The New Aristocrats?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Mr Mxyztplk

The New Aristocrats?

Post by Mr Mxyztplk »

I am absolutely baffled at the prices some of the razors are going for at eBay. Aristocrats, Fat boys, and Slims I kind of understand -- but Techs? :? I paid $20.00 less for a sharp-looking 1951 Aristocrat.
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

The way things are going,traditional wet shaving will become a hobby for the rich and famous.What a joke. :evil: Hang on to your razors chaps. :lol:
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

:shock: WOW!!!

The only thing I can guess is that maybe they were bidding on the great condition of that cardboard packaging. Cardboard boxes like that are hard to come by considering it is probably 40 years old.

With that said, I got one in similar condition (though box not quite as nice, close, but not quite) for ¼ of that price... :D
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Rodd

Post by Rodd »

There are people who are afraid of using a razor that was used by someone else. A razor that was never used is worth the extra money to them.
There are some people who collect, and a never used, mint in box razor is worth more to them.
You get these two people bidding against eachother and the price reflects it. Personally I collect to shave. I like to be able to pick a razor in the morning, and shave with it. New old stock is worth no more than a well used razor.
Tacobell

Post by Tacobell »

Rodd wrote:There are people who are afraid of using a razor that was used by someone else. A razor that was never used is worth the extra money to them.
There are some people who collect, and a never used, mint in box razor is worth more to them.
You get these two people bidding against eachother and the price reflects it. Personally I collect to shave. I like to be able to pick a razor in the morning, and shave with it. New old stock is worth no more than a well used razor.
One has to wonder about the astuteness of this collector to pay so much for this razor. This is outside the curve
David

Looks good but can you shave with it?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

On the other hand, this was pretty disappointing for me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0223330003

At least there were no crazy bidders to bid it way up and then fail to pay, leaving me at the mercy of the extremely unreliable "second chance offer", and left with a wasted auction.

But this one did better than expected:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0225846780

It depends a lot on who happens to be bidding.