Which Merkur do you prefer?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Merkur 38C aka Barberpole
57%
Merkur HD
43%

Total votes: 28

The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

I would like to know which Merkur you guys favour and why. It would be great if the people who vote have really used both razors.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

For me, the 38C's weight and spiral engraving somehow encourages it to twist in my hand as I shave. I would probably like it a lot more if it had regular chequering on the handle.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I like the weight ratio between the HD's handle and its head; seems like it was designed to promote good technique. I like my Tech and my New as well, but not the ones with the thin handles. I've purchased an old Aristocrat a while back with a nice handle but a scratched up head and put that on a Tech, which I like a lot, but it doesn't shave 'better' than the HD! I digress, because I have to do a Powerpoint now and I don't feel like it! Don't worry, no one in this office knows the first thing about shaving! :wink:
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

I have both but use the 38C almost exclusively. I find the additional weight and longer handle more to my liking.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Where is the slant? I want to vote for the slant. I have never used the 38C so I cannot submit a vote...
slant 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
The Truthinator

Big Swifty wrote:Where is the slant? I want to vote for the slant. I have never used the 38C so I cannot submit a vote...
slant 8)
We all know that you love your Slant. So do I. But I was going to buy a HD or 38C in the next days, so...
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Gotcha Max,
I just saw "which Merkur do you prefer" and you know where my mind went. I love that photo in the post you made about the barberpole slant...can't wait.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

The Truthinator

Big Swifty wrote:Gotcha Max,
I just saw "which Merkur do you prefer" and you know where my mind went. I love that photo in the post you made about the barberpole slant...can't wait.
I actually copied that photo from a German website that already sells the 39C. I think I would prefer the Slant with the short handle, it simply has great balance and is very user friendly. Unfortunately I can't use mine every day or my skin would suffer. That's why I will buy another Merkur (38C or HD). I am leaning towards the HD. Even though I have big hands, I really like the balance of the Slant (and therefore the one of the HD) and think a short handle makes the razor easier to maneuver.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Yes I agree,
If you love the heft, size, weight, and length of the handle of the slant but are just unsatisfied with the actual razor's head, I would definately say go with the HD.
~Steve

The Truthinator

Big Swifty wrote:Yes I agree,
If you love the heft, size, weight, and length of the handle of the slant but are just unsatisfied with the actual razor's head, I would definately say go with the HD.
Well, it's not that I am unsatisfied with the head, you see. I quite like the Slant, it's the best razor I have used so far and I have used quite a few in the last months. But my skin can't take a daily shave with this razor and maybe not even one after one day off. I hope the HD will be a razor I can use daily.
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

One great feature of the 38C is its abililty to retain heat. When you rinse the blade with hot water, the unit stays warm which in my opinion adds to a great shave.

The longer handle makes a big difference for the technique I use.

Honestly, if it was not advertised as the 'barberpole' I would have totally missed it.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

simply slant
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
Lopyswine

Post by Lopyswine »

is there a drawback to the extra weight of the Barber pole 38C?
The Truthinator

Lopyswine wrote:is there a drawback to the extra weight of the Barber pole 38C?
I can't tell you from my own experience, because I haven't used it yet. But people who use this razor usually report that it is a tad more aggressive than the HD. Wether that is good or bad for you..., well, you know the answer to that one, don't you?
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

The Truthinator wrote:...But I was going to buy a HD or 38C in the next days, so...
The correct SMF answer should be...Buy both and post your personal experience and opinions for all of us to read. :P :wink:
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
The Truthinator

nodaktim wrote:
The Truthinator wrote:...But I was going to buy a HD or 38C in the next days, so...
The correct SMF answer should be...Buy both and post your personal experience and opinions for all of us to read. :P :wink:
I would be more than delighted to accept your generous financial investment to realize this test report. :D
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

The HD was my first razor and it shaved decently well with feather blades. I wasn't a huge fan and never really got into it. Than I started up with some RAD and grabbed a Slim and a SS. After using them and making my way through a sampler pack I went back to the HD with some Wilkinson blades that I didn't like in either the SS or Slim. I have to say. Wilkinson blades in my HD have given me the best shave I've ever had.
-Jay
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

MERKUR!!!

I didn't actually vote...

But IMHO... ALL Of THEM...

(Naturally)...

They just work for me and I love them (All of them...)

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

The Truthinator wrote:
I actually copied that photo from a German website that already sells the 39C. I think I would prefer the Slant with the short handle, it simply has great balance and is very user friendly. Unfortunately I can't use mine every day or my skin would suffer. That's why I will buy another Merkur (38C or HD). I am leaning towards the HD. Even though I have big hands, I really like the balance of the Slant (and therefore the one of the HD) and think a short handle makes the razor easier to maneuver.
I haven't really researched the 39C...

Give me some details and your assessment...

TXS... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
The Truthinator

Racso_MS wrote:
The Truthinator wrote:
I haven't really researched the 39C...

Give me some details and your assessment...

TXS... :D
I can't give you an opinion on the 39C, Oscar. I haven't even tried it (yet).

Note the emphasis on yet.