Feather, Red Personna, & Derby Blades Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
scruffy

Feather, Red Personna, & Derby Blades Review

Post by scruffy »

I hope this will be helpful to the newbies out there.

I have used feathers, the Red Personnas from Ebay and now Derbys.

The Feather blades are very sharp. They leave a bloody mess if you are not careful. I got 7 shaves out of the blade. I threw it out because I was scared what would happen if it went bad.

The Feather worked great in the Travel Tech, and Super Speeds. It was harsh in the Feather Travel Razor.

I have used Personnas for a little over a year. They are on the mild side, but get the job done. I would have to do extra passes on my neck and nose to get them done well.

The Personna worked good in the Super Speeds and the Feather Travel Razor.
My neck and nose did need extra passes. It did not work well with the Tech. I needed to do four or five passes to get a decent shave. They were good for 3-5 shaves.

I tried the Derby this morning. I thought when it shaved that it felt the same as the Personnas. But when I looked in the mirror, my neck hairs and nose hairs were completely gone. They are better than the Red Personnas, but not as sharp as the Feathers. I think I like them the best so far.

I used a 60's silver superspeed. It should work better in the Tech. I am not sure if it will be too sharp for the Feather Travel Razor. It will probably be good in that as well. I am not sure how long the Derbys will last. The carton says that they are extra durable. I will see.
Ed
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Perhaps this belongs in the blade section?
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

This is the place. :)

Your preference mirrors mine. They're all good blades, but the Derbys were just that much better than the Red Personnas for me. The Feathers, IMHO, are in a whole 'nother league. They give me a very good shave, but they do tend to punish inattention and they're not as cheap as the other two. But that's why we try as many as we can!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus