Squire's Blade Reviews

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Interesting; well thanks Squire.
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

These are great, Squire, and I appreciate the time you put into them.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
zliv

Post by zliv »

My first post here. I've been DE shaving for many years. And I'd like to thank Squire for those excellent reviews with all the details and photos. They made me try some new brands. I really appreciate Your efforts. Thank You for Your time.

Best regards!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Your welcome and its good to have you on board.
Regards,
Squire
Trainer7

Post by Trainer7 »

Squire,
Thanks for all the great opinions!

I will probably either buy a blade sampler or just buy bunches of blades off eBay or from the classifieds on this and a few others I have recently joined (like B&B). You have given me the foundation to decide which blades are "need to try" and which are "if there is an opportunity, but not mandatory"

Your reviews are very thorough and the blade edge images really make you think about what can't be seen; although, I do believe the main test is what you feel... including whether or not you feel blood dripping down your face:-)

Thanks,
Joe.
A newbie
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum Joe!

Squire has certainly saved us all a lot of time and experimentation (which I would never actually do on my own) with his reviews.
Regards,
Andy
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Just to add my two cents' worth, I thank the Squire for the useful information he's provided us with.

Since the brands I've tried have jibed with his reviews, I have decided to go ahead and obtain others based on his reports. Especially looking forward to Astra Plats, Indian Wilks, Shark Super Stainless, and Iridiums!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
yohannrjm

MallWart Wilkinsons

Post by yohannrjm »

Hello Squire,

Thanks for all the great blade reviews. They've been very helpful.

I was wondering if you'd had a chance to pick up any of the 'new' Wilkinsons that have replaced the Personnas at WalMart.

It seems they're german made, and I thought it would be nice to have them added to the review list.

They're not cheap (compared to online sources of good blades), but it's likely that beginning wetshavers may try 'em out since they're a brick and mortar place.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
Odio Barbillas

What I found in Wally World

Post by Odio Barbillas »

yohannrjm wrote:Hello Squire,

I was wondering if you'd had a chance to pick up any of the 'new' Wilkinson's that have replaced the Personnas at WalMart.

It seems they're German made, and I thought it would be nice to have them added to the review list.

They're not cheap (compared to online sources of good blades), but it's likely that beginning wet shavers may try 'em out since they're a brick and mortar place.
In my WM these brands are side by side on the shelf and identically priced: 10 @ $1.76 so I bought a pack of Wilks. Maybe they're phasing out the Personnas just now? I have Israeli Blues and a few of the U.S. generics I bought at RiteAid. I've gotten a good shave from the U.S. types and can get them for less than 18 cents apiece shipped to my home from a few online vendors. The German Wilks are more costly online; this is a good chance to try them for myself. Eventually. After the Sharks and all my St. Petersburg blades. And the Indians ...
Michael G.
yohannrjm

Re: What I found in Wally World

Post by yohannrjm »

Odio Barbillas wrote:
yohannrjm wrote:Hello Squire,

I was wondering if you'd had a chance to pick up any of the 'new' Wilkinson's that have replaced the Personnas at WalMart.

It seems they're German made, and I thought it would be nice to have them added to the review list.

They're not cheap (compared to online sources of good blades), but it's likely that beginning wet shavers may try 'em out since they're a brick and mortar place.
In my WM these brands are side by side on the shelf and identically priced: 10 @ $1.76 so I bought a pack of Wilks. Maybe they're phasing out the Personnas just now? I have Israeli Blues and a few of the U.S. generics I bought at RiteAid. I've gotten a good shave from the U.S. types and can get them for less than 18 cents apiece shipped to my home from a few online vendors. The German Wilks are more costly online; this is a good chance to try them for myself. Eventually. After the Sharks and all my St. Petersburg blades. And the Indians ...
WalMart cancelled their contract with ASR (makers of Personna), and are phasing out the Personnas and replacing them with Wilkinsons.

I don't really buy blades from brick and mortar places, as I have quite a large collection of blades already, but Im sure some people do. :D
Last edited by yohannrjm on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

That's what I heard elsewhere, too. I wonder if the Wilkinsons are any good.
Michael G.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Odio Barbillas wrote:That's what I heard elsewhere, too. I wonder if the Wilkinsons are any good.
I like them, though they are not as sharp as Iridiums or Feathers, and find they give very smooth, comfortable shaves with my HD and Futur.
Eric
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Flash G wrote:I like them, though they are not as sharp as Iridiums or Feathers, and find they give very smooth, comfortable shaves with my HD and Futur.
Looking forward to them!
Michael G.
george

Post by george »

I see I missed the review for one blade done back in mid-'08, which has now been added. If there are any other of Squire's reviews that I have missed, someone please tell me and I'll get them up there.
-Michael
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

No blade rated over 7.5 :(
brothers

Post by brothers »

ferroburak wrote:No blade rated over 7.5 :(
Check again, Feather blades have been rated at 8.0, even though they don't seem to last as long as some others, and there are several rated lower than that. The number is purely for purposes of rating them as compared one to another. Squire could have used 10 or 100, but didn't. 8.0 is a subjectively determined rating that means it is one of the highest rated.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gentlemen I apologize for my delay in responding it has been a hectic week and I am understaffed.

I used Feather blades for years and chose them for my control blade primarily for their sharpness. I chose an eight rating because I figured, correctly as it turns out, most of the blades would be close enough that a complicated rating system would not be necessary.
Regards,
Squire
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Yep, it woiks fa me! 8)
Michael G.
kenstee

Post by kenstee »

gagarin wrote:Methinks it may be time to consider a custom title for Squire. Given his chosen profession and affinity for blade evaluation, how about 'Blade Counselor'?
How about "Spiritual Adviser?"
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Ken! We will have to see if Squire is willing to sign-up for that one. :)
Regards,
Andy