Squire's Blade Reviews

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Sir Squire of the south,

I received the blades I ordered and would like to send you 10 lab personnas and 10 hospital personnas for your reviewing purposes.

I sent you a PM a day or so ago for an address to ship to. I'm not sure if you saw it, I guess you've been under the weather lately.

Good health unto you.
Tom
jceclu

Post by jceclu »

I would like to thank Squire for his blade reviews. After four months of testing, I have found "my blades" in both the 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge and/or Permasharp. I had my doubts after trying eight others, but I am very happy how these are sharp, safe, and last a week each while maintaining a BBS shave. The combination I now use is a Merkur HD and Honeybee soaps with shave oil. Thanks again!
Measure twice, cut once!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hello jceclu, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
infabo

Post by infabo »

Squire, have you tried the German Wilkinson Sword? Love this blade, not particularly sharp, but really forgiving and long lasting.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes I have infabo and found they work a bit better than the Wilkinson Economie which I did review. The problem I have with them is twofold, one it's a brand so the blades I get may come from a different factory than the ones you have, and, second any blades from Germany sell for a premium and are not worth the extra cost.

Unless you really like them of course.
Regards,
Squire
vegasvics

Post by vegasvics »

http://image.ceneo.pl/data/products/2235721/product.jpg

Great thread. Quite possibly my favorite on all shave forums, I come back to this one for reference all the time.

Some questions arising about the blades pictured in the link above. They're claimed to be the repackaged version (same blades produced in same factory) as the original SI blades.

Squire - have you had a chance to review these yet? Anyone?
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Those are the original Polish-manufactured Pol Silver Super Iridium blades. When Gillette bought the company they ceased production there and moved it to St. Petersburg. The Russian Iridiums are much beloved and in scarce supply since the company stopped making even these fine blades.

CAVEAT EMPTOR! Counterfeits are out there.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
vegasvics

Post by vegasvics »

Odio Barbillas wrote:Those are the original Polish-manufactured Pol Silver Super Iridium blades. When Gillette bought the company they ceased production there and moved it to St. Petersburg. The Russian Iridiums are much beloved and in scarce supply since the company stopped making even these fine blades.

CAVEAT EMPTOR! Counterfeits are out there.
Sorry, I must have posted an older picture. As you can see from this one, these are supposed to be the St. Pete mfg version, different packaging and distributed in Poland
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

vegasvics wrote:Sorry, I must have posted an older picture. As you can see from this one, these are supposed to be the St. Pete mfg version, different packaging and distributed in Poland
Even so, I think the ones I had were in different packaging (because they were intended for the Russian market?), but it's been some time since I saw them.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Squire,
Is there some way to do a microscopic exam of one of the new Schick Hydro 5 blades? And if so to compare them to DEs and Gillette ProGlides. I think the Hydros are sharper than the Feathers I have used. And they stay sharp whick the Feathers do not.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
oldjoe

Re: Squire's Blade Reviews

Post by oldjoe »

What no Israeli Red review or rating? Or possibly I've missed something?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Squire,

I sent you a private message. Can you let me know what you think?

Thanks,
Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sure, let me see if I can find that.
Regards,
Squire
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Squire, do you happen to have any of your microscope photos from the blades? Most were lost here when we updated the forum software.
brothers

Post by brothers »

These excellent and very informative reviews are a valuable SMF resource when it comes to tracking down the old blade brands. It seems that the last time David (Squire) posted any DE blade reviews was 11 or 12 years ago. His access to the microscope was one of the most interesting aspects of his review process. It is unfortunate to learn that the photos were lost. There are so many brands to choose from these days, I suspect that most people have reverted back to searching the shaving forums for recent reviews of the most popular DE blades. This makes me wonder if a great many of the brands in those old posts have become obsolete through the passage of time or the industry that supplies blades have changed their blades through adding new brands or changing manufacturing methods, for better or worse.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Gillette bought some of the blade manufacturers (e.g., Polsilver and Astra), and moved production to Russia while keeping the same brand names.They're generally still worth trying.
Reon87

Post by Reon87 »

Braun also has good blades. I tried Phillips earlier, but Braun is better as for me. There are questions to the prices of models. Usually new models don't differ from the old one, but the prices are set too high, but it is a marketing question that applies to all brands.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Reon87 - welcome to SMF. I'm afraid you will find zero interest in electric shavers here, as it just isn't what the forum is about.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace