Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Re: Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Post by BeatlesFan »

Based on Squire's glowing review, I picked up a pack of these blades. Tried my first one today in my beloved '56 Red Tip. Despite my deep respect for Squire and general agreement with his assessments, I just didn't much care for this blade. Granted, it was acceptably sharp (though not anything special, IMO), but it just was not very smooth. My face didn't feel pampered, at all. Honestly, if I were to give it a rating using Squire's 8-point system, I'd downgrade it from his 7.5 to (at best) a 6.75. An "OK" mid-pack blade, nothing more.

I loved Gordon's description -- seems to be missing layers of coating or something!

I often use NOS Gillette Platinum Plus blades, which IMO are A#1. These yellow Russian DE's do not in any way even come close comparing to the Platinum Plus of yesteryear. Likewise, the current production Hospital Use Personnas quite simply blow these out of the water. I, personally, would rate my green-wrapper 2006-vintage Derby blades as about equal in sharpness, and vastly superior in smoothness. And if these were the only DE blade available, I'd switch to the Hydro 3, which is superior in every way (except price) to this blade.

Because I have those three (at least) much better DE options available, I really don't see myself re-ordering these blades, but I will update my post if my opinion changes for the better.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's too bad BF, no idea why they should feel that way. I haven't bought any Yellow Box 7s in years but I would hate to think they have slipped.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, I don't know as they have ( although they might have ). BeatlesFan's description of the Yellow Pack 7 O'clocks is not much different from how I experienced them several years back...which he alluded to in his post. I too thought the blades were pretty sharp but rather rough feeling, not that comfortable to use. By the feel of them I doubted that I could use them day in and day out without skin issues eventually. The Iridiums, now packaged as Polsilver Iridiums were better IMO. As far as I know I've not used those 'hospital use' Personnas that he mentions although I keep thinking that I probably should. His post is yet another reminder.
Regards,
Gordon
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Gordon, regarding the Hospital Use Personnas ... Gary (Brothers) was kind enough to send me some samples of these blades, which I would be delighted to "PIF" to you, if you'd like to PM me.

After sampling Gary's generously-provided samples, I was impressed enough to buy in bulk.

Knowing a bit about your blade preferences from prior postings and exchanges, I'm pretty confident that you will like these.

Let me know if can work off my debt to Gary by setting you up with some samples.
brothers

Post by brothers »

BF it was my pleasure. I'm pleased that you like these blades. This offer to send a few Personna blades applies to anyone who sends me a PM. Even Gordon! :D (Sounds like he's already got some coming now. Enjoy!)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

BeatlesFan wrote:Based on Squire's glowing review, I picked up a pack of these blades. Tried my first one today in my beloved '56 Red Tip. Despite my deep respect for Squire and general agreement with his assessments, I just didn't much care for this blade. Granted, it was acceptably sharp (though not anything special, IMO), but it just was not very smooth. My face didn't feel pampered, at all. Honestly, if I were to give it a rating using Squire's 8-point system, I'd downgrade it from his 7.5 to (at best) a 6.75. An "OK" mid-pack blade, nothing more.

I loved Gordon's description -- seems to be missing layers of coating or something!

I often use NOS Gillette Platinum Plus blades, which IMO are A#1. These yellow Russian DE's do not in any way even come close comparing to the Platinum Plus of yesteryear. Likewise, the current production Hospital Use Personnas quite simply blow these out of the water. I, personally, would rate my green-wrapper 2006-vintage Derby blades as about equal in sharpness, and vastly superior in smoothness. And if these were the only DE blade available, I'd switch to the Hydro 3, which is superior in every way (except price) to this blade.

Because I have those three (at least) much better DE options available, I really don't see myself re-ordering these blades, but I will update my post if my opinion changes for the better.
Evidently, the manufacturer standards affecting new blades are subject to change just as with the other products that we have experienced recently. ( (brushes, creams and soaps etc.) Maybe it is possible that blades that used to be very good are different then previously thought, because of manufacturing changes over the years that have elapsed since Squire first reviewed them. That would be unfortunate, if that is in fact what has happened.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have old stock as well and they are just as Squire reviewed them.

What a shame they changed. Or maybe poor QC?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brian, I can't prove it but I really don't think that they've changed. From their first appearance here some of us liked them but some of us found them to be rather 'rough' or 'crude' so it doesn't seem to be a matter of, 'a few years ago they were great but now they're not'. Rather I think it is a 'YMMV' sort of thing.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

When this thread started years ago, I had gone through one pack of these blades in a Gillette adjustable razor.
I found them a bit too sharp for me given my technique at the time, and not so smooth as, some vintage NOS
blades, and a newly discovered favorite, the Shark SS. Also the four thick wax spots were a show stopper
for me.

A few months ago, however, I discovered a razor that has made me almost forget about the various Techs,
Gillette adjustables, Lord-Merkur knockoffs, and Schick Kronas that I've tried over the past 9 years. That would
be the Dorco PL602. Every blade I've tried in it has given at least a tolerable shave, including some that I found
unusable in other razors. So, I found a pack of 7 o'clock yellows on the back shelf and went through the trouble
of scraping off the four wax spots with a used blade. The result? A closer shave with fewer passes and less
irritation afterwards. As close to shaving nirvana as I've experienced so far.

And, as observed on some Astra SS blades recently, it looks like the PPI plant has gotten the message and
replaced the four thick wax spots with two thinner, more manageable spots. All of this has motivated me to
look for 7 o'clock yellows online, and as luck would have it, I found a new vendor on eBay selling them as an
introductory offer, $14.99 for 100. And yes, I pulled the trigger.
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I see those old 9 year old reviews, it makes me wonder just what changes if any have been made in the materials, processes, and machinery. I suppose it could be possible that the blades may be identical only in name and packaging, but actually completely different blades. it makes me wonder if anyone has maintained a familiarity with the same brand of blades for such a long time and can render a current opinion on any perceived differences or similarities.
Gary