Wilkinson Sword Classic DE

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
razorburned

Wilkinson Sword Classic DE

Post by razorburned »

Reading another post about where to buy Swedes I was sent to http://www.landyschemist.com which is where I found something I was not expecting. It seems that Wilkinson still makes a DE razor! Has anyone tried one of these? Is it a plastic cheapo only fit for landfills, or a decent razor?

here is a link to the Wilkinson site with details:

http://www.wilkinson-swords.co.uk/index.php?id=1308
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

I know that some members have used the razor, and I think I remember something about it being OK, but after a while the silo doors fall off, or th head doesn't tighten down all the way. I'm sure some one will chime in with more info, or you could always search for it.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Jeremy, thanks for the info....I have been reading the boards for about 6 months and never saw mention of it....thought it may be a new item
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I also found them on a German site, but not for sale outside Germany. Same exact razor though.

Haven't heard any Pros or Cons. I was just going to buy one for the heck of it to see how it shaved or perhaps as a travel razor.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

i dont know if it's still there but nationwidecampus (those who brought us that injector "replica") sold this razor, it should also be easily found on the uk ebay and occasionally the US ebay. I havent heard any real praise for them other than that they are capable of shaving. for what i'd assume to be similar cost you could buy that feather DE off pauldog or 1 of 20 tech designs on ebay, or a G-bar or a superspeed, etc etc...
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

With The Grain wrote:i dont know if it's still there but nationwidecampus (those who brought us that injector "replica") sold this razor, it should also be easily found on the uk ebay and occasionally the US ebay. I havent heard any real praise for them other than that they are capable of shaving. for what i'd assume to be similar cost you could buy that feather DE off pauldog or 1 of 20 tech designs on ebay, or a G-bar or a superspeed, etc etc...
James,

Appreciate the info. I have more than enough razors to last several lifetimes. I was just going to buy one for kicks and grins just to see how it shaved if I could get one without ransoming my grandchildren (whenever they're born).

Have a good one...
(Racso) Oscar...
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

http://www.nationwidecampus.com/product ... 790&cid=42 $6.99, last i recall this was reportedly that razor, seeing there is no picture you might want to call to confirm it is, either way for $6.99 you'll be getting some kind of DE :lol:
you could also try one of the new gillettes from india:
http://desistores.net/catalog/advanced_ ... s=gillette
you can get old spice cream from the above store as well

yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

That razor has been available in the UK for at least 20 years - it has a heavy handle but the real spoiler is the cap as it is plastic.

If the cap were metal die-cast then Wilkinson would have a razor worth buying...., at the moment it is a bit of a novelty bought by those who don't know any better.

Regards
John
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

These razors are widely available in the UK from main store outlets of Boots and Tesco etc. They tend to be shouldered aside by the massed ranks of Fusions which are being pushed unmercifully. I have not purchased/tried one but I may investigate out of interest. The hope would be that they give a reasonable performance otherwise DE razors might get a bad name. If they were good then this might turn the purchasers on to the real thing.

John
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

I think that Indian "Gillette" is the same one as that sold in the UK by Boots ..., although I've never bought one as it looks to be cheap & nasty.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

yasuo200365 wrote:I think that Indian "Gillette" is the same one as that sold in the UK by Boots ..., although I've never bought one as it looks to be cheap & nasty.
yeah, i also doubt it's truly made by gillette (as in a gillette factory) but it does have what looks to be a tech top and baseplate, at best it's a cheap tech variant. The other razors for sale by gillette on that indian web site look even cheaper. this seems to be the norm for reports that come in on new Gillette DE's currently being sold around the world, i remember paero123 spotted a new russian (i think) gillette "rubie" DE that looked similar. I'm sure most markets were DE blade shaving remains strong there is some cheap gillette or knock off gillette DE being sold.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Boots razor is pretty cheap. Thin metal, and I was able to easily separate the plastic part of the handle from its metal tip. I was able to reattach it pretty firmly, so it still can be used, but it's not a razor with a solid feel, to say the least.
Last edited by Pauldog on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just discovered that the threads on the Boots match those on the Gillette Tech and the Feather Portable. (They probably match the other Gillette 3-piece razors, too.)

So at least you can try the head without dealing with that super-cheap handle.
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Oh dear, I'm going to have to try this now.

John
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Hmmm...

In the US, it was called Trac II. In Europe, GII. Both are discontinued. And now...PII? From India?
Last edited by Pauldog on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apple Cruncher

Post by Apple Cruncher »

I want to thank the Wilkinson Classic for showing me the error of my ways.

I've only recently started wet shaving in the last few months, after 15 or so years of using electric rotary and foil type shavers. My first step into the world of wet shaving was a Wilkinson Protector 3D. Then I fell under the spell of the adverts and bought a buzzing Gilette Fusion. After very quickly resenting the price of blade/cartridges, I got thinking there must be a cheaper way.
I was stood in our local Boots chemist looking at the different types of razors they sell and the prices of blades. Then I discovered the Classic, after picking the packet up and inspecting the contents it ressembled the sort of razor I'd seen in my parents bathroom as a kid, only plastic and cheaper looking. I nearly put it back, initially dismissing it as a backward step. Then I saw the price and thought, stuff it, I'll give it a go!
After using it nervously a couple times, I quickly got the hang of it and could achieve a decent more comfortable shave than before with the multi bladed types. And soon after noticed how much better my skin had become.

So.... It's thanks to this cheapy DE razor that I've watched the mantic59 Youtube videos that led me to this forum and now wield a Murker Vision fairly confidently.
I only hope others follow my path and get to see the light aswell

Long live the DE!!
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Apple Cruncher!
Sounds like you are off to a fine start and aren't you glad you decided to give that Wilkinson a try? eh? 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey AC,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

Come often and stay long. Ask any question you want and there will be someone with an answer or who will point you in the right direction.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D

OBTW, if you want any particular Double Edge (DE) razor, a Brush, or Soaps/Creams just post a request on the WTB (Want To Buy) forum. Someone should be able to help you.
(Racso) Oscar...
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I've got one of the Wilkinson Classic DE's, and I use it for travel, etc. Yes it is cheap, but it seems to perform fine for me. I wouldn't get it as an only razor, but it is great for a travel setup or perhaps if one just wants to experiment with DE's and not spend much...
As plastic razors go, mine actually seems pretty sturdy. Even if I break it, I'm only out a few bucks...
John P.
Yanner

Post by Yanner »

JohnP wrote:I've got one of the Wilkinson Classic DE's, and I use it for travel, etc. Yes it is cheap, but it seems to perform fine for me. I wouldn't get it as an only razor, but it is great for a travel setup or perhaps if one just wants to experiment with DE's and not spend much...
As plastic razors go, mine actually seems pretty sturdy. Even if I break it, I'm only out a few bucks...
John P.
+1

I bought mine as my first toe-dip into DE shaving. It does a pretty good job and for less than a new Fusion you get the razor plus 5 blades.

Its still doing me OK and I use it when traveling to places that I'm not sure that my luggage will be safe, mainly when doing transfers via Heathrow...
Iwan

Whoever saves one life,
saves the world entire.