Derby Blades, A Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Thanks for the great review and comments.
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John, I've found the same thing. I rated the Derbys so high because of their performance in my long handle Gillette Super and my Schick Krona. When reviewing a blade I give it the highest ranking I can and these work well but not in all razors.
Regards,
Squire
Bedros

Post by Bedros »

Hi all, I just received 100 blades from Gio and they have 4 , I guess glue spots on the blades. Is it me or did I not notice it on the previous hundred blades I just finished. I too like these blades, and use them in my fatboy, ss , and hd. It always amazes me how a blade will work fine for some and others have a disastous time with them. I of course give the benefit to the shaver but always think there is another reason, which when realized will make the shaver change his opinion. Just a thought ....................Bedros
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I find the Derbys to be a very good blade for the cost. They are a good trade-off between smoothness, sharpness and longevity.
They do perform differently in various razors for me, and my go to razor is the Gillette red tip in which they perform pretty good.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

For me the Derbys are very good blades. I use them regularly in the following razors:

Merkur 23C (LHC, this one is a little on the rough side compared to the Gillettes)
Gillette Ranger Tech
Gillette Ball-end Tech
All '50s Gillette SS
'59 FatBoy

They are not the sharpest blades, and I generally can't go xtg with them (except on my head) but they are also quite forgiving.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

several members have mentioned that derbys are not for all types of razors but i haven't seen anyone mention which ones. can someone tell me which razors have not been good with derbys? thanks
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

gil3591 wrote:several members have mentioned that derbys are not for all types of razors but i haven't seen anyone mention which ones. can someone tell me which razors have not been good with derbys? thanks
It's not that cut and dry. For me, the Derby's didn't work well in two fixed head Merkurs, but were passable in two others with different handles and "balances", a very subjective assessment. See Squire's comments above where he did not like them in a Merkur but rated them excellent in other razors. There are LOTS of forum members who find the Derbys stellar performers in Merkurs and others who whink they are mediocre in one or another razor. You have to see how they work for you in your razors and with your technique, beard, and skin.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

I tried the Derby some months ago and hated it. Plopped another into an HD yesterday and was rather pleased. Me thinks even the same razor. Go figure.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Buck, good to see the second round was better. Have you tried the Derby in a different razor?
Regards,
Squire
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

The best razor for me with a derby was a red tip super speed. They also worked acceptably in a NEW and a Tech - however didnt perform nearly as well as the red tip.
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I used a Derby all last week in my Merkur 38c-blue and my shaves were okay at best. I remember getting much better shaves with them in my '59 Fatboy back when I had one. I may try a Derby in my Krona next.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Krona would be a good choice, very well designed razor.
Regards,
Squire
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Squire wrote:Hey Buck, good to see the second round was better.
I'm coming to the conclusion I have been rather unfair to a number of blades, dismissing them out of hand early on in my DE journey as poor performers, when my poor newbie technique back then was almost certainly the main factor.

Derby blades have been one such victim, and another one I need to revisit.
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

Seamaster wrote:
Squire wrote:Hey Buck, good to see the second round was better.
I'm coming to the conclusion I have been rather unfair to a number of blades, dismissing them out of hand early on in my DE journey as poor performers, when my poor newbie technique back then was almost certainly the main factor.

Derby blades have been one such victim, and another one I need to revisit.

Count me in the same boat I guess.

Squire - I tried the Derby again later in the Futur, but I really dont like to give a blade evaluation with that razor as I find it makes even poor blades decent. Ergo, the HD was my benchmark tool.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
Bedros

Post by Bedros »

Just to let you all know Paul at Connaught has a special .......3oo blades for $ 30.00 .....Thats a good deal !!! .................Bedros .......He offered it to me ,but I didn't see it posted , so ask if you're curious !!! Shipping Included !!!!
nav

Post by nav »

Derby blades did not do it for me. I did get 3 shaves out of them so that is not my issue. I feel that they weren't smooth like astra SP's. I can push out 4 shaves from my astra's without any irritation, derby's gave me irritation from the first shave.
DarkAudit

Post by DarkAudit »

My first Derby shave was complete crap. Skipped and dragged all over the place, and left me still rough after 4 passes. I was using my slim @4 to start, and was at 6 by my 3rd pass. Switching to the red tip the next day wasn't much of an improvement.

Today, however, is a different story. Another Derby, from a different source, in the fatboy @5. Three passes plus touchup. Not perfect, but definitely a DFS when I wasn't expecting one.
Luxlover

One of my Favoroite blades - always excellent

Post by Luxlover »

One of most favorite blades. Always get a smooth, comfortable, extra clean shave. I generally use a slim adjustable, but they work very well for me in my slant, fat-boy and super adjustable.

Steve
Luxlover

Post by sparkster123 »

Bedros wrote:Just to let you all know Paul at Connaught has a special .......3oo blades for $ 30.00 .....Thats a good deal !!! .................Bedros .......He offered it to me ,but I didn't see it posted , so ask if you're curious !!! Shipping Included !!!!
i took advantage of this deal and i live in the us and got them in a week. you need to pm him and he gets rite back to ya.

randy
Bedros

Post by Bedros »

Glad you took advantage ....thats some deal and they're nice blades ! Have you tried The red personna's they're nice too ! Very smooth and Cheap at WCS !
Bedros