Shave Passes

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Shave Passes

1 Pass
1%
2 Passes
31%
3 Passes
27%
3 Passes Plus T&C
36%
I just Can't Help Myself
5%

Total votes: 75

jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Shave Passes

Post by jvan »

I have read posts lately with people stating that after two passes they are at the BBS stage, some take three, some one.

In order to achieve that level I require three passes plus a T&C pass, what say you?
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

First pass is WTG (some XTG on the cheeks). Second pass XTG, but ATG on the cheeks. I did dare to go ATG on my neck this morning - something I just don't do after "burning" the living daylights out of my neck with three shaves in one day (old Basic Training story). Seems okay so far.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I do 3 passes with lather (with, across, against the grain), and then an Oil Pass.
Occam

Post by Occam »

It depends to an extent on the razor, but also on how good your technique has become.

I was doing three, just because I wanted to... the third gave me only marginal benefits as in some areas at the centre of my neck and jaw angles might have palpable - not visible - stubble after only 2.

But lately the pragmatist in me is coming out... 3 passes seems a bit much now... oil pass? forget about it - way too wanky. I'd settle for a one pass shave before oiling up my face with a commercial product let alone one I'd blended with 5 types of oil (I've tried the KOS oil --- 'kinexium' and if that isn't the wankiest name ever for a wetshaving product then I don't know what is).

All my preferred razors - President, 58TV and #21 are capable of giving superb 2 pass shaves... and that's what I plan on doing from now on... one WTG and another XTG with slides.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
drumana

Post by drumana »

2 passes plus some touch up when I use a Feather blade - or - 3 passes with a Derby blade.
-Andrew-
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

bbs for me requires 2wtg & 2atg. so 4 passes. although I often go with a very acceptable 2 pass 1wtg 1atg.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
Mr Mxyztplk

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

I don't even bother counting the passes anymore, but I am probably in double digits. I think my technique may need some tweaking.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Three passes for me - one with the grain and the following two against the grain. The across the grain pass has always been ineffectual as far as my shaving routine is concerned. After three passes, I like to do a little extra work on the upper lip to get it smooth.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I'm a two pass shaver. 40+ years of technique can do that for you. I do some blade buffing (the Trumperman Roll) on my neck after the 2nd pass and found this to be a pretty advanced technique and a few here have adopted it.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

passes (in order):

1 pass WTG on face
1 pass WTG on my neck
1 pass XTG on face
1 pass ATG on face
1 pass on the neck, all j-hooking
a touch up w/ the oil pass

i shave my adams apple area last b/c its decently prominent.

i get a BBS shave like no ones buisiness. irritation free.
BJC

Post by BJC »

2 and a half passes. I do one WTG, one ATG, and the an additional ATG on my jawbone only. It gives a almost BBS shave with no irritation or problems.

BJC
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Someone enlighten me, what exactly is 'T&C'? Is that a touch-up pass? Sorry I'm not hep to the jive.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, I've done it all those ways for considerable periods of time, at one point or another; one, two, and three passes, with or without touch-up. Never used four passes though, except as experiments where I'd do a fourth pass against the grain. Never made any difference in the quality of the shave, but it did encourage irritation. Today it's three full passes; two N/S and the third XTG. Don't bother with any touch-up anymore...don't really need it.
Regards,
Gordon
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

i_shaved_something wrote:Someone enlighten me, what exactly is 'T&C'? Is that a touch-up pass? Sorry I'm not hep to the jive.
Touch and Cut. You are using your non-shaving hand to lead where your razor goes for a touch up.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Barbarosa

Post by Barbarosa »

Leisureguy wrote:I do 3 passes with lather (with, across, against the grain), and then an Oil Pass.
Hi,

If I may ask, what is an oil pass? Do you use pre-shave oil?

Regards,
Alfred
mrsankey

Post by mrsankey »

Barbarosa wrote:
Leisureguy wrote:I do 3 passes with lather (with, across, against the grain), and then an Oil Pass.
Hi,

If I may ask, what is an oil pass? Do you use pre-shave oil?

Regards,
Alfred

You can read more about the oil pass HERE.

Some people swear by it, but others like me find it not so useful.
Andrew
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

One pass leaves me looking excellently groomed and totally kissable :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Clive, I also look good after one pass, well, maybe I don't look good but I look clean shaven, but when I run my hand over my face I don't feel good.

Maybe it's because I am retired and have a lot of time or maybe I have become anal regarding wet shaving, but I rarely clean up my kit untill I my face feels smooth in all directions. While it sounds as if I might spend half of my morning with razor and brush in hand my 3 passes plus a T&C pass take no more than maybe 12 or 13 minutes.

The fact that I have actually come to enjoy shaving probably plays a prt in this also.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

When I first came to SMF I was a one pass shaver. I went to a three pass then after some time to a two pass and now back to my one pass. I find I get the best overall shave with just one pass ATG. :shock:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

ZiggyDeath

Post by ZiggyDeath »

Four Passes

1 WTG
2 XTG
1 ATG

Anything less would mean that I look unshaven.