I finally became a Merkur lover and now am saving money

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Keef

I finally became a Merkur lover and now am saving money

Post by Keef »

I used a Mach 3 turbo with a brush and good cream. I shaved north to south, lathered again, and went across the grain, then lathered again and went south to north. I never cut myself (hardly) and I always got a great shave.

I went and got a Merkur shaver with the screw knob on the bottom. This is what I noticed about it

1. The cutting of the beard was louder.
2. It did not hold water in the shaver as well as the Mach 3 Turbo. I of course dip it in water after every short stroke. So with less water, it was a little more painful in cutting.
3. When or if you cut yourself with the Mekur, the cut was alwys bigger with it than it ever was with the Turbo.

I know I need to practice with it more, but I am also a little scared going across the grain with this unit. I was told going down to let the blade out a little more. Then across the grain bring it in a little to protect your face.

I also learned there is a sharp and dull side on the razor which makes it pretty flexible. Plus the adjustability of the blade also makes it very nice and custom izable. Plus the Merkur blades are sharp and are a lot cheaper than the Turbo.

However, I get the best shave with the Turbo 3, I can shave quicker since the way the blades and fins are situated, you are less likely to cut yourelf.

I will continue to try the Merkur, but I do not see myself staying with it at this point.

TWO WEEKS LATER

FYI: I can go north south on my Merkur with no cuts. It is going across the grain where I have the issue. I have not given up hope yet though. I like the exact control I have with the Merkur while with the Turbo, there is not control. Just put is on your face and go down. There is angle control on how much the blade is going across your face, and control of how much blade you want out on the Merkur. Very nice, very nice indeed.

I will continue to try the Merkur, its just I got one annoying cut on my neck with it the day I responded and I was like dang, is this for me? Shaving with an electric was a drege-ery for me in the past, and I hated it. Then with going with the standard foam and cheap blades was something I wanted to get down as fast as possible in the morning. Now with my great shaving cream (Art of Shaving which has the exact same ingredients as Trumper and in the same order) and my silver tip brush, I find it enjoyable to shave for the first time. Now if I can shave just as well with the Merkur as the Turbo, I will be all set

TWO WEEKS LATER

I finally learned how not to press the razor against my face. This took a long time to learn since I was using a Mach 3 Turbo for so long. Now I turn the dial just one turn. That's all I need. (one turn still allows the blade to be further out that the Mach 3 Turbo) I let the weight of the shaver go down, and I rarely ever get cut. Then I pass the 2nd and then 3rd time (when I have time on 3rd time) keeping it on the one turn of the knob.
I also learned that the cream on your face has to be wet. I use a cup to mix the cream, and the cup helps in keeping the water in the brush which in turns gives me wetter cream. One problem I also had was putting the blade out too much. That is why I cut the cuts as well.

I love the Merkur now and cannot see ever going back to the MAch 3. Now instead of $11 for 4 blades, I get 10 blades for $5. :lol:
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Keef,

I like how your chronicle your experience with the Merkur DE. I'm sure lots of newbies will find it both inspiring and encouraging as they explore the use of DE razors.

I just shaved with my Merkur Progress adjustable today and I had a perfect shave. I still use the Mach 3 most of the time because I'm usually in a hurry for work. Now that I'm on vacation and have all the time in the world I used my DE and remembered how satisfying the experience can be.

Vince
:::Vince:::
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Chris, can you refer us to some reliable online vendors that might carry that Edwin Jagger DE? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it. I'll keep looking, but if you can point me in the right direction, that would be helpful.

Thanks
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Hey Chris! I tried to PM you earlier, but my PM'er isn't working right. It sends everything I try to send to the Outbox, but no farther. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you is how to pay for The English Shaving Company's products. I like the Edwin Jagger faux ivory bulbous-handled DE, as well as the same in the Mach III. Unfortunately, since I don't have access to a credit card, I usually pay for my purchases with either personal check, money order or PayPal. Do you know if they accept any of these? I know of several places in the States that sell the Mach III, but none sell the DE.

Thanks much!
~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Vince, I quite agree. I think Keef's chronicle is so informative, or 'real world' that I wish I had the ability to just post it ever time a brand newcomer to DE shaving post one of those woeful "....I just last week got this new DE razor....and I nicked myself!....and I don't think my shaves are as close as with my M3...what am I doing wrong....this isn't for me..I'm going back to my M3...etc," type posts. Just send along Keef's chronicle to them. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I also think that those Merkur Futur and Vision razors show a lot of blade, and agree that often they may not be the best choice for a new DE shaver. Personally, I don't care for anything like that much blade exposure, even though I've used DEs for decades. I'm sure that you're aware of this, but I'll just mention it anyhow; that the E-J DE razors have Merkur heads. One can switch off the heads between any of the E-Js and fixed blade Merkurs ( except the HD and Slant Bar ). Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Ace, I may be getting into areas that you've already considered and dismissed, but it seems to me that if you have a checking account, you should have an ATM card with a credit card logo on it, which means you can use it as a credit card. For instance, my Wells Fargo ATM/debit card has a Visa logo on it, and can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. I purchased my EJ DE through the English Shaving Company using it. If you have one, you should be able to purchase things through the ESC, as well.
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Thanks for the tip, Jackie! I'll look into it!

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave