Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

these are really good blades and do outperform their pay-grade.i sure am glad to have a stock of them.

randy
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

does anyone know where i can get these blades at a reasonable price? west coast shaving has them for $34. per 100 but the shipping is 9.84
:cry:
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Yes...Connaughts. About $25.00 (including shipping) for 100 when I ordered about a week ago.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/gillette7oclock.html
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thanks
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

if you email paul or pm him he might have the deal of 120 for the price of 100. i just sent him a pm as i am going to order another 120 my self .i just cant believe how much i like these blades and had shave 6 . mind you i have a full beard but not real tough so i feel this helps.

randy
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thanks
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

This evening I used one of these blades for the first time since last year. Back then my technique was not as good, and the razor was a Tech with Old Spice shave cream in the can, I believe.

This time the 7o'clock yellow was in a Super Adjustable set at 4, with Body Shop Shave Cream Sandalwood. Beard reduction was noticeably more in the first pass, but I wound up with a pronounced weeper on the chin and left the razor set at 4 in the next two passes. BBS, but with more irritation, especially with a 48+ hour growth.

This blade is not coated with PTFE like other blades I've used in recent weeks: Treet Classic, Treet Platinum, Crown Blue, ASCO orange, and Rainbow. Those coated blades allowed me to add pressure in certain non-sensitive areas, and still get a good shave. Not so with this blade as care and attention to pressure are required with every stroke on every part of the face.

The rest of this week I'll try starting with a 3 setting, and finishing at 4.
Last edited by Rufust445 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rufus, the Treet Classic, Asco orange and Rainbow are good blades, I use them on a setting of 3.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Rufus, the Treet Classic, Asco orange and Rainbow are good blades, I use them on a setting of 3.
I use those blades at a setting of 4 on the first pass, 5 on subsequent passes.

This morning I started with the 7o'clock yellow on a setting of three. Much smoother than the first shave, perhaps the blade is "breaking in."

The second pass was at 4, and the result was a nick on the neck. Finished the third pass on 3.

On my face these blades need to be kept on a short leash.
gotsumoves

Post by gotsumoves »

I shaved with a fat boy for the first time and used a 7o'clock. The blade was very sharp and I got a great shave with it.

These rank right up there with Feathers and Swedes in my book. The price makes them even more attractive.

I just have to see how many shaves i can get out of a 7 o'clock blade. I got 4 good shaves with the Feathers, I usually only get 2-3 shaves max with other blades.
Enjoy your shave,
Jose

Current Set up:

Merkur HD barberpole in blue
Feather blades
Rooney Emillion horn
Col Conk's Bay Rum
Proraso menthol
Witch Hazel
Ebano & Ebano Aftershave Balm
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

In re-reading this thread I was surprised to notice that I apparently never got back to it after receiving a pack of these 7 O'clocks, although I'm sure I posted on them elsewhere. I found them to be sharp and effective, but a bit rough. The Super Iridiums seem very similiar, but noticeably smoother and more comfortable to use. As far as I can tell, the SIs are the same blade as what they are selling as the new 'Gillette Platinum' in a few places in Scandinavia. Some also believe that they are the same as the Russian made Perma-Sharp blades that are sold in Turkey. I have a few of those on the way to me, so I should be able to report on whether I too think they are the same.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon, I found the yellow box 7 O'clocks and Super Iridiums to be quite similar in performance, both are excellent. The green box Permasharps I tested were made in India and were quite good. The green box Russian blades are labeled Super Stainless. Between the two I preferred the Indian version.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Well, I found both the yellow box 7 O'clocks and the Super Iridiums to cut close and cleanly, but to me they felt quite different in use. The 7 O'clocks felt somewhat rough and I doubt that I could use them day in and day out. The Super Iridiums felt considerably smoother, but were equally as effective...closer to the Swedes in feel. The Perma-Sharps that I have on the way are also made in St Petersburg and marketed in Turkey, where they are considered the premium blade available there. Tony seemed to feel that they, and the Super Iridiums, were almost surely the same blade in different packaging. I never tried the Indian version.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I was wondering about that, apparently P&G can sell the same label with whatever blade in different markets. The Russian plant makes some excellent blades though and we will suss out the best.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Yeah, Gillette ( P&G ) apparently has copyrights on many of these names in various countries and just uses them where and when they see fit. Like 'Personna' was orginally an actual blade maker in Britain but is now merely a copyrighted name owned by ASR. '7 O'clock' and 'Perma-Sharp' may have been, at one time, independent American blade makers who Gillette bought out in the '30s or whenever. And yes, we will continue to ferret out the best ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have re-read thru this thread and i have a post from what i found using these yellows i recieved as a sample i got from a order from gio way back when.

i ordered some different blades for my son to try and i kept some yellows for myself. when i posted my findings i said i chucked the blade after two passes. and finished my shave with a swede

i have been trying to like these yellows because there easy to get and not costly. now i find the first shave with a new blade isnt a comfortable or smooth to the face feel. but the second and third shave is very nice

the shave result is a smooth and close feeling and looking shave. still not as close a shave as a swede or merkur blade, but considering the cost and i can get 10 to 12 hours before i notice stubble its a duable blade to have around just in case

marc
goose

Post by goose »

Like Squire I couldn't tell a difference between the 7 O'Clock's and the Super Iridium Blades. It's interesting how different shavers perceive these blades.

Clint
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

goose wrote:Like Squire I couldn't tell a difference between the 7 O'Clock's and the Super Iridium Blades. It's interesting how different shavers perceive these blades.

Clint
The more I use both, the less I notice any difference as well. They both feel the same and are pretty decent blades.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Nitrox wrote:
goose wrote:Like Squire I couldn't tell a difference between the 7 O'Clock's and the Super Iridium Blades. It's interesting how different shavers perceive these blades.

Clint
The more I use both, the less I notice any difference as well. They both feel the same and are pretty decent blades.
i feel that the iridiums are a tad smoother
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Think I will try these both again.
Regards,