Super Adjustable with no blade gap

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
deman

Super Adjustable with no blade gap

Post by deman »

So I'm wondering why I'm getting such a lousy shave with a long black super adjustable I recently acquired when I set it at the same setting as my '68 slim adjustable which has the same head and provides a superb shave. Upon closer inspection I see there is no blade gap and the the blade is resting on the bar at all settings. I tried a reset by pushing in the notch with a paperclip and twisting all the way both ways to no avail. Does anyone know of any other way to reset the gap settings? Is there any way of salvaging this razor?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It sounds like the adjuster isn't moving the thing it's supposed to be moving. Twist open the top and remove the blade, and then see what effect the adjuster knob has on the metal bar that is supposed to change the blade height.
deman

Post by deman »

The adjuster knob clicks and I can see movement right above the adjuster collar but I don't see any movement of the center rod at the blade level. I was wondering if there was a way to get a look at the inside linkage without destroying the razor.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

If I recall previous threads about repairing (Gillette) Adjustables, they come apart only with great effort and are not designed for repair/reassembly. :(

I suppose if you really were endeared to this razor, you could try bending down the bars so there was a gap between bar and blade. But I wouldn't do it. Replacement razors are cheap enough that I don't want to mess with variable gaps and the like (BTDT; don't need to do it again).
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
deman

Post by deman »

The center adjusting rod is actually going up too high causing the blade to bow too much and the edges to lie flat on the safety bar. It's about right just before the locking quarter turn. May try to tamp it down as there's nothing to loose in its current state.