Treet Black Beauties, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tribe, you're correct, as I said above these blades are not for everybody. Then again, don't assume that someone who has a lot of posts has their technique down.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

Squire wrote:don't assume that someone who has a lot of posts has their technique down.

+1
Royal Flush

Post by Royal Flush »

This blade is extremely YMMV, It works somewhat decently for me, but its not entirely smooth. It was the only blade my father used in Pakistan during the 60's until he came to America in the 70's. I was able to get some packs really cheap from Pakistan when my aunt went, but I've decided Polsilvers would be better because they're smoother, and I don't have to dry em out with a cheesecloth.

Overall, I do like these blades, but just not the best.
Luxlover

Post by Luxlover »

I am using a Blue Special right now. I use a slim-Adjustable. This blade works very well for me and I am going on my fourth shave with it tomorrow.
Not pulling yet. Nice blade.
I still like the Derby, Iridium, 7 O'Clock (Yellow) and Wilkinson Economie best so far. I still have to try the Feather.

Steve
Luxlover

Post by Leisureguy »

The Treet Blue Special is my favorite blade. I get very smooth and easy and close shaves (typically with a 3-pass shave and a polishing pass). No irritation, no nicks. Once I put in a new blade and got a rough and tuggy shave. After some experimentation I was able to determine that I had gotten sloppy with my prep and my whiskers were simply not sufficiently wetted. (I started shaving about 5 seconds after I quickly lathered.) Since then I've taken more time in the lathering and the problem has no recurred.

I rinse the razor head in 99% rubbing alcohol after shaving and can easily get 5 or 6 fully satisfactory shaves from one blade. I do know some shavers who like the blade a lot and use a new blade for each shave.

And I do recognize that some people really find the blade intolerably dull, even though for me it's quite sharp and smooth. Strange, but true. Everyone must be guided by his own experience.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

This is certainly a sharp blade and I would be surprised that anyone would find it dull, assuming proper prep.
Regards,
Squire
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

[quote="GA Russell"]
edit: Giovanni sells them under the name Treet Blue Special.
/quote]

This is what was confusing me -- all the different names for the Treet blades. I bought from Giovanni, and there they were the blue specials. I did not know they were the black beauties. I also got the platinum chrome. So that leaves the ones in the grey and blue packs, the dura sharp hi tech steel. Do these have a nickname also? How are they compared to the others? Thanks,
Tom
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tom, counting the Trig there a half dozen of them. Could be more, it's a big company, these are just the ones I have. I've reviewed all but two and one of those is ready to be published in the next couple days.
Regards,
Squire
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

I tried this blade for the first time this morning - two days of Labor Day Weekend stubble - was looking forward to a great shave. UGH! One pass, and this blade tugged and tugged and tugged. For the first time ever, I had to swap out a blade mid shave. Went to a German Wilk and the Teutonic blade glided over my chopped stubble and finished just fine.

These will be going back into storage for some time........
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
King-D

Post by King-D »

This is the first time I tried carbon steel blades, and these beauties were both sharp and smooth. A great shave with my '68 slim adjustable. I would encourage anyone to try them out. I didn't bother to get a second shave out of the same blade.
David

Shave in the shower!
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

You can add me to the pro-Treet Blue/Black contigent. I just had my smoothest, most irritation-free shave ever courtesy of these cheap-and-cheerful blades.

To date, my best shaves have been with the erroneously nicknamed "Swedes" (Gillette Platinums), but as we all know, these are hugely more expensive. My worst shaves have been with Derbys and Dorcos, and I know these are popular choices, so once again, we're clearly in YMMV territory.

Yes, they rust, and rust quick, but they're cheap enough to use-and-lose.

FWIW, I invariably get a good shave out of all the blades of the Treet stable, notably Trigs. So I guess if Treets generally treat you well, this is a blade you'll enjoy.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

King-D wrote:I didn't bother to get a second shave out of the same blade.
David, I tried a Black Beauty blade once, and I got seven shaves out of mine.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Seamaster wrote:You can add me to the pro-Treet Blue/Black contigent. I just had my smoothest, most irritation-free shave ever courtesy of these cheap-and-cheerful blades. To date, my best shaves have been with the erroneously nicknamed "Swedes" (Gillette Platinums), but as we all know, these are hugely more expensive. My worst shaves have been with Derbys and Dorcos, and I know these are popular choices, so once again, we're clearly in YMMV territory. Yes, they rust, and rust quick, but they're cheap enough to use-and-lose. FWIW, I invariably get a good shave out of all the blades of the Treet stable, notably Trigs. So I guess if Treets generally treat you well, this is a blade you'll enjoy.
Interestingly, my second shave with one of these did not go so well. I tried one in my HD and suffered a number of nicks. My first shave with one was in my Progress dialled down to my usual less aggressive setting (1.5). I shouldn't be surprised, as I have found this to be the case with most Treet blades. Clearly they work best for me in an adjustable. As ever, YMMV.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, our shaves do vary as does our golf swing, shaving's cheaper though.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Well, our shaves do vary as does our golf swing, shaving's cheaper though.
The few times I got out this summer gave me the impression not as many rounds of golf were being played as in previous years.

What I've spent on razors, blades, and cream this year would cover a few rounds.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My shaving is cheaper.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I suspect you have 10 times as many blades stashed as I have.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

This morning I used a Black Beauty in my Super Adjustable dialed all the way down to #1. Two WTG passes for a not-so-close but very enjoyable shave. I have a few of these left and I think I'll stick with adjustables on low settings. Any other razor I've tried them in resulted in uncomfortable pulling.
Rich
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

This blade only provided a serviceable shave for me in the Futur, but then again I think the Futur can get a serviceable shave from a piece of broken glass.

It was a horror show in the SS. As usual, YMMV....
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
infotech

Post by infotech »

I used a five pack of these blades with two razors: an aluminum handled ball-end tech and an no date code Super SPeed. I got pretty decent shaves out of both of them.

This is probably the most controversial blade on the market :twisted:
James