Squire's Blade Reviews

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Is there a review of Bluebird blades, by Squire or anyone else?
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

None by Squire that I know of. Someone started a thread about Bluebird but I, er, I don't remember which forum has it. :oops:

The consensus, IIRC, was that they are a decent blade, very reminiscent of, if not OEMed by Derby.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
zliv

Post by zliv »

I'd like to say there is no such consensus. There are opinions [one of them mine] that BlueBirds are NOT Derbys. Quite different as a matter of fact. Sharper than Derbys.
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

And I'd like to say in my own defense there are other forums with many threads in them. It isn't of great import in any event.

Hell, you've got a good thing where you're located. I could get Derby or Bluebird any day. You've got access to blades and creams not available generally to the NorthAm market!

Do you have any domestic scents there that are not exported? I understand the finest lavender comes from Bulgaria.
Michael G.
zliv

Post by zliv »

Couldn't say anything about domestic scents. As for blades, I have to say there is no big choice of blades here. Though Turkey is a neighbour country Derbys are not sold in Bulgaria. There are 5-6 blades in shops here: Bic, Astor, SuperMax Super Platinum, Polsilver Super Iridium http://image.ceneo.pl/data/products/2235721/product.jpg and Gillette Stainless red pack http://cokupic.pl/i/c_big2742953.jpg And German Wilkinsons, which are rare.
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Oh, I see. Well, you seem to have a bigger selection in shops than I have here locally in New Jersey. Here it's the store-brand Personna or the less-expensive German Wilkinsons. Various Personna single-edge blades are also available.

For the best selection, I have to go online. I am lucky to live in the States; I see something likely and I can have it in as few as three days. No customs officials to get between me and my RBAD. :twisted:
Michael G.
mur

Post by mur »

Any interest in doing a review on the Gillette Thin Blades?
george

Post by george »

added review of Lord Racer Blue Box blades
-Michael
george

Post by george »

Added Astra Blue/White review
-Michael
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Michael, your help is invaluable.
Regards,
Squire
george

Post by george »

'Tis my pleasure. I appreciate the time and effort you put into the reviews, my part is trivial.
-Michael
george

Post by george »

Added review for Voskhod blades.
-Michael
george

Post by george »

Added entry for Ladas blades
-Michael
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sorry to be dense, but where does one locate these entries that are being added? Best regards,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
george

Post by george »

Added entry for Gillette Bleue Extra blades.
-Michael
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Squire,

Have you reviewed the Personna Medical (Hospital Use), Lab, and Barber blades that have become all the rage?

I'm curious to see where they fall with the feathers and my standby Russian Gillette 7 o'clocks in the yellow box.

I need to get on the ball and order some myself.
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

I too would be interested in seeing what Squire thilnks about the Personna Prep (aka hospital use) blade. Opinions do vary, but Squire's is of value for someone who might be interested in a particular blade and hasn't had an opportunity to try it.

PS: I've got a few extra Personna Preps I'd gladly share with anyone interested in checking them out. Until the extras run out, I'll send a few of them to anyone that's interested, free gratis. PM me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

brothers wrote:I'm sorry to be dense, but where does one locate these entries that are being added? Best regards,
Gary, check the first post on page one of this thread.

Its nice because you can scan all the ratings, or click on the link to the full review.
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No particular reason Tom, it's just that I have only seen them sold in bulk and was not curious enough to buy 100 when I only need 10 for a through review.
Regards,
Squire
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Well I'll order some and send some your way. I did see a site that had lots of 50. I think that was blades and more, or something along those lines.

ETA- In the name of SMF science, I'll send you 10 Personna Lab and 10 Personna medical if that would be sufficient. They're now ordered. :-)
Tom