What's your experience with the Derby blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

What is your experience using the Derby blades?

I like 'em. Good blade for me.
63%
I found them just so-so.
23%
I don't like 'em. Not a good blade for me.
14%

Total votes: 108

Leisureguy

What's your experience with the Derby blades?

Post by Leisureguy »

Derbys are, I think, pretty popular. They don't work for me---seem dull---but quite a few (I believe) like them. Let's find out...
Coldshot

Post by Coldshot »

I'm still very new to this and only tried the Derby blade from my sampler pack. I went from the Merkur that came with my razor to a Wal-Mart Personna which I didn't like at all then the sampler. I started with a Dorco which I found "so-so" then moved to a derby which I liked. Then a Chrystal which wasn't bad and now again with the Merkur for my 5th week of DE shaving; which after trying other blades I find a bit rough...I get nics....kind of aggressive for me. I am still thinking the Derby is the best so far. Then again I'm only 4 weeks into shaving. I still have a few more blades (8 in total) that came with my sampler. I guess the best thing is after I get more experience to go back and try em' all again. So far the Derby is on my mind as a comfortable shave and fairly close. With better techniques I think it may be even better.
Tommy
Zach

Post by Zach »

I need 3+ passes with the Derby to get a so-so shave
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Derby is my go to blade brand; I can pull a week of good shaves from a single blade. I just ordered 200 more. 8)
bigsid

Post by bigsid »

I just started a sampler pack from Tryphon. I started with a Wilkinson Sword Classic White label(made in Germany). I got six great shaves from it. Next up was the Derby which I am currently using. Overall I'm not that impressed with it.

After reading through the forum regarding blade selection I'm thinking after trying all the blades in the sampler pack(which includes Israeli Personna's) I owe it to myself to try Feathers and Gillette "Swedes" Are there any other top tier blades I should try? Are the UK Wilkinsons vastly superior to the German made? Thanks.

Rick
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

My vote was good. I didn't like them at first because I was used to Feathers. I had not yet learned the gradual stubble reduction technique and was trying to do in one pass what I needed two passes to do. As my technique has improved so has my appreciation of blades that I once found lacking and now find acceptable to excellent.
Regards,

jimmy
Occam

Post by Occam »

Slant-Fan wrote:As my technique has improved so has my appreciation of blades that I once found lacking and now find acceptable to excellent.
An excellent point.

The more experienced you become the more you find that more aggressive, and more sharp are not always the means to achieve great shaves. I get the best results from middle of the road items... milder razors and milder blades. The Derby fits in well there.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

As my technique has improved so has my appreciation of blades that I once found lacking and now find acceptable to excellent.
That has been also my thought for quite some time. Initially I even liked Feather blades and I still like "Swedes". But some people praise the Feathers and then say something like they cannot really shave 2 consecutive days with them without getting their skin irritated.

I am still not very experienced, but would advice to use blades that are not too sharp and that are smooth, and Derby Extras fit that specification very well. They are inexpensive too but most importantly skin friendly.

I still find Dorcos not sharp enough and certainly them Merkurs. But as my technique and lathering skills develop I might go to less sharp blade brand than Derby. But these days I seldom try others, have 4 shaves from a Derby blade and then change to a new one without thinking that I perhaps could get more shaves, since they are not expensive.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Derby Extra blades are good for me. A little on the mild side, which sometimes is good, and sometimes not. . .
-Andrew-
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

My go-to blade.
Jason

Post by ThePossum »

Just finished with them in my HD and my '58 Executive. I thought they did pretty well in the Executive but only fair in the HD.

Will most likely keep some on hand for the Executive but still looking for a blade for the HD.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I voted so-so. My experience with them has been hit or miss. More hit than miss, though.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I found a big difference depending on which razor I used. In the Merkur HD, my first Derby shave was awful. Rough and dragging. In the Gillette SS, smooth and pleasant, with a week's worth of shaves. With an Israeli Personna, the Merkur HD was fine, so it wasn't just the more aggressive reputation of the Merkur.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
TOB9595

Post by TOB9595 »

Derby's are, for me, among the best in the bunch that I have tried.
Concistent fine shave. I have a box of them so I don't know about cross lot sample of the blade. I'll not be buying blades in the near future...
:)
Tom
Tom
I keep CHRIST in CHRISTMAS
God Bless America
NRA Endowed
NJKCA #016
Flashoholic
Here is my Sale and TRADE stuff
http://picasaweb.google.com/tob9595/SaleAndTrade
Josey Wales

Post by Josey Wales »

Derby + HD = best shave for me. They're just terrific. I get a week's shave with every blade.

Nocturne, I bought 200 from eBay, too.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Even after yesterday's blood-letting, I still like Derby extras the best I think. My error yesterday was clearly a one-off, and won't be repeated again, I can assure you.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Interesting. Well, depends upon how you read it, I suppose, but to me, I'm seeing an 80% to 20% split, because I interpret 'so-so' to mean 'okay...not one of my top choices, but acceptable'. This is not too far off what I expected, and is why that, even though I'm in that 20%, I don't tend to challenge posters who suggest Derby's to new DE shavers. Clearly most members, including some pretty experianced ones, think the Derbys are good, or at the least okay, and an appropriate recommendation for newbies.
Regards,
Gordon
asat00

Post by asat00 »

in my opinion derby is at the bottom of the totum pole as far as blades go. I do not have a thick beard, in fact I have the beard of a 15 year old pubescent but am 25. Still, these blades are in my opinion among the dullest. Probably not a bad blade when you start out wet shaving. But after being spoiled by a feather, swedish gillette or isreali, its the difference between a DE blade and a butter knife.
I reject your reality and substatute my own.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I use 'em all the time,

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Interesting. Well, depends upon how you read it, I suppose, but to me, I'm seeing an 80% to 20% split, because I interpret 'so-so' to mean 'okay...not one of my top choices, but acceptable'
Well, Gordon, this is one of the rare instances in which my experiences differ from yours. Unlike you, I'm in the 80%, and your comment would not be an accurate characterization of my experience with these blades. In fact, the Derby is my "go to" blade, and not merely "so-so." Derbys are "tuned" just right for me -- they cut the beard hair, but don't punish my skin. I know that you, Gordon, really LOVE the Gillette Platinum, but I find it roughs me up if I use it on a regular basis. By contrast, I find that the Derby is sharp enough to cut the beard without pulling, but also very smooth, kind, and forgiving to my skin.

My situation is: Very tough beard / Very, very sensitive skin (not just to blades, but also soaps, perfumes, sun, wind, etc.).

So, as I say, for me personally, the Derby is the best I've tried. My DE blade experience goes back to the final days of the famous "blue blade" (Gillette caron steel), and I've tried lots of blades over the years. To date, nothing has worked as well for me as the Derby.

YMMV, etc.