Gillette Stainless?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jtpca

Gillette Stainless?

Post by jtpca »

Good Day!

I see the current poll and am curious. At many drug stores / supermarkets I see Gillette Stainless DE blades. Are they a simillar blade or a lower end product?
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Gillette Platinum blades that show, on the reverse of the package, they are made in the UK (Surrey, I think) are great.

At my local drugstores, I've seen Gillette Platium blades that show they were made in Russia. I've not tried these, but several folks have commented that they are subpar performers.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Avoid these blades, instead, sharpen coconuts; you'll get a superior shave :lol:
custom410

Post by custom410 »

Zach wrote:Avoid these blades, instead, sharpen coconuts; you'll get a superior shave :lol:
If in the situation where sharpened coconuts may be a choice, please try a nice sharp clam/oyster shell. However, remember, those Russian Gillette's that are available everywhere in North America will not perform as well as either the coconut or the clam shell.
Cheers,
Rob
Zach

Post by Zach »

custom410 wrote:
Zach wrote:Avoid these blades, instead, sharpen coconuts; you'll get a superior shave :lol:
If in the situation where sharpened coconuts may be a choice, please try a nice sharp clam/oyster shell. However, remember, those Russian Gillette's that are available everywhere in North America will not perform as well as either the coconut or the clam shell.
Genius advice!
I'm glad you offered this *before* any of us were stranded.
Think of the time saved!
Bravo, Rob!
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

If I understand correctly (and believe that I do), those of us that are landlocked could also break one of Squires beer bottles; then shave with a shard and achieve a better result.

Duly noted. :-s
Jason

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

B.Gurney wrote:If I understand correctly (and believe that I do), those of us that are landlocked could also break one of Squires beer bottles; then shave with a shard and achieve a better result.

Let's not forget the beer bottle sampler pack - find the shard that works for you...
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's right Dominic, and be sure to get the large pack.
Regards,
Squire
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

24 bottles in a case of beer. 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And since they come in one box isn't that just one serving?
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bud, By George!.....I think you've got it! Stay away from those dreadful things at all costs. The Gillettes you want are the ones sold in Britain, Scandinavia, and Greece. THOSE are superb.
Regards,
Gordon
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

ichabod wrote:
B.Gurney wrote:If I understand correctly (and believe that I do), those of us that are landlocked could also break one of Squires beer bottles; then shave with a shard and achieve a better result.

Let's not forget the beer bottle sampler pack - find the shard that works for you...
You are promoting evil by suggesting using beer bottle sampler packs. Pick your bottle and learn to shatter it correctly first to get a shard for shaving. Only when you proficient at this should you consider trying a new bottle.
~Greg
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Bud, By George!.....I think you've got it! Stay away from those dreadful things at all costs. The Gillettes you want are the ones sold in Britain, Scandinavia, and Greece. THOSE are superb.
Good to know!!!

I am surprised that this day in age (Globilization and all) that a company would send crap to one corner of the globe while still providing a premium product elswhere. Perhaps we are still percieved as the colonies.

Appreciate the feedback as does my good lady wife!!
Jason

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bud, P&G ( Gillette division ) is inscrutable, secretive, and...well....not especially nice. There are MANY different DE blades made all over the world that are sold under the 'Gillette' name. Often by facilities that Gillette merely holds a controlling interest in, but didn't build, and doesn't run directly. And these blades vary across the spectrum in quality. I have little doubt that one of their most crappy has been deliberately chosen for the North American market. Believe me, the very last thing that they'd want to encourage here is any resurgence in DE shaving.
Regards,
Gordon