is it all hype and a way to sell new razors with the "newest development in shaving"? I didn't really notice that it did anything different except buzz when using it.

Don
I still remember the old commercials about the vibrations making the hair stand up. I've read here that they were forced to drop that claim asit was unproven. If I were them I'd make up something about taking advantage of the coefficient of sliding vs. static friction, like a vibracore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

And by having yet another model to sell, you can take up shelf space that otherwise might be occupied by a competitor.
Pro_Raso

Post by Pro_Raso »

Actually, the theory is quite simple. Millions of dollars and years of scientific research combined with extensive consultations with NASA engineers have concluded that if a company places the word "system" after any of their products, a gullable public will feel compelled to purachse all of the other items that are part of the "system" in order to verbally tell themselves that they have the entire "system".
I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the Saints....the sinners are much more fun!
DEF

Post by DEF »

I saw an Apollo-era spacesuit at our local air & space museum. One of the more interesting features was a contingency diaper that would contain things if the astronaut got in trouble during a spacewalk. In NASA parlance, it was the "Fecal Management Subsystem." (I'm guessing the toilets were the primary system.)

But more to the question, I think the razor vibrations are supposed to shake the money out of your pockets.

Doug
Doug
robert-00

More History

Post by robert-00 »

Back in 1971 Gillette test-marketed the Techmatic Sure Touch Shaver, a band-cartridge razor with a vibrating mechanism and a rechargeable battery (like an electric toothbrush). A non-oscillating Techmatic was introduced in 1965. An electric oscillating-blade razor was patented in 1898.
phin

Fecal Management Subsystem

Post by phin »

If you have never tried a vibrating razor but plan to-- PLEASE wear a Fecal Management Subsystem when testing these products.
jblackmd

Post by jblackmd »

Yeah, the vibrations are supposed to make the blades saw through the beard a little more and give you a closer shave. When the batteries died in my fusion and it didn't buzz anymore, I noticed absolutely no difference in the shave comfort or closeness.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

It is easy to reject these as silly marketing mess to sell more product. And of course that is a big part of it. But do read Joe's post again, people, before you reject it as totally lacking substance. I fully agree with him, at least in the case of the Gillette razors, in my opinion it does produce a better shave than the regular cartridge razor.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

Well, I'd say, given my extensive experience with bullshit products, that the vibrations are nothing other than a way to make it seem more high tech without it costing much more to manufacture. If you have a cartridge razor it is impracticable to alter the head to incorporate any moving parts driven by something in the handle, and I highly doubt that there would be any benefit to doing so.

The "power" models use a little motor and eccentric weight on the spindle such as makes a cell phone or pager vibrate, nothing more than that.

As for what it does I think most of the above are right: nothing. It might give you a little bit of help when the blades start dulling out but I doubt it.

It probably doesn't hurt, but the bottom line is: would you want to have a vibrating handle on a DE?

It's possible it helps it glide over your face easier, it's possible it cuts a little easier, but it's almost certainly a marketing gimmick and, having used one once, I don't think it changes the action and the shave is a result of the condition of the blade and not anything else.
proFeign -
Dovo Bergischer Lowe / Dovo 4/8 / WB 6/8 ~1870 / Slim Boy / Norton 4000-8000