Traveling with a Feather razor!!!!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
karim0028

Traveling with a Feather razor!!!!

Post by karim0028 »

Hey Guys,

I am going on vacation for three weeks on an international flight.... I am really considering taking my feather with me, its the most comfortable and i really dont want to go back to my shavette... What are your thoughts on it?

Should i take the razor in my carryon and put the blades in my luggage? I dont know (or own) how to use a DE, for me its always been straights...

I've travelled with the shavette (domestic) and its not that big of a deal, but i always put the blades in my luggage. Would secrutiy give me a hassle when im traveling with a feather? Remember this is international....

would it be a large risk?

-Hytham
-"Life without emotion is no more than death in disguise"
karim0028
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Coming from some who travels for a living put it in your check in. You can go to the TSA website and they have a list of what is allowed and whats not but your still better off checking it.
Sean
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I've put straight razors in my checked luggage without having any problems.

--Vincent
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Hell I flew into New Wark today with a switch blade in my check baggage
Sean
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I don't think they really care what is in your checked baggage....I have flown international with ALL of the following in my checked baggage....on the same flight....without any problems: 3 Hookah's, 5 AK type bayonets , 5 MRE's, 3 combat knives including a benchmade Nimravus, a Brit Fairbairn-Sykes, a ColdSteel Kukri, and a small hatchet..... I wasn't sure what to do when I got to customs in Germany, and again on the plane in Atlanta, but I claimed everything, and they only wanted to know if I was bringing more than $500 worth (I think...) into the United States....
In my carry on? an ELECTRIC razor, a magazine, toothpaste and toothbrush. Interesting point that some of the other guys in my outfit had almost all of their stuff taken as "contraband" or "paraphenalia" and the only difference is they didn't claim it on the forms......no doubt customs assumed they were "trying to hide something....."
they ALWAYS get you with the paperwork...
John P.
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Hookah smoker huh?.............I love smoking out the living room at night.......such a pleasant smell. Hookah and a good movie late at night is awsome............who makes yours?
Sean
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Do you guys lock your luggage? I heard you werent allowed to put locks on it anymore?

-Hytham
karim0028
growler

Post by growler »

You aren't allowed to lock it. If you do, and they want to look through your bag (more likely if it's locked) they are permitted to break the lock to get access.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

You can also buy locks that they don't have to break. Univserally keyed for TSA you know!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

what about international flights that are not only going through TSA?

-Hytham
karim0028
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

For those who are worried, I went through both U.S. customs, TSA, etc in Atlanta, as well as German customs in Frankfurt, with all of the items I listed above. A few raised eyebrows at some of the more sinister looking items , but for the most part everyone was very courteous. I believe a big part of it is whether or not you are perceived to be "trying to hide something". I shamelessly claimed every item I mentioned, the inspector looked at it, they saw it on the x-rays, and that was that. No problems at all. Same with my straight razors. You can even bring firearms if you fill out the proper forms and follow the rules.
The guys who did not claim various items (I guess hoping they would somehow not be asked about them) had their stuff seized. Nuff said about that.
Gage-
I got the "bug" while deployed to the war in Iraq. First, while in Kuwait before everything hit the fan, one of the guys bought one from the Kuwaitis, after which we ALL wanted one, but I didn't have the money (the exchange rate for the US dollar is INSANE over there....10 dinars is like 40 bucks....)
Soon after, in Baghdad, I was VERY pleased to find several of the Iraqis outside the camp were hawking hookahs[c-h-e-a-p], so I bought several, sent a couple to the states as gifts, and kept a couple, one of which broke while there. I believe they were all made in Egypt, although one is unmarked and may have been locally made. I now have several, including one from Japan and one from China-but the rest are from Egypt or Syria, I think.
So.....just curious, what is your favorite flavor? I hit up some of the middle eastern markets here in San Diego, and so far I like double apple, strawberry, and am trying to find a good watermelon flavored tobacco. I am open, of course to recommendations. One of my friends likes double rose, but I am sortof just neutral on it.
John P.
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Hey, im going to egypt in like two weeks... Maybe i wil buy one over there ;)

-Hytham
karim0028
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Hytham,
I think you will be glad if you do. A real treat.
I know that even though I don't often have time for it, I definitely enjoy mine best with friends and stories to tell. Not something you can rush.
John P.