Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Squire,

You clearly said India 2!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So I flunked geography.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi gordon i want to say that no apology needed but thank you anyway
when i first began de shaving in my 20's the year was around 1974

i started with the hoffritz slant and merkur blades there a time i could not get then and i could buy gillette and wilkinson i seem to remember that i liked the wilks better i think because they were more consistant by the last 80's or 90 they to went down hill and i found a source for merkirs again
late last year i found this forum and i found all the sources for about anything i could ever want

i have a ongoing friendship with giovanni from razor and brush
and with jim from vintage blades and i cant forget em's place to mention a few

i am so happy for years i thought i was the de wetshaver left

marc
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well Marc you're definitely not alone.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Here is another variety to spice up this thread. Another made in India blade.

Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, the plot thickens, Watson! You'll need your revolver tonight.
Regards,
Squire
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I also found the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp to be quite sharp indeed. For me, they are sharper than the Feathers, but obviously (as shown by comments in this thread as well as in the polls), different shavers will have different responses to the same brand of blade. This is by now pretty well established and is not a surprise.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got some 7 yellows and have been trying them in my adjustable long. First, I was using Feathers with a setting of 7 to get to bbs in 3 passes and a polishing pass dry or sticky. When I put in the 7's I could hear every whisker snap off and plink PLINK it was so rough. The next day more of the same. I just couldn't understand it. The first day I had shaved off a substantial layer of skin from my cheek. It got a thin sore area that really burned with all lotions or balms. Then I changed blades and was going to try a much lower setting after reading a post that indicated better results with low settings. I looked and the darn razor was set to 9!!! After I put in a new blade and set it to 3 I got a very smooth first pass but not quite as smooth as my best Feather shaves. I achieved bbs using the same technique as the Feather but with the razor set to 3. I think this last one is very good compared to the various Israeli Personas, Derbys, Gilettes, and others I have tried and failed to get bbs with.

Ouchmychin (Peteaaaa0
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire wrote:Ok, just to keep things straight, Green O'clocks from Russia are Green 1 and Green O'clocks from India are Green 2.
I'm a Catholic, and this past weekend our parish was visited by a Vincentian priest from India.

It is customary for the priest to stand by the front door after Mass and greet everyone. So when it was my turn to shake his hand, I thanked him for coming, and told him that my razor blades are made in India. He was surprised and doubtful, so I told him "Gillette 7 O'Clock", and he smiled and said that he didn't know that.

When I got home I checked to make sure, and learned that what I have is from St. Petersburg. Oh well, he won't care!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
tone

Post by tone »

I really really like these blades, just as nice to shave with as crystals in my opinion.

Almost so good I don't even wanna try my polsilvers and super iridiums I have waiting!

Tone
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I actually do have some 7's from India. I got them at an Indian grocery, and they're marked "India". However, I haven't gotten around to trying them yet...
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Squire, thanks for all these blade reviews. Extremely useful. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow Package). These are the best blades I have tried so far. Very sharp and smooth. Just ordered 200 more from Giovanni in case, as you always say, they get discontinued
Regards,
Al
superbleu

Post by superbleu »

Does Gio offer a discount for buying blades in bulk(100-200)?
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

No
Regards,
Al
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes and no, he will on some that are moving slow but you have to ask.
Regards,
Squire
infotech

Post by infotech »

James
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

James, thanks for posting that. It re-affirms, for me, the hope that quality DE blades will be readily available for years to come.
Rich
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

It's funny. I get the ominous impression that Gillette is in total control of the market for DE blades and can tell us now that if we refuse to buy their d--nd Fusions we will pay--WE WILL PAY. I'm feeling like now that I've finally gotten my Fatboy, it will cost about the same as a Fusion to use it. It's already 50 cents a blade and I suspect the use of terms like premium mean the future will see even higher prices. Maybe I'm wrong and the future will see Gillette slowing down but they need profits just like the rest of us. I think (in my paranoia) that they are reading these threads to figure out which blades are prized enough to support even higher prices.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
jayb

Post by jayb »

Ouchmychin wrote:It's funny. I get the ominous impression that Gillette is in total control of the market for DE blades and can tell us now that if we refuse to buy their d--nd Fusions we will pay--WE WILL PAY. I'm feeling like now that I've finally gotten my Fatboy, it will cost about the same as a Fusion to use it. It's already 50 cents a blade and I suspect the use of terms like premium mean the future will see even higher prices. Maybe I'm wrong and the future will see Gillette slowing down but they need profits just like the rest of us. I think (in my paranoia) that they are reading these threads to figure out which blades are prized enough to support even higher prices.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
Well, that's a scary thought. However you must remember that there are probably thousands of new shavers by the day (just an arbitrary figure, I have no idea really.) And Gillette sends a lot of these new shavers whatever their newest shaving incarnation is for birthdays, or whatever. They're pushing new technology to further their profits. If they offered DE blades that had the same amount of R&D money invested in them, I'd pay for them even if they sold for the same money as their multi-blade carts.
Justin
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks for posting those links, James!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed