How many razors does a guy need?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i average 10 a month. if it goes beyond that, SWMBO will have my head for breakfast.
mission of burma shave

Re: How many razors does a guy need?

Post by mission of burma shave »

k1rod wrote: How many razors does a guy need? #-o
How big is your house? There are bigger houses you know.
regards,

mj
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Need is a relative thing, isn't it? I own 3 different adjustables (Fatboy, Slim & Black Handled) and one fixed blade -- a superspeed. It has taken a number of years to acquire these few items. I would like two more -- a Tech (possibly a Canadian from the 40s or earlier if I can find one), and a EJ Chatsworth which I could order just about any time I want, but am in no rush to do so.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I only need one but own several. Well, maybe a few more than several, a lot more actually, but a man can't be too careful regarding backups.
Regards,
Squire
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

I'm now up to 5, so the answer is 5! :)
Rob
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Fewer than I already have. But "need" like many thing, is very subjective. As always YMMV. :lol:
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"Need"? One. But there is that little....a....psychological....a..'issue' that David allluded to with that quote in his inital post.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I surrender to your razor-rites

Between the mathematicians, statisticians, philosphers, faithists, lawyers, psychologists and woolies I have no hope of convincing anyone that one razor is enough even if you do *know* deep within your souls that I am right!

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Magnulus

Re: How many razors does a guy need?

Post by Magnulus »

I don't collect more than 2-4 of any particular razor model, and I only keep ones I'll use or ones that have some especially important value. Otherwise, I think it's good to part with them and let somebody use them. Not too much need for hording. I also occasionally polish and replate the nickle plated Gillettes, if they need it. It's not hard to do. Chrome and gold are the hard ones and I've gotten less spectacular results trying to replate chrome- gold is hard because the solution doesn't last for any period of time at all.

Of course, I really don't counts parts. I've got about a dozen bits and pieces of assort "Tech" parts that I can build a razor out of, but I retired the other pieces because they were trashed so bad.

My collection consists of:

2 Gillette Slim Adjustables
2 Gillete Superspeds from the late 60's 70's (black handles
4 Tech's and pieces
1 weishi
1 Parker (horrible, horrible razor- blade exposure is way uneven and I don't use it, ever)
1 40's Injector and 1 70's injector
3 GEM's from various years and models. One is unusable due to the little holding nubs being worn down.

The Slim Adjustables may eventually end up on eBay, just because I've come to the realization that adjustables are mostly a gimmick. I get decent shaves from mild razors, I don't need to go ballistic on my face.

I also have several razor blade hones and a Twinplex stropping machine that really doesn't work. The hones all work, though (the results are not spectacular, we aren't talking Feather sharp, more like Merkur).
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

As N approaches infinity, a razor collection of size N turns into a (nickel-plated) black hole*, rendering moot the need for shaving.

* Except for Tony Espo's collection, which becomes a gold plated black hole.
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

fallingwickets wrote:I surrender to your razor-rites

Between the mathematicians, statisticians, philosphers, faithists, lawyers, psychologists and woolies I have no hope of convincing anyone that one razor is enough even if you do *know* deep within your souls that I am right!

Clive
Hi Clive,

I know you are right. As a matter of fact I can't help but think that I would become more adept just concentrating on using one razor. The problem is, it's just not nearly as fun or interesting as hunting them down, trying and using them all!

rod
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

Pauldog wrote:As N approaches infinity, a razor collection of size N turns into a (nickel-plated) black hole*, rendering moot the need for shaving.
* Except for Tony Espo's collection, which becomes a gold plated black hole.
Pauldog,

I think the finances will peter out befor the gravitational pull becomes too intense.

rod
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
lux

Most of us are collectors!

Post by lux »

Good morning fellow shavers,

NEED ? 1 only

Collect : several to many.

There is a sub-group amongst us who rotate all or most of their razors in actual use. Variety is a spice of life.

Kind regards,

lux
Neither this, nor non-this, nor both, nor neither.
Regnare servire est.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I think a little Boolean is needed

N = Maximum of Credit or the absolute value of (swmbo knowledge and swmbo tolerence level) whichever is lower.
Ron