Trig Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Trig Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

Description: These are stainless blades made by the Treet Corp. that present in a cardboard box with no means of blade disposal. The blades are protected by a double wrap with no glue.

Characteristics: These blades have a similar appearance to the grade blades of other makers and do not have some the characteristic markings of the production equipment so perhaps they are made in a streamline fashion. The edge is a single bevel from the blade table with a single hone and the workmanship shows a little rougher texture than the higher quality blades.

Use: This blade provides a decent shave and manages to be sharp enough but not especially smooth. Rated 6.25.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire, talk about YMMV! The other day Leisureguy listed the Trig as one of his "best blades".
Yanner

Post by Yanner »

I think your being generous with a 6.25, one of the worst blades along with all the Treet blades made in Pakistan, just did not suit me at all.

I'm sure it would suit some people, but not me.
Iwan

Whoever saves one life,
saves the world entire.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I agree with Yanner. While these blades are pretty sharp, they are exceedingly rough in my daily razors, which are mild razors. I tried three blades about six times and could never get a comfortable shave. But who knows, maybe they would work better in an aggressive razor. But I'm leaving that job for someone else. Anyone want he remnants of thee pack?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
LGWapnitsky

Post by LGWapnitsky »

Yanner wrote:I think your being generous with a 6.25, one of the worst blades along with all the Treet blades made in Pakistan, just did not suit me at all.

I'm sure it would suit some people, but not me.
Call me crazy, but I got a good shave off a yellow Pakistani Treet this morning. I hadn't shaved since Wednesday, and my beard is a tough one. I'm feeling pretty smooth this morning after a 2-pass (wtg, xtg/atg on neck). We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

One side note, I did commit a SMF "carnal sin" and exfoliated in the shower with a natural scrub. Believe my, sometimes it's just necessary to get that extra little bit to get a BBS shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Iwan, I have been a bit troubled about this myself. A good blade is good no matter who uses it, however I've found that any blade, no matter how good, may not work in every razor. So if the Trig matches your specific razor you will get a better shave than if it doesn't match. The Trig worked well enough in a couple of my razors to get a 6.5.

I've decided that if I can coax a decent shave out of a blade I'll rate it a 6.0 and if it's any worse than that I simply won't write a review.

Unless of course I run into a World class stinker that everyone should be warned about.
Regards,
Squire
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

In a strangely ironic twist, Gio included 2 packs of blades in my last order for me to try out - Trigs, and the recently reopened reviewed zorriks.

Coincidence, or SMF gods looking out for me?
hamelfarm1

Post by hamelfarm1 »

Comments here perfectly sum up YMMV - I get on really well with every Treet blade (including the Trigs) in every DE I've got, yet I've got sensitive skin. By rights, it sounds like they should be among the worst blades for me and tear my face up no end, yet I get better and more comfortable shaves from Treet blades than I do Swedes or Wilkinson Swords. Funny/strange.
Steve
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire,

Thanks for the reviews on so many blades. I have chosen a few that you recommend highly to sample and see which two or three I like best.

I took a shot at the Trig mainly because the cost on R&B is so inexpensive. Did not expect a really good shave. But to my surprise I got a great shave the first day, a not so comfortable shave on day 2, but days 3 & 4 have been as good or better than day 1. I am going to give this blade a shot at day 5 tomorrow. If it does as well as it did today on shave 4 then this could become my #3 blade, behind the Iridium and the Gillette Yellow 7 O'clocks. Who knows at the price it could become #1.

My experience goes to show that Michael (The Leisureguy) is not out of line calling the blade one of his top 3.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Nor, I must add, are Iwan and Chris out of line for their bad experience with the blade. It's difficult to internalize, but shavers' experience with a blade (soap, brush, razor, etc.) will vary, and it's pointless to try to label some experiences as "right" and others as "wrong." They're all "right" — each person knows his experience is right, but that doesn't make the experience of others wrong.

I love the flavor of cilantro, but I also believe that for some it tastes like soap.

That said, I think these reviews are extraordinarily helpful.
Royal Flush

Post by Royal Flush »

I've gotta try out some of the other Treets besides the Black Beauties. Those work well with me, I guess maybe because I am Pakistani, but they also have those stunning black finishes on em. Right now I'm using some Platinum chrome Personnas from Wal-Mart until I place another blade order, but those aren't too bad either in my Tech.
-Syed
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I'm always surprised I don't see these excellent blades discussed more on the shave forums as I find their price to performance ratio hard to beat. They're sharp and smooth and above all, predictable. I rarely get an unexpected mishap shaving with these.

While I find almost all the blades of the Treet stable give a good, comfortable, shave, this one has emerged as my go-to blade of choice. I think they perform better than Treet's higher priced top-of-the-line Platinums.