Dorco 301 Blade Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jss

Post by jss »

Hi Squire, and Paul,

I'm the, "this guy who Dorco tells that the ST300 and ST301 are the same blade in different packaging.." As I stated in my post I live in San Diego, and DORCO USA, is located here..So I decided to contact them about this puzzlement..I am in full agreement with Squire:

"Paul, these tales never die. Frankly, I don't care who the delegated email answer person is but they don't know what they are talking about or don't care. As my review photos show these two are different blades."

My post was intended to show that confusion abounds regarding this matter, and continues through DORCO'S Corporate offices..My real question continues to be, is this intentional or ineptness by DORCO??

Best regards to posters and readers,

Julian
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Julian, welcome aboard. Frankly, none of us can say what is in the mind of Dorco management, I can say the Dorco 300 and 301 are different blades and shave differently. The 301 is a better blade.
Regards,
Squire
jss

Post by jss »

Hi Squire,
Thanks for this review and the welcome....
Regards,
Julian
iamdarkangel2008

Dorco Blades No more Controversy! :).

Post by iamdarkangel2008 »

Hello Guys,

I need to help clarify a few issues after the arrival of the ST301. I am the man to help you with this information, ;).

As you have read, there seems to be a confusion over the ST300 and the ST301 of which one is better. I hope i am able to clarify here.

Let me first say that the ST300 have being around for ages already and before there color change they used to have the same color as the ST301. Red and White Packaging but in Carton Design. I am not 100% sure if it was 2006 or 2007 when Dorco changed the color desing from Red and White to Blue and White. The blades still seem to be the same but with different packaging.

In 2008, the ST301's where introduce to America but because these blades are a little bit more expensive you still don't see this in small store shops yet. This blades I was told that were the same as the ST300, but packaging was totally different from the ST300. They were to be intended for barbershops as they are dispensed faster instead of braking the carton from the ST300's. Also, there was a wax paper cover added for blade longetivity compare to the paper type of the ST300. Overall this blade is actually better then the ST300, but many people haven't tried this blade yet.

I sold 1 ST301 to Rufust, who says that " I was cought in the confusion ", but I actually made a mistake on sending the right blades, it was a mistake on my part and not the product. I asked him to keep the ST300's, but he kindly returned items back and I rewarded him with 50 extra blades ST301s after everything was cleared.

I actually don't know JSS, but I read the post. He would like to know the diffrerence between ST300 and ST301.

Let me first say that Dorco Korea is the only maker of Dorco Blades and Dorco Disposable Razors. So if you were told to talk to Dorco USA (San Diego) They have no clue of what you are talking about since they only make Dorusa Dispable Razors and do not carry or make any blades. For that same reason Dorco and Dorusa have not linkable relationship on blades and therefore the confusion and unawareness of the product on USA side.

So, to finalize on this let me say that yes. This two blades are different from each other, though they seem to have almost the same design shape and form. ST301 is better than ST300, though the ST300 is requested and sold more at local shops than the ST301. Once there is a buildup of knowledge about the ST301 being better though more costly, I hope there are more stores to carry this product.

Perhaps in the future, the ST301 will have its on design chage. To avoid confusions between products. But remember, there are other brands that carry multiple different type of blades with its own design and shapness to it.

I hope this has being informative and well noted for any future confusions. Perhaps there should be 2 reviews instead of 1. One for the ST300 and One for the ST301.

Thank you guys,

Dark
Always Enjoying a Good Shave!!!
Red Personna in store 5 pack and 10pack!
100 Red Pack Personna Blades now in Stock
www.razorbladesandmore.com
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Well, that cleared up everything. :wink:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thank you for the information Dark. Actually I did two separate reviews and I'm sure my findings are correct.
Regards,
Squire
iamdarkangel2008

Agree to findings!

Post by iamdarkangel2008 »

Squire,

I agree with your findings as well.

Thank you for the review ;).

Dark
Always Enjoying a Good Shave!!!
Red Personna in store 5 pack and 10pack!
100 Red Pack Personna Blades now in Stock
www.razorbladesandmore.com
lofat

Post by lofat »

Thanks for these reviews. Makes for a great starting point.

I just ordered 50 of these to test them out.
Best Regards-
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I was surprised to find these blades rusting in my HD between shaves. :shock:
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

Shaved for the first time with one of these earlier this week. It will be the last time. Pulled from jump, and never got much better. Worst of all, it gave me redness under my lower lip that I have not had since starting w DEs.

Following day, went back to 7 Yellow. No pulling, no redness. Used the Dorco in a more suitable role to scrape glue off my new office furniture.

Will not be trying this one again.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Wow! Are blades ever a case for "YMMV" with shaving products. I use 7 O'Clock Yellows and Super Iridiums in my Super Speeds but Dorco 301ST's in my Merkur DE's. The milder 301's and the aggressive blade exposure of the Merkurs make a good match. Shaves are smooth. Blade longevity is short, but they are cheap.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

NewYorkBuck wrote:Shaved for the first time with one of these...

