Derby Blades, A Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

hi bedrose

yes i have about a 100 of the red packs.i do like them very much.

randy
melyus
Vendor

Derby supply

Post by melyus »

Dear Friends

İ am in the origin of where derby DE Razor Producing in Turkey .. İf Anybody needs help please no hesitate me PM...

Kind Regards!
gotsumoves

Post by gotsumoves »

Tried Derby blades for the first time in a Merkur HD 38c. I found these blades to be very smooth and comfortable. Not as sharp as other blades out there but it more than makes up for it in the comfort department. Definitely a top five blade for me. glad I tried it.
Enjoy your shave,
Jose

Current Set up:

Merkur HD barberpole in blue
Feather blades
Rooney Emillion horn
Col Conk's Bay Rum
Proraso menthol
Witch Hazel
Ebano & Ebano Aftershave Balm
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very smooth blades.
Regards,
Squire
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

Squire,

How do they compare to Merkur blades?

Thanks,

Vince
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Better
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Vince I was on the phone when I caught your post. Merkur blades are decent but not first rate.
Regards,
Squire
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

NewYorkBuck wrote:
Count me in the same boat I guess.

Squire - I tried the Derby again later in the Futur, but I really dont like to give a blade evaluation with that razor as I find it makes even poor blades decent. Ergo, the HD was my benchmark tool.
NYB, that's what makes the Futur such of a superb shaving tool!...:D
Regards,
David
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

gotsumoves wrote:Tried Derby blades for the first time in a Merkur HD 38c. I found these blades to be very smooth and comfortable. Not as sharp as other blades out there but it more than makes up for it in the comfort department. Definitely a top five blade for me. glad I tried it.
OK, Jose. I guess now is as good a time as any to try the Derby with my Lord Smart, whose head is a copy of the Merkur's. The Derby is one of my least favorite blades with my Weishi, but I've held onto my pack to see what they would be like with a different razor.

So my next shave will be with a Derby.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, after several go-'rounds with the Derbys, over the last couple of years, I have concluded that for me, in this price range and level, the IPs are the better blades. For me, they are more consistant as well as smoother cutting and easier on my skin. I tried the Derbys in various TTO Gillettes, which are really the only razors I use, so, experimenting further seemed rather pointless. They obviously seem to be loved by many, but I am not one of them.
Regards,
Gordon
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

Squire,

Thanks for your response. Where would Merkur blades be on your numerical rating scale?

Thanks,
Vince
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

About a 6.5 Vince but that's a guess from memory because I haven't used one in years. Merkurs are good blades but not worth the premium the brand commands.
Regards,
Squire
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

Thanks Squire,

I have bunch of Merkur blades from various razor purchases. I was looking for a bench mark when the inventory slims down. I get a fine 3 pass shave with the Merkurs in either Merkur or Gillette razors. I have found Personnas to be smoother. I have yet to use some German Wilkinsons that I bought locally.

Vince
Zepher

Post by Zepher »

The Derby is an incredible blade.

Out of the sample packs I have bought I have tried about 35 blades.

I'd put the Derby in the top four or five. Value for money, it is #1.
Tommy C

Post by Tommy C »

mission of burma shave wrote:they didn't work that well for me. smooth while shaving but irritation later in the day.
I had exactly the same experience. The shave was ok but the redness and irritation I got was just too much. I have tried it with Gillette SS and matched it with my Slim but I didn't like the results, I rarely get any irritation and even if I do, it goes away a couple of hours after putting the after shave but it wasn't the case with Derby. I have found better blades out there for the same money. YMMV.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Trying a Derby this week for the first time since last year. Given a short leash like the Krona, the blade was capable of a good shave, but with more irritation and weepers than other blades I've tried recently.

Monday evening: Tried this blade in a Super Adjustable set at 3 with ARKO Lemon.
First pass on a 2-day growth was smooth, with above average beard reduction. In going for the gusto on the second pass, I set the razor to 4, and the blade changed dramatically. There was noticeable roughness and bloodletting. On the third pass the razor was set back to 3, and I survived/finished with a good shave.

Though this blade is rated similarly on the Squire scale. the Derby is definitely not as smooth for me as a Treet Classic, a Shark, or even a Dorco 301.

I will try to finish the week with this blade in a Krona, and may try another sample in weeks to come, but plans to stock up are on indefinite hold.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sometimes the blade and razor are just not a match. I am a big fan of Derby but they do not work in all my razors.
Regards,
Squire
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

derby seem to be bringing out more polar reviews than any other blade around.... I quite like em myself.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
sebell

Post by sebell »

Derbys have been fairly good to me, although
there are other blades that I prefer. I might
say that they are in the IP range of blades:
smooth, but not terribly sharp.

- Scott
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Based on rave reviews on Derby blades they were the first blade I tried and kept going back to them after trying out other blades and the results are the same each time, they nick the heck out of my face and are the worst blade I have ever used.