Sputnik Blades Reviewed

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Sputnik Blades Reviewed

Post by Squire »

Description: This is another brand with a cool package, looks like the line is the curving surface of the Earth and the yellow disk the Sun, or something like that. The Cyrillic words on the package and blade are neat.

Characteristics: These stainless blades present in a double wrapper with the cool language imprinted on each. This blade has a long sloping grind from the table down to a quick tapered honed edge. I submitted two pictures because I was trying to capture an anomaly. The edge does not appear to be perfectly straight and there are tiny notches visible. The blade is teflon coated.

Use: I have been told, and found it to be correct, the coating on this blade has to be worn off a bit before the blade does it's best work.

Conclusion: I found this blade to give adequate results but it required more fooling with in different razors and settings than I have patience for. I will not be buying these in bulk. Rated 6.
Regards,
Squire
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

I tried these blades just once and found them to be super aggressive for me. But now bearing in mind what you and others have said that they may be a bit tamer after the first shave, I will have to revisit this blade again 8)
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by Squire »

They're worth trying Anthony, I have a few I could send you if you like.
Regards,
Squire
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

on the package it says "spootnik" and on the blade it says "covered in teflon"
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Squire wrote:They're worth trying Anthony, I have a few I could send you if you like.

Confirming your earlier commments...

I used them in a blind test of 13 blades last fall, giving each a minimum of 3 shaves, no matter the consequences.

They were the mystery blade, very rough for the first shave, then good for the remaining two.

--------------

Kent
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

I used one of these twice. That was two times too many. A poor blade IMO.
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Tried one of these today.

A very rough and tumble shave with more nicks than I've had from pretty much any of my recent sampler pack selections. Am undecided as to whether or not I will try the blade again in the hope of a smoother second shave. In general if I don't get a good first shave with a blade, we part company.

A cheap blade, and felt it.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I have had good experiences with this blade. 3 passes with a slant I still get BBS on shave 22! If this number seems high I am big on prep.

Alan
malocchio

in orbit

Post by malocchio »

I have gone through a couple of packs in the last year , no problems for me,I also think it needs a few strokes to get the coating off,but all in all it has always given me nice shaves
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

My new mantra: Cork 'em!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Odio Barbillas wrote:My new mantra: Cork 'em!
Dat's an option...

...Dat's an option!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I tells ya, Ravi, it gave me a comfortable shave with a Merkur AND a second try with a Dorco 301.

Sure, we may not all find this stropping business worthwhile, but I, for one, do not argue with success. It kills me to have to throw out even a free blade. Now I can get some use from anything!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Bruceonshaving

Post by Bruceonshaving »

From the same St Petersburg factory as Iridium, Gillette Yellows, Astras etc.
The other big Russian DE blade brand is Rapira, from Moscow.

I have now researched Petersburg Products International and written it up as a blog article, it is amazing just how many different DE blades come out of that place. It would be fascinating to do a technical comparison of them all, side by side. To see just how different or (more likely) how much the same they all are.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Tried these a year or so ago, good blade. Not the best Ive ever used but didnt have any complaints.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

With my slant I can still get a swooosh on pass no 4 of shave no 35!

Alan :!:
alcx77

Re: Sputnik Blades Reviewed

Post by alcx77 »

An update to this last post. This blade has, once again, come up in my rotation and I am on shave 32 in my Slant with, I
suppose a few shaves more to go. I rated the blade "Recommended" at 6 shaves........for me the rest are merely a matter
of curiosity. Start out with the nimble G1000 than switch to Futur and lastly the Slant when the blade is not long for this world. :lol:
soweczka

Post by soweczka »

work perfect for me. using it for about 6months and is ok
BPman

Post by BPman »

I wonder is Squire got an old Sputnik before Gillette in St. Petersburg started making them. I say this as I tried a new one recently for three shaves and am blown away!! One of the smoothest blades I have ever used and just sharp enough as well. This to me is smoother than the Astra SP. I need to buy some of these!! =D>
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I probably bought those blades about eight years ago so who knows now. If you like the current ones buy all means stock up.
Regards,
Squire