I need a new razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Reverend Jim

I need a new razor

Post by Reverend Jim »

I started out with a Gillette ss and then got a Schick Krona. I liked them both but then I got a Gillette long handled black adjustable. I was in heaven. I gave the ss to a newbie here on SMF and gave the Krona to my BIL. I bought a slim adjustable but it turned out to be a piece of ........

Now my black adjustable is not shaving right. It seems to have quite a bit more exposure on one side. What gives? It is not dirty. I didn't drop it.

I am looking at the Treet TTO for $12.50 at R&B or the Feather TTO for $19.95. Any comments? Are the Parkers any good? I really am looking for a longer handled razor. Thanks.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
drandall

Post by drandall »

instead of the parker, i'd look at a long-handled merkur. the 2 piece design is easy to live with and my HD shave like a dream. they're also very affordable
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

FWIW, the Merkur Long Handled model is a three piece razor. I'd suggest you simply get another, and better, Gillette Super Adjustable. If you want a longer handle, they are in a league of their own, IMO. The Merkur will work if you don't mind a fixed blade and a fairly aggressive razor.
Regards,
Gordon
drandall

Post by drandall »

bernards66 wrote:FWIW, the Merkur Long Handled model is a three piece razor. I'd suggest you simply get another, and better, Gillette Super Adjustable. If you want a longer handle, they are in a league of their own, IMO. The Merkur will work if you don't mind a fixed blade and a fairly aggressive razor.
Regards,
Gordon
i thought it was 2 piece. whoops. i stand corrected. : )
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I too like the long handle and would suggest keeping your eyes open for another Super Adjustable - nothing else comes close.
It is longer than the Krona and as I look over the razors in inventory it is longer than any standard razor made. Shame about the Gillette Slim - was it a crappy razor or just not good for you?
It is considerably shorter than the Long Super Adjustable so is a poor substitute if its handle length you are after.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

The slim was just a crappy specimen.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
likwidoxigen

Re: I need a new razor

Post by likwidoxigen »

i've got a parker (79) metropolitan and it's a fabulous shaver. The Weishi razors are quite good as well. The cheap ($18) chrome one from Tryphon is quite good as well.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

CAN YOU SAY, "M-E-R-K-U-R". Of course I'm biased. But Merkur makes a wide variety of razors to suit all of your shaving needs.

I will sell you a short black handle non adjustable Super Speed if that is what you want, or if you are looking for a specific style, let me know. I may have it and it won't cost you an arm and a leg, plus it has a money back gurantee...

Just some advice and a suggestion...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Thanks for all of the input guys. I have a couple of things working now and I will let you know how this turns out.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Woo-hoo! Lucky me! L. Martino came through with a new Gillette long handled black adjustable. I received it today and tried it out with one of the Iridium blades that he tossed in the box. I am back in business!
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

if money is not an issue then get a Merkur Vision and you will not dread it. I look forward to my daily shave; even on a day off

:evil:
Have a wonderful shaving day
ateace

Post by ateace »

L Martino is the man! =D> He helped me with a similar problem.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I'm shocked.... SHOCKED that no one recommended a Toggle or 195 or solid gold English-made Aristocrat with a diamond encrusted handle in this thread. :shock:
~Greg
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi All,
I wanted to thank those two members (the Rev and anteace) for the kind words. Part of the fun of this 'hobby' is sometimes being able to offer inexpensive things that members would really like. It's a kick to be able to provide the kind of happiness a new razor, soap/cream, etc, can trigger in someone. Hehe, I'm in the same boat and do my fair share of buying as well. I LOVE getting things in the mail.....heh.
Anyway, it was my pleasure to be able to help......... and good timing. I just happened to have what you needed at the time.
Martin

Oh....Greg? You know, I DID offer Jim that extra 195 I have, but he was afraid the short handle wouldn't work for him. He didn't want to spend the $45, only to be disappointed. Can't blame him for that.........
Last edited by L. Martino on Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

L. Martino wrote: Oh....Greg? You know, I DID offer Jim that extra 195 I have, but he was afraid the short handle wouldn't work for him. He didn't want to spend the $45, only to be disappointed. Can't blame him for that.........
A 195 for $45? I suppose Sasquatch lives in your backyard too? :wink:
~Greg
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
L. Martino wrote: Oh....Greg? You know, I DID offer Jim that extra 195 I have, but he was afraid the short handle wouldn't work for him. He didn't want to spend the $45, only to be disappointed. Can't blame him for that.........
A 195 for $45? I suppose Sasquatch lives in your backyard too? :wink:
Hiya,
Yeah.......well it wasn't brand new. There's a few scuff marks on one door.
Too much? I guess I could always use it as a fishing weight.
Sasquatch near me? Nope, but something almost as bizarre. How's 'Mountain Lion in the neighborhood' sound? Yep, a few weeks ago, it cruised through town late one night, according to sightings by residents. The cat musta been trolling for poodles maybe.
Anyway, you might have seen the animal killed by Chicago cops a while back......that was the kitty in my town the night before as it turns out. Full grown, five and a half feet long, 150 pound cougar shot in a Chicago neighborhood. Crazy eh?
Martin
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

L. Martino wrote: Anyway, you might have seen the animal killed by Chicago cops a while back......that was the kitty in my town the night before as it turns out. Full grown, five and a half feet long, 150 pound cougar shot in a Chicago neighborhood. Crazy eh?
Martin
Not so crazy. Cougars are not the only ones appearing where they normally are not found. A few years ago a photographer snapped a few frames of a jaguar..... in Texas. Jaguars have not been seen in the wild in Texas in over a hundred years.

/edit: oops.... misspoke there. I meant Arizona.
~Greg
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

L. Martino is The Man.

I really didn't take the 195 because I heard that they kind of adjust while you're using them and $45 just seemed like to much money.

:lol:
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

ateace wrote:L Martino is the man! =D> He helped me with a similar problem.
I still happily use my EJ BBB, courtesy of L. Martino... :D
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Glad that it worked out. Sounds like you got what you needed, and it really was the best choice. Good show. Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon