The Vintage Razor EVERYONE Should Have?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
HBK42581

The Vintage Razor EVERYONE Should Have?

Post by HBK42581 »

What is it? I've got a '66 SS, a '62 Slim Adjustable, Type L Injector and an unknown year for a Gillette Tech. Am I missing anything? What do you think every man should have in his vintage razor collection? Something easy on the wallet. I had a FatBoy and it just didn't "do it" for me shave wise.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Two things....

First, you should have at least one GEM in your collection. You don't have to use it, just have one.

Second, the first person to say "58 TV" gets the fish. Image :twisted:
~Greg
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Oh, but the 57 and the 59 are SOOOO underrated...

I'll second Greg's GEM, and up him one injector...preferably the ones with the Bakelite handles...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Re: The Vintage Razor EVERYONE Should Have?

Post by nodaktim »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:....the first person to say "58 TV" gets the fish. Image :twisted:
Greg, he said...
HBK42581 wrote:...Something easy on the wallet...
So I agree, no need to mention a 58TV...what about a 'Super' adjustable with the long black handle?? I have read many good reviews about them.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

True Tim, he did say that. But since when has that qualifier stopped others from recommending a solid gold toggle, hand polished by virgins during the second full moon of July and hand delivered on a velvet pillow? :P
~Greg
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:True Tim, he did say that. But since when has that qualifier stopped others from recommending a solid gold toggle, hand polished by virgins during the second full moon of July and hand delivered on a velvet pillow? :P
Hey, I want one of those...anyway to get one... :twisted:

BTW I got to use the forbidden term in my earlier post and...no fish...HEHEHE :P :wink:
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

You guys are funny :D

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

i'd say you have two of the razors i was going to recommend already
the L1 injector is terrific and same with the Tech! i love those two.

in addition, why not check out a flared tip super speed just to see if you like the flared end to hold, like i found out. aside from that, maybe a super adjustable...those made in 1969 and before are all metal so i would say check one of those out. it's my favorite adjustable.

other than that enjoy your shave and most importantly enjoy what you already have because you got some great stuff already! take your time, these razors will be around to pick up and if one gets taken before you have a chance to bid or buy, no worries, another one will come by.

of course there's always the fifty-eight tv
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

salbev wrote:i'd say you have two of the razors i was going to recommend already
the L1 injector is terrific and same with the Tech! i love those two.

in addition, why not check out a flared tip super speed just to see if you like the flared end to hold, like i found out. aside from that, maybe a super adjustable...those made in 1969 and before are all metal so i would say check one of those out. it's my favorite adjustable.

other than that enjoy your shave and most importantly enjoy what you already have because you got some great stuff already! take your time, these razors will be around to pick up and if one gets taken before you have a chance to bid or buy, no worries, another one will come by.

of course there's always the fifty-eight tv
BUSTED... :twisted: Greg...Bring on the fish.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
~ Tim ~

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

salbev wrote:of course there's always the fifty-eight tv
ImageImage
ImageImage
~Greg
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Anyone know much about this guy?

It's supposedly a 1953 Gillette Executive? Never heard of an Executive before.

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:Two things....

First, you should have at least one GEM in your collection. You don't have to use it, just have one.

ahem, i believe i said: 'fifty-eight'...where's Sam? i need a ruling before i get the fish-slap!
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

HBK42581 wrote:Anyone know much about this guy?

I have heard of Executives and I might get corrected by someone else...but I believe that is just a ('40s style) 1953 Superspeed.

The Executive name was given to a few different razors. There is a gold 'fat-boy' called that, and a few other different models.
~ Tim ~

HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

I see a lot of gents here like the Aristocrat too. What's the story on that bad larry?

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

salbev wrote:
Scrapyard Ape wrote:Two things....

ahem, i believe i said: 'fifty-eight'...where's Sam? i need a ruling before i get the fish-slap!

:P
~Greg
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

HBK42581 wrote:I see a lot of gents here like the Aristocrat too. What's the story on that bad larry?
Toss the "easy on the wallet" prerequisite if you want to chase for an Aristocrat. You also have to hold your breath until your blood turns the right shade of blue before you are allowed to touch one. :wink:
~Greg
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
HBK42581 wrote:I see a lot of gents here like the Aristocrat too. What's the story on that bad larry?
Toss the "easy on the wallet" prerequisite if you want to chase for an Aristocrat. You also have to hold your breath until your blood turns the right shade of blue before you are allowed to touch one. :wink:
Classic. I see a bunch on Ebay but I'll guess that the starting bids are usually low and then just get higher and higher as the hours go by?

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:Image
This should be the avatar for a new member Splitting Hairs...maybe he will see this post... :D
~ Tim ~

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

HBK42581 wrote:Anyone know much about this guy?

{Picture of superspeed goes here}

Scott, that does look like a regular superspeed, as Tim says.

The Executive I had was a superspeed head on a much fancier handle - a bit thicker with a very attractive "bulldog" pattern. It came in a case made of faux ostrich. (You know, back in the 40's-50's, who's to say it wasn't real ostrich?)
Bulldog pattern engraving is reminiscent of a candy cane, or indeed of the stripes on a barber pole.

A picture is worth a thousand words, here's a few thousand words worth...
Last edited by ichabod on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

HBK42581 wrote:
Scrapyard Ape wrote:
Classic. I see a bunch on Ebay but I'll guess that the starting bids are usually low and then just get higher and higher as the hours go by?
The Aristocrat name has been used on several different razors as well. The easier to get models look like gold versions of the President razor...
These are commonly known as US Aristocrats.

The English ones usually have various 'bulldog' style handles like this...
These are the high dollar ones that come in various models such as the famous #66, #16 and #21 to name but a few. There are gold and Rhodium varieties.
~ Tim ~