Gillette Swedes, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
goose

Post by goose »

Scott,

That is most unfortunate. One other thing to be aware of. Classic Shaving sells Gillette Super Silver Blades, but not the Swedish Gillettes that are being reviewed. The packaging looks very similar, but they are not the same blades.

Clint
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Clint-

Ah, never noticed that! This is the first time I've ordered them from CS, having previously stocked up from WestCoastShaving-- my previous stockpile recently depleted. Thanks for clearing that up, and good shaves to you sir!

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Well by golly if it ain't old Scott! How's it going Old Man?

Good to see you peek in here now and then.

Regards, (and 73)

Bill
Don't think......shave.
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

Ah, could it be the cold weather? I know these blades are coated with oil of some kind.

Cheers.

J
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Bill old boy, good to see you're still about! Just ordered some Skye EDC, and GFT Talc to add to the collection. Still can't stay away from the Trumpers, no matter how hard they try to make me.

J, this is more than oil. I literally could not get them to separate, no matter how I bent, twisted or pried (of course I did all of the above gingerly, since I want to keep my fingers-- useful for a variety of functions). No, this was an obvious manufacturing cockup-- the way they were uniformly mis-packaged, super glued together, etc.

I'll need to order some from from WestCoast this next week.

-Scott
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scott, Good to hear from you. Don't feel too bad, another member made the same mistake.....or was about to until we caught him just before ordering. I do love that Trumpers talc...enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Gordon-

Equally good to hear from you. I'm rather glad, in retrospect, I had problems with these ersatz Gillettes, otherwise I might not have known I got the wrong blades.

I do hope the rumours of Trumperfication of the Swedish blades turns out not to be the case, as I have always found them to be easier on my face than Feathers, and smoother by far the the IPs I frequently have used.

Good shaves to you!

-Scott
BPman

Re: Gillette Swedes, a Review

Post by BPman »

Squire, I tried an 'official' Gillette Swede blade once and my experience mirrors your initial one to a 'T'. I was quite frankly not that impressed. However, I bought some of the White paper box Platinum blades (long discontinued) and they were simply stellar. It was incredible in how different both blades shaved. That said, I honestly believe Gillette in Russia is using that technology in their top tier blades, the Platinum, Rubie Platinum Plus, etc., and even enhanced it some. Just my 2 cents. :wink: