Gillette Blue Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BF4MVP

Gillette Blue Blades

Post by BF4MVP »

Does anyone have any experience in shaving with these blades? I recently won a Gillette Diplomat Razor as well as 10 Blue Blades. Any insite as what I can expect will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Regards,
BF4MVP
4PACK
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I think you should expect a sub-par blade in terms of smoothness and sharpness. The Blues are made of carbon steel and unless they have been carefully stored in an airtight container they have probably deteriorated over time.
Rich
k1rod

Re: Gillette Blue Blades

Post by k1rod »

BF4MVP wrote:Does anyone have any experience in shaving with these blades? I recently won a Gillette Diplomat Razor as well as 10 Blue Blades. Any insite as what I can expect will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Regards,
BF4MVP
Keep them very far away from your face.... These blades are beautiful collectors items. They are awesome tributes to the history of shaving. Display them! Hang them on your wall! Package them with nice vintage DE razors you want to sell on ebay but never, never ever, shave with them.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

expect pulling, tugging, agony, and general discomfort.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Which is to say, they may have been excellent blades when they were new, but they're certainly ruined now, even if they look OK.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

notthesharpest wrote:Which is to say, they may have been excellent blades when they were new, but they're certainly ruined now, even if they look OK.

i should have put that first :wink:
Simpleminded Rob

Post by Simpleminded Rob »

The "blue blades," compared with today's stainless blades, didn't give a great shave, so when Gillette came out with the stainless blades (back in the '60's if I recall correctly), you could get several days to a week out of one blade where a blue-blade might give a single shave. Be glad that technology has improved so much.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Is there such a thing as a coated non-stainless blade, with platinum and/or teflon?

My impression is that the most popular uses for recently made "blue" blades are for preparing microscope slides and hobby uses such as cutting balsa wood. They are supposed to be sharper than stainless blades, but harsher to shave with.
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

I remember starting to shave with the "Thin" The Blue Blade was an improvement, instead of one shave I could get 2-3. Great blessings on the inovator who brought us the stainless blade. 4-6 shaves! In other words, unless you enjoy pain, don't go there. :twisted:
Jim