Will not be trying this one again.
Get lucky and grab the only bad one in the bunch? :wink:
The ST-301 is a personal favorite of mine.
But, hey, if they're not for you, no biggie to me. It's all about enjoying your shave the way you like. Don't let anyone tell you any different!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

a-cut-above wrote:Wow! Are blades ever a case for "YMMV" with shaving products. I use 7 O'Clock Yellows and Super Iridiums in my Super Speeds but Dorco 301ST's in my Merkur DE's. The milder 301's and the aggressive blade exposure of the Merkurs make a good match. Shaves are smooth. Blade longevity is short, but they are cheap.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm 3 weeks in with ST-301s, and I'm quite impressed. I use Derbys, Treet DuraSharp Coated carbon blades, and Super Iridiums for pretty much every shave.

Lately I've been using a Merkur 1904 DE almost exclusively, and like Dave, I'm impressed with the 301's performance with a bit more blade exposure. These shave me a bit like Derbys, but as someone mentioned upthread, there's no need for that breaking-in period which happens during the first shave with a Derby. It's good right out of the box, very smooth and with good - but not incredible - sharpness. Where I differ from Dave is blade longevity. Derbys give me 4 great shaves and one fair one (meaning I never take them past the fourth shave). Dorcos give me 5 great shaves, and I'm going to try pushing this one a day or two more.

Really good for the price, and while they're not Super Iridiums, with a fixed-head Merkur, I haven't found that I need the Iridiums anyway.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I am going to backtrack a little and agree with Tim. I have been using a wetter lather of late, due to using a straight intermittently, and maybe to my technique getting better over the last year. The softer whiskers are noticeable, and I am getting one or two shaves more per blade, so the Dorco 301 is lasting +/- five shaves.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

TBoner wrote:But the question is, Is an 8 perfect? It may be the best available, but perhaps there's something about it that could be improved, thus leaving open the possibility of a 9 or 10, or even an 8.75.

Squire?
Tim,

We all know blades are a "Your Mileage May Vary" YMMV. Squire's research is an invaluable comparision tool but the razor blade that works for me in my razor may not work the same for you in your razor. However, he does give us a starting point and a great amount of "institutional knowledge" to prepare us.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

The ST301s have taken over from Derby Extras as my blade of choice. Just smooth from the get-go (for me)) and I get a decent number of shaves out of them.

Interestingly, for those who live in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area, the Roundy's supermarket chain (Rainbow supermarkets in central Minnesota) carries house-brand DEs in a blister ten-pack. They're clearly marked "Made in Korea". I'm not aware of any other DE manufacturers in Korea, so I'm suspecting they're Dorcos (not sure if they're 301s, though). They shave like them for me. Might be worth a try if you happen to be near a Roundy's or Rainbow.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

100 can be bought now for $9.99 with shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-DORCO-Platinum- ... 3efbb8a2e1

I've used the Dorco 300 and did not get good results. However, they are smooth and could be a good practice blade for beginning DE shavers.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

If you have a razor with the new Muhle/EJ head and favor a blade that's smooth and moderately sharp, then the 301 may be a wonderful match. My previous blades of choice has been the IP- utilitarian, smooth and sharp enough to do the job- but I've always had to work a little to get that last bit of closeness. Sharper blades, like the Swede, 7 O'Clock Yellow, Polsilver and Iridium gave a close shave readily but, after a couple of weeks, were just too much for my skin. I've been using the 301 for about the last 3-4 weeks and am getting very close shaves without that extra work required by an IP. Yet the smoothness of an IP is still there. And for the price, well worth a try.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Chris,

About the time I thought I had enough blades, you come on with this upbeat review. I guess I'll just have to buy 100 for $10.00 and see if you're right!

P.S. This link is active:
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-DORCO-Platinum- ... 414cc80af6
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Ta-da!

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Dug out the 301s from the bottom of my box o' blades this morning. Ah, but rather than simply pop one into an ax, I stropped it on a packing peanut.

Dropped it into my Weishi, and made sure I got a decent lather from my bay rum glycerin puck with my Omega boar. Success! Satisfaction!

No cheese-grater action for a change. Neither was it the smoothest shave I ever had, but it was comfortable. Oddly, the sound it made as made my passes was louder than I get from any other combination I've used in the months of my journey. But, I am smoothly shaven with out any irritation. There was no burn when I used my Ogallala cedar 'n' sage AS.

While I don't believe I'd ever invest in a bulk buy of these I know that they are not so bodacious when stropped. But they sure are noisy! And I shave every day; no unusual growth to affect anything.

I wonder what the 300s will be like when I strop 'em?
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS