DE or Straight Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
EBAEZ1980

DE or Straight Razor

Post by EBAEZ1980 »

Hello Guys,

I was wondering , I see all this talking about straight & DE razors. Is there a difference?

In my opinion they are both the same , since they are using single blade, but would like to know if there is any difference.

Any of you guys have a shaving guide on how to shave with a DE?
EBAEZ1980
GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Bond

Post by Bond »

have you had a chance to see any of mantic videos, theyre pretty good guides
video
-Dave-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

What do you mean by "a difference"?

With practice and skill, you can get an excellent shave from either one, but yes, they are very different. The fact that they are both single blade is not as important as you think - what's important is how you hold and use that blade.
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

And don't forget the added maintenance of a straight, with honing and stropping. And that you use the same blade for... well... for ever. :) Unless you manage to damage it and have to buy a new one. :shock:
Michael_K

Post by Michael_K »

For some reason when I see a question like DE or Straight, I think of this poem by Robert Frost.

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I am wondering if this fellow isn't thinking of an injector SE and calling it a "straight" ? I can't believe that anyone no matter how inexperienced with wet shaving would think that a DE and a Straight are the same. Yeah Robert Frost, "good fences make good neighbors."
Regards,

jimmy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Slant-Fan wrote:I am wondering if this fellow isn't thinking of an injector SE and calling it a "straight" ?
That's possible - good thinking. The word "straight" used with razors is a weird term, often misused.
EBAEZ1980

Post by EBAEZ1980 »

The first image is a straight razor and the second one a Double Edge razor, I can't believe that anyone no matter how inexperienced in life will come up with a comment like that .That goes for Slant-Fan. My question was if there was a difference between both . That's all .

Sorry to be rude, but this is a forum to learn, and even if I didn't know what they both were . We are here to share and educate us all.

EBAEZ1980
GRAPHIC DESIGNER
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

EBAEZ1980 wrote:The first image is a straight razor and the second one a Double Edge razor, I can't believe that anyone no matter how inexperienced in life will come up with a comment like that .That goes for Slant-Fan. My question was if there was a difference between both . That's all .
I am also sorry to be rude, but how can you so much as glance at those pictures and then ask the question? :?:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I guess that that settles that!....harumph! Anyway, yes there are differences. I notice that in your photo, the straight pictured is one of those disposible blade versions. This means that there would be a little less difference then if it were a traditional straight, but, it IS still a different experiance. With the straight, one can vary the blade angle to the skin to a greater degree, and, there is no blade guard of any kind. That fact can be seen as either a positive, or a negative fact. Also, with the straight, you pretty well MUST stretch the skin with your free hand when executing the stroke; where as with the DE razor doing so is more optiional ( although most do ). The combination of no blade guard, and the shape of the straight, and how it must be held/used, make nicks more likely then when using a DE.
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

Indeed.

For a guide to shaving look up Michael Hamm's "Guide to Gourmet Shaving" or on the homepage you can download Chris Moss's straight razor guide for free. Both worth reading IMO.
-Andrew-
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

EBAEZ1980 wrote:The first image is a straight razor and the second one a Double Edge razor, I can't believe that anyone no matter how inexperienced in life will come up with a comment like that .That goes for Slant-Fan. My question was if there was a difference between both . That's all .

Sorry to be rude, but this is a forum to learn, and even if I didn't know what they both were . We are here to share and educate us all.

Hey, I didn't mean it in an insulting way ,..... I really figured you must have meant something other then a straight razor. I stand corrected.

With a DE you buy a sampler pack and find the blade that is right for you and you can always have a sharp blade for a close and smooth shave. The technique is relatively easy to learn if you take advantage of the resources provided on the forums.

