Adjustable vs. Nonadjustable

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
scku

Adjustable vs. Nonadjustable

Post by scku »

Hello there!

I do apologize for posting so frequently, but I really need help…lol!

Should I purchase an adjustable safety razor (such as the Merkur Progress) or a non-adjustable (such as Merkur HD “hefty classic”) as my FIRST DE safety razor? I am tempted to think that the adjustable might be better given the ability to be adjusted to a ‘less aggressive’ setting while I’m learning. Do you recommend an adjustable or a nonadjustable for a beginner? Why? Any particular models? (I want a new safety razor not a vintage (pre-owned) model.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Merkur Progress is a great choice as a first razor.

Merkur Futur doesn't do what you want - its lowest setting is quite aggressive and hard to learn on.

Merkur Vision is too expensive and not reliable.

I think, with the way you framed your question, that your answer is easy.

If you decide to go with a non-adjustable, or with vintage, then you get more good choices - but the HD is as good as any in my opinion.
bleedingface

Post by bleedingface »

I would get an adjustable if I was doing it over. The trick is finding a good one. Barring that, I had good luck with the Gillette Tech as a non-adjustable option. Not aggressive, but more so than the Weishi, which is under-aggressive for most people.. The HD can be a little too aggressive for some.

My 2c.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Non-adjustable. This forces you to focus on mastering the razor rather than worrying about what setting it is on. It also removes the stereotypical male tendency to "dial it to 11."
Richard
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

non-adjustable. i prefer the more mild or smaller blade gap'd, fixed-head razors.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

SCKU,

Limiting yourself to a "new" razor does limit your options as there are "many" vintage good to excellent razors out there. That being said, if you want a consensus on this forum, you won't get one as we are all a bunch of "Maniacal Preferential Wet Sahaving Enthusiasts". Preferential being the key word.

The non adjustable Merkur HD is probably the industry and shaving standard for (new) non adjustable razors. You can't go wrong by purchasing one of those. It will also allow you to practice and learn your technique. IMHO (in my humble opinion) a non adjustable is better because you won't be tempted to "play" with the adjustment knob and will be able to concentrate on "learning" how to shave properly.

Once perfected or at least after you have some experience behind you, purchase a Merkur Progress. Again you said you wanted a new model so your options are limited and the Progress is a very good adjustable razor.

That's my 2 cents worth and WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...

:D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I went first with and vintage Gillette adjustable and I still use them much more than my Superspeed. My wife just ordered me a slim handled adjustable which I am anxious to try on Christmas day (it's a stocking stuffer).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I too recommend a non adjustable. Less to fret about. Learning the proper technique is enough for starters and an adjustable would just complicate matters IMHO, With a non adjustable you will have consistency in one part of the equation anyhow. I would also recommend that you get a blade sampler so that you have choices and can see what works best for you. Once you have the technique down and know which blade is best for you an adjustable would be a nice thing to try.
Regards,

jimmy