Blade question????

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Blade question????

Post by blackgrass »

I have noticed something and curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing. It seems like I get my best shaves on the second or third time I use a blade. The first time I use it I tend to get little nicks and some irritation. I have noticed this with most razors whether it is a DE or a disposable. Anybody else?
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

My guess is your might be using too much pressure when you shave. Since a new blade is sharper, this is probably why you are getting small nicks. As the blade ages, the edge gets duller and hence makes you less prone to the small nicks you are experiencing. Try letting the weight of the razor provide the pressure of the blad making contact with your skin. Hope this helps.
Randy
jhco50
Sixshooter

Post by jhco50 »

More than likely the new blades have a little bit of a wire edge that falls off after a couple of shaves. If I were to over sharpen a knife, or a Str8razor, I would get a wire edge like this. As I am doing the sharpening, I can correct this problem. In your case there is not a whole lot you can do. They do sell old DE razor hones and strops sometimes on ebay.