With a straight even a brand new one may not be shave ready. If it is there is more of a learning curve to using it correctly IMHO. Once you accomplish that there is a further learning curve in maintaining the edge. This not only requires learning a skill but also an outlay of $$ for strop, hone and flatting stone.This is all fine if you have that level of commitment but that is what it takes. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your wet shaving.
Regards,

jimmy
Zennmaster

Post by Zennmaster »

In a word, YES, there is a difference, and it is a big one. A DE, also called a "Safety Razor" (and for good reason), is much quicker to learn, is much more forgiving of imperfect technique and maintenance, and gives very good results with a relatively short learning curve. There is a lot of technique, especially with regard to blade angle and pressure, and if you screw it up, the results can be uncomfortable, but rarely disastrous. You can get a very nice shave with a DE. You will be buying blades for as long as you use this razor.

A straight, on the other hand, takes a lot more time and practice to get right. There is an additional outlay for equipment, and some additional maintenance chores that need to be attended to regularly. Also, many of the same techniques that apply to DE shaving apply to straights: the angle and pressure between the blade and the skin are crucial to both razors. A straight can be much less forgiving of poor technique, and if you're not careful and attentive at all times, you can really hurt yourself. Many straight razor shavers say that a really good straight razor shave cannot be matched by a DE. others will say different. (Personally, I'm not far enough along on the learning curve to say for sure) One nice part of a traditional straight (not one with removable/replaceable blades) is that no part of it is disposable. The blade is permanent, and with proper care, all the but the most poorly-made razors can last a lifetime. The same can be said for a top-quality leather strop, which can be had for the price of a couple of DE sampler packs. You will also need to hone a straight razor from time to time, or send it out for honing.

Which is better? My answer is "Yes". A DE is certainly more convenient, but there is something very interesting about shaving with a straight. There is nothing in the equipment to protect you, only your skill and attention keeps you safe. Similarly, that same skill and attention is wha makes the difference between "Baby's Butt Smooth" and a face full of stubble. Each of my dozen or so straight shaves to date has left me with a feeling of accomplishment, like I have done something out of the ordinary. It's a nice feeling!

The DE has it's own appeal. Finding the right combination of blade and razor, and getting your equipment dialed in is its own accomplishment. I also really like that the DE gives me all the benefits and pleasures of wet shaving, but I'm no nearly as worried about the consequences of my wife suddenly bursting into the bathroom. It's also a lot harder to really damage a DE, while all it takes is a careless tap of the straight razor's blade against the rim of the sink to ruin your whole day. DEs are also a lot more friendly in homes with small children. Finally, let's face it, sometimes you just find yourself in a hurry, and a DE is always ready for action.

For a number of reasons, I have decided to go ahead and use both. This is about having fun, and on days when I have some time, and the house to myself, there is little I have found more relaxing and luxurious than a nice, leisurely straight shave. On the other hand, the DE is just as convenient as and cartridge razor, and way more fun. On a personal note, I also love the DE because it was what my Dad uses, and what my Graddad used, and it gives me a feeling of being connected, next in line.

I know this is long, so thanks for hanging in with me. I hope your journey is as rewarding and as much fun as mine has been!

-Michael
Michael Zenner
Portland, Oregon, USA
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

is there really a big difference? my reason is that I use a merkur vision and man it makes you pay when you mess up.

:D
Have a wonderful shaving day
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

Straights take a humongous amount of time in the morning. For me it takes 30min with a shower for a 2pass shave in the morning. Longer if I want to be absolutely perfect shaven.

I use a feather AC btw. I've never used a DE razor before though
Zennmaster

Post by Zennmaster »

yayavarman wrote:Straights take a humongous amount of time in the morning. For me it takes 30min with a shower for a 2pass shave in the morning. Longer if I want to be absolutely perfect shaven.
This gets quicker with practice. Some of the old hands on SRP say they can get everything done in the same amount of time it takes to do a three-pass DE shave.
Michael Zenner
Portland, Oregon, USA
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

I hear you on the 30 min shower thing but I have to take my time as well with my Merkur. One mistake, and GOTCHA
Have a wonderful shaving day