Schick Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
alcx77

Schick Blades

Post by alcx77 »

Four single pass BBS shaves with a vintage Schick from the 80s I suppose...yellow package silver and black dispenser...saw of pick of the
package somewhere on this board. Shouldn't be playing with these old things though since I have so many others to try from Giovanni's small sampler.

Has the location of manufacture changed for Schick DE blades in the last 20 years? I understand their injector blades are getting hard to come by as well.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

If it's the old Schick Super Chromium blades you are talking about, I concur. They are fine blades. My supply dates from the early 1970s.
Rich
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, they were very good, especially the Schick Platinums from that general era. They were owned by Warner Lambert at that point, and both the DE and Injector blades were made in the US. Today, Energizer owns the Schick and Wilkinson names ( in most Western courntries anyway ). Both types of blades are now made in a facility in Germany, and they are not nearly as good.
Regards,
Gordon
Magnulus

Re: Shick Blades

Post by Magnulus »

Here in Florida injector blades are not hard to find. But there is little selection. ASR/Personna blades are mostly all you find. Beauty supplies and drugstores usually have them.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Appreciate the feedback. I will be interested to see which
blades at least start out being one pass and cleanup affairs
as opposed to multi pass from the start.
ChrisW

Re: Schick Blades

Post by ChrisW »

alcx77 wrote:Four single pass BBS shaves with a vintage Schick from the 80s I suppose...yellow package silver and black dispenser...saw of pick of the
package somewhere on this board. Shouldn't be playing with these old things though since I have so many others to try from Giovanni's small sampler.
BBS shaves with a single pass? Damn, I sure wish Schick still made the old injector blades. It'd be perfect for travel, or hurried mornings.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, It was; and that's exactly when I use mine. I still have a few magazines of the old US made injector blades, but not many. So, I save it for travel and when I'm in a real hurry ( see my SOTD post for 5/2 ). The blade situation is such a shame. Until a year or two ago I would routinely recommend the Injector to newbies transitioning into traditional shaving from cartridges, and to guys having particular trouble with sensitivity issues or razor bumps, and it was a godsend to many of them. 'Injurylaw' comes immediately to mind. It was the Injector that solved all his prior shaving woes. And now you can't get good blades for them except on eBay at times.
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

What about the Chinese blades? Are they available online at all?

Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Derby blade
Syntex bush
VDH SS
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is going back only a couple of years from when this thread was started, so I think it's still relevant. I've recently picked up a handsome old injector with a butterscotch handle that I want to clean up and use for a while, before deciding whether to keep it and use it or just sell it, if it has any value. Here's the question regarding blade availability, I see some vintage blades on ebay, and new blades on Amazon. For those guys who use the Schick Injectors regularly, which sources do you guys recommend most highly, for price and performance?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I have purchased injector blades on ebay but not amazon. The important thing is to make sure you are getting stainless steel blades, whether they are new or vintage. I have shaved with Pal carbon injector blades and let's just say it was a challenging shave.
Rich
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have not heard reports of really bad stainless Injector blades. (Certainly some are better than others; that's not my point.)

Has anybody had stainless Injectors that he would class as "terrible, stay away"?
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Get the Schick Platinum, Chinese version, they are very good blades. I mix these with NOS Platinums and have been very happy with the results.

Buy them here:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... atid=89896

Ignore the made in Germany, all the ones I've received have been made in China.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

notthesharpest wrote:I have not heard reports of really bad stainless Injector blades. (Certainly some are better than others; that's not my point.)

Has anybody had stainless Injectors that he would class as "terrible, stay away"?
Yep, the ASR brand and all it's various store brand names. I know that some people like them, but I've never got a smooth comfortable shave from any of them.
Pity too, they used to make what was probably the best blade on the planet.....the Personna 74.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Personally I would not call all the ASR variants "terrible", but after years with the excellent US made Schick version they weren't really acceptable either, plus they didn't load properly half the time.The German made Schick versions were verging on 'terrible" IMO. I do not think that the newer Chinese made specimens are as good as the old Warner-Lambert blades, but they're head and shoulders above the ASR versions and are certainly 'good enough'. BTW, those older models of razor are more aggressive and not as well made as the later ones ( L, M. N, and O ) IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I don't have an injector anymore but I did have a model L once - it was a spectacular shave and easy to use.
Taffa

Post by Taffa »

Buy the new chinese version you wont be dissapoint i have old plus platinum blades but like Gordon say the old ones are other thing.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon and David are never wrong when it comes to injectors. The Brotherhood has its Mojo together.
Ron