Treet DuraSharp Carbon blades make for an interesting shave.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
adam51980

Treet DuraSharp Carbon blades make for an interesting shave.

Post by adam51980 »

Have any of you guys tried these before?

Treet DuraSharp

I ordered some blades from Giovani and decided to try out the Treet Durasharp carbon blades first. The shave was gentle but sounded rough. It was the first time that I really heard the blade scrapping against my skin. It sounded rough but yielded a pretty good shave and only one small nick. I'm not sure if I like these blades or not. I have no irritation but it was by no means a smooth shave like with a feather or merkur. It seems like other blades that I have used have glided effortlessly over my skin but these did not. It was very different, yet not unpleasant.

It was a 4 pass shave which is normal for me. I used my merkur futur and momma bears rain shave soap.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the report, Adam.

I got a pack of these from Giovanni (Barbierie Italiana), but I haven't tried them out yet. I'm also curious about the blued carbon stell ones he is going to get.

I generally prefer carbon steel for knives/cutlery, but I'm coming to the conclusion that the modern stainless steel razor blades, with platinum and teflon/PFTE coatings, are the way to go.

Thanks again -

- Murray
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

Murray, I too am interested in the blued carbon steel ones as well. I keep checking his site to see if they are available. The reason that I was interested in the carbon blades was because of my kitchen cutlery. I am a big fan of traditional Japanese cutlery and know just how well my carbon knives hold and take an edge. This lead me to believe that the same would be true for razor blades as well. I may be wrong though. lol

Just a side note I found a traditional carbon steel Japanese straight razor at Dick Fine tools. I would really like to try it. I need to get much better with a De before going to a straight though.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Adam -

That's a beautiful razor. I haven't seen anything like that one before.

For straight razors, many still prefer carbon steel.

One of our members here, Greg/Scrapyard Ape, was using carbon steel blades in his GEM razor, and he was actually stropping them. I think he said that he decided at some point that it wasn't worth all that effort, though I don't recall if that meant he had switched to stainless or if he just changed blades more frequently.

Almost all of my pocket knives have blades of carbon steel, and that is what I always look for. My kitchen cutlery consists of both, as carbon steel is harder to find. I just might go and order one of those Japanese carbon steel cook's knives, now that you've jogged my interest. (I still have a number of them Bookmarked!)

- Murray
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

Carbon steel is a vastly superior cutting steel as compared with stainless.

Carbon/tool steels are more brittle and more prone to rust BUT they are much harder and more rigid.

I have many many pocketknives, some of them with relatively mild carbon steels like 440C or 154CM, and some with uber-hard high-speed tool steels like M2HS, S60V, S30V, and D2.

D2 is my personal favorite, as it is among the hardest and the most difficult to sharpen, BUT it will take a better edge and hold it much longer than my other knives.

D2 and M2HS are steels designed to cut other steels at high speeds and because of their rigidity they can hold a straight, thin edge much better than a stainless, but at the downside of being susceptible to rust (my D2 knife went through the washing machine just fine so not that big a worry) and being more likely to chip or crack if you smack them on something.

Both of these things are minor concerns and it should be noted that pretty much NO steel used in any blade is a "true stainless." All of them will rust (except for a very very few).

I will always buy high-carbon tool steel knives because they get so much sharper (I can shave my face with my Benchmade Osborne D2CF) and hold and edge much longer (I haven't sharpened that knife in over a year).

Check out high-end pocketknives: they are all, 100% of them, carbon steel. Stainless makes crappy blades IMO.
proFeign -
Dovo Bergischer Lowe / Dovo 4/8 / WB 6/8 ~1870 / Slim Boy / Norton 4000-8000
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I have three of these knives and like them a lot. And they're relatively inexpensive.
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

Leisureguy wrote:I have three of these knives and like them a lot. And they're relatively inexpensive.
are they chisel-grind or v-grind? interesting to lay iron on steel...
proFeign -
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

proFeign wrote:
Leisureguy wrote:I have three of these knives and like them a lot. And they're relatively inexpensive.
are they chisel-grind or v-grind? interesting to lay iron on steel...
I have a few of the tosagata knives myself. The are double edged and pretty nice for the price. I also have a very unique paring knife know as a mukimono bocho. It is chisel ground and takes an amazingly sharp edge. It is made by Watanabe. It kinda resembles a straight razor!

NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

What is that knife designed for, I am curious when you would need that kind of tip. I know there are a lot of specialty japanese knives out there, but this one I cannot figure out.

Eric
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

Pumpkin carving? Could probably make a heck of a jack-o-lanten with that :D -looking for a pumpkin emoticon
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

the front looks like a false edge... a kind of inverse tanto point. it gives the tip a lot of strength to do it like that. but if the front is sharpened fully it seems like that edge would be of very little use for most things, except maybe stabbing people... the hannibal lechter cooking model?
proFeign -
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I believe it's a kitchen knife ...

- Murray
proFeign

Post by proFeign »

CMur12 wrote:I believe it's a kitchen knife ...

- Murray
i'm sure it is; but i wonder if it has a specific purpose (e.g. paring, mincing, chopping, gutting...)
proFeign -
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

proFeign wrote:
CMur12 wrote:I believe it's a kitchen knife ...

- Murray
i'm sure it is; but i wonder if it has a specific purpose (e.g. paring, mincing, chopping, gutting...)
My sense of it is that it's a small vegetable knife, designed to pierce, cut, and chop small items. Probably somewhat equivalent to a Western "utility knife" or large paring knife.

- Murray
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

This knife is a japanese paring knife and both edges are sharpened. It is made for sculpting designs out of vegetables. I find it especially useful for vegetable preparation while making sushi. You can make very cool designs out of vegetables with this knife, when presentation is